Learning to Live Again

Chapter 8:
Losing Control

Written by: Peter

Disclaimer: The Vampire Diaries are the property of L.J. Smith and the CW Network. I’m just writing about them for the fun of it.

Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: Post-season 3 finale.

Pairing: Stefan/Elena


For over a century I've lived in secret
Hiding in the shadows, alone in the world...
Until now.
I shouldn't have come home.
I know the risk.
But...I have to know her!
I am a vampire—this is my story.
-Stefan Salvatore

The white light fades from Jeremy's eyes, as the graveyard appears back into view. Something is different, though—everything's still. Dead. The colours are muted too—he guesses it's a trick of the light.

“What happened?” he asks, lifting his hand to rub his eyes. “Everything's all...”

However, when Jeremy sees his hand, his eyes go wide. A shimmering blue light surrounds it. He looks down, and sees that it's not just his hand—it was his entire body. He was glowing.

“Easy—I know it's disorienting at first...” Alaric says, grabbing his arm to steady him. “Guess he was right—the necklace let you pass between worlds.”

“This is the other side?” Jeremy asks, still shaken. “Why am I glowing blue?”

“Because you're still alive.”

Jeremy turns to see John Gilbert standing there.

“When Bonnie Bennett pulled you back from the brink of death, you were nearly gone,” John explains. “As a result, you have a foothold in each world. That's why you can see ghosts—and why you're the only person who can be here without dying.”

“Uncle John?” Jeremy asks, still having trouble believing it.

“It's good to see you again, Jeremy,” John greets him with a smile. “A pity it's not under better circumstance.”

“You were right,” Alaric tells him. “The talisman let me bring him here.”

“Can I see it?”

Alaric hesitates for a moment, unsure.

“Come on, Ric,” John sighs. “I was telling the truth about Jeremy crossing over, wasn't I? You're going to have to start trusting me.”

“It's right here,” Jeremy says, handing it to him.

John stares at the necklace in awe. It's emitting the same blue glow that Jeremy is.

“Perfect—perfect!” John says, a wild-eyed look on his face. “This is exactly what we need.”

A sudden gust of wind blows through the cemetery. John freezes.

“What was that?” Alaric asks.

“Damn!” John curses. “I knew it was a mistake to be out in the open. But we needed the extra boost of magic. We need to get out of here!”

The shadows seem to come alive—physically 'leaping' from the side of one grave to the next. Jeremy gasps as one of the 'shadows' has glowing red eyes appear on its 'face'.

“What the hell?!?”

“Back, Jeremy!” John orders, pointing his hand out.

As he does so, smoke bellows from John's hand—forming a taser. He fires it, striking one of the shadows. A loud, high-pitched scream echoes, as it evaporates.

Satisfied, John lets go of the taser, and it vanishes in a puff of smoke again.

“How did you do that?” Alaric asks. “Where did you get that weapon?”

“I got it from me!” John explains. “Focus your energy—try to imagine yourself wielding a weapon. Anything to defend yourself...”

The three of them run through the cemetery, as more of the shadows appear to give chase.

“Electricity kills these things?” Jeremy questions him.

“Nothing kills them, Jeremy, they're already dead!” John tries to explain. “We can cause them to discorporialize, but they'll reform eventually.”

“What are they?” Alaric asks.

“Spirits of the dead who let their anger and bitterness consume them until that's all that's left. All they have to focus on is anger and revenge. They refuse to move on, and lose their sense of self.”

“Why are they attacking us?” Jeremy asks.

“There's your answer!” John announced, pointing towards the front gate of the cemetery.

Standing right there is the last person any of them wanted to see again.

“Esther!” Alaric growls.

“A strong enough will can command these shades,” the original witch explain. “But enough of that—I believe you have something that belongs to me.”

“It was never yours!” John tells her, coldly.

Esther smiles at John Gilbert.

“Well—you're certainly more informed than I gave you credit for, Jonathan,” she compliments him. “Have you been speaking with the wraith? I'm didn't think he even remembered his own name.”

She turns to Alaric.

“You failed me, Mr. Saltzman,” she accuses him. “Get my talisman back from John, and I'll be willing to give you another chance.”

Alaric takes a step towards her.

“Ric, no...” Jeremy protests.

Alaric reaches a hand towards Esther, smirking.

Suddenly, smoke billows around his arm, forming a crossbow. It fires, striking Esther in the heart. She collapses to the ground—causing the shadows to scatter.

“Go to hell, you old hag!”

She laughs, pulling the arrow out—much to Alaric's surprise.

“She's too powerful to deal with that way!” John explains. “We need to leave—now!”

“Give me—that necklace!” Esther demands, floating through the air towards them.

“Run!” Alaric exclaims, pushing John out of the way. Esther grabs Alaric by the throat, lifting him up off his feet.

“Poor pitiful poltergeist,” she sighs. “You may have power in the living world, but here you're no more than another lost spirit. No matter—you can still be useful to me.”

“Let—him—GO!”

John, Alaric, and Esther's yes all go wide a they look towards Jeremy. The blue light surrounding him has started to blaze like a candle.

“Impossible...” Esther gasps.

Jeremy reaches for her, and Esther finds herself thrown backwards—crashing against the stone wall of one of the crypts. Alaric climbs to his feet, still shocked.

“How did you do that?” he asks.

“I—don't know...” Jeremy says in amazement, staring at his hands as the light returns to normal. “I just wanted to help you and—wham.”

A high-pitched screech sounds around them, as the shadows begin to move.

“Can you do it again?” John asks.

Jeremy's eyes narrow, as the blue light around his hands blaze like twin torches. They run towards the exit, with Jeremy leading the way. Each time a shadow tries to attack, one swipe of Jeremy's hand causes it to evaporate.

As they reach the gate, it slams shut.

“Come on!”

Jeremy jumps in an attempt to scale the gate—only to find himself hovering in the air like Esther had done.

“Are you freaking kidding me?!?” Alaric asks. “Did you know he could fly?”

“Are you complaining?” John responds.

“Just shut up and hold on!” Jeremy told them, before grabbing each of them by the hand and flying them over the gate.

Once they're gone, Esther picks herself up, dusting herself off—eyes narrowed.

“It appears they have a secret weapon, doesn't it?” a voice calls from behind her. “You should stick to what you're good at, my darling—looking at the bigger picture. Leave the hunts to me.”

“Jonathan Gilbert knows more than we thought, Mikael,” she tells him. “And that boy—he's more dangerous than I imagined. He could ruin everything.”

Mikael nods in agreement.

“It's possible he doesn't know his uncle's true plans,” he reassured her. “He's just a boy who wishes to protect his loved ones. He might help us yet.”

*****

Back in the real world...

“Jeremy?” Elena called out, as she walked upstairs.

Unfortunately, there was still no sign of him. Where had Jeremy gone? Somewhere with Ric, no doubt.

It felt so strange, thinking that—like Alaric was still around. He was dead, though. Then again, so was she, right?

Elena shook her head. She needed to stop thinking of it like that. She'd drive herself crazy.

“Lose something?”

Elena turned around, gasping, as Damon seemed to appear right behind her.

“I shouldn't be able to still do that,” Damon noted. “You've really got to work on those vampire senses.”

“What do you want?” she asked, coldly.

“Easy, easy—I come in peace,” he assured her, looking almost apologetic. “I just wanted to—you know...”

Elena crosses her arms, waiting for him to continue.

“I admit I wasn't on my best behaviour yesterday,” Damon confesses. “I was drunk, said some things I shouldn't have—acted like a jealous creep.”

Elena waited.

“You're not gonna make me say it, are you?” he pleaded, giving her puppy-dog eyes.

“You're sorry?”

“I am!” Damon confirmed. “And, to prove it—I come bearing gifts!”

He pulls a small vial of liquid out of his jacket, handing it to her.

“What's this?” Elena questioned him.

“Vervain,” he explained. “If you're insisting on the whole school thing, I really think you should start drinking it. Unless you want to end up Rebekah's personal puppet.”

Elena nodded in agreement, before swallowing the contents.

“I wouldn't...” Damon tries to warn her, but it's too late.

Damon cringes as Elena doubles over, gasping for air.

“...drink it all at once,” he chuckles. “That stuff's pretty potent if you haven't built up a tolerance for it yet.”

“I'll keep that in mind...” Elena gasps, trying to pick herself up.

Damon tries to help her to her feet, but she shakes him off.

“Just trying to help,” he says, innocently.

“You can't act this way,” Elena tells him. “I—I know you're hurt right now, but...I really don't need you causing scenes like that in front of Stefan.”

“Aw, he's a big boy,” Damon replied. “He can take it.”

“I mean it, Damon!” Elena warns him. “If you're angry with me, you take it out on me.”

“Now why would I be angry with you?” Damon questions her.

“You know why.”

Damon looks at her, innocently.

“I'm sorry,” Elena sighs. “Ok, I'm sorry about my choice of words that night, but—you erased my memory, Damon! How was I supposed to know?”

“If you had met me first, things might have been different,” Damon recalled. “Well, you did meet me first. Doesn't change anything, does it?”

“No,” Elena answered, firmly.

“Oh well,” Damon says, with a shrug. “Nothing much I can do then, is there? The better man won. I coincide defeat.”

Elena looks at him, surprised.

“You're—not hurt?” Elena questions him.

“Oh, I'm heartbroken,” he corrects her. “That's the beauty of being a vampire, though. You don't have to feel something if you don't want to. Just tuck it away until I want to deal with it.”

Damon's words make Elena feel slightly uncomfortable.

“I just hope not everything has to go back to the old status quo,” Damon suggests. “You know—you and Stefan like two peas in a pod—me the uninvited intruder. I'd like to think you and I got to be pretty good friends while Stef was off the rails.”

He smiles at her.

“It'd be a shame if all that was for nothing.”

“Of course we're still friends,” Elena tells him. “You just have to understand, Damon—that's it. Don't expect anything else.”

“Yeah, I get it,” Damon reassures her. “It's always going to be Stefan. And always, and always, and always—because, you know, for a vampire 'always' is a pretty tall order.”

“I'd—rather just concentrate on the present right now,” Elena muttered. “It's senior year—I want to make it into college first before I think about long-term...”

“Just take a year off,” Damon suggests. “Not like you're gonna get any older...”

Elena freezes, realizing Damon was telling the truth.

“You and Stefan planning on rooming together?” Damon asked. “I mean, he's already got you wearing his engagement ring, so I just assumed...”

Elena spun around at full vampire-speed, her eyes wide in shock.

“What—what did you say?”

Damon cringed.

“I wasn't supposed to say that, was I?” he admitted. “Whoops. I just—you know—assumed Stefan already told you.”

Elena shook her head.

“I'm sure he was just waiting for the right moment,” Damon suggested.

“I've—I've gotta get to class...” Elena told him, still shaken up. “We'll, uh—we'll talk later.”

“I'll be at the Grill,” Damon informed her. “Say hi to my baby brother for me, will you?”

Elena headed downstairs. Once she's gone, a smirk appears on Damon's face.

This was going to be almost too easy. Sure, Stefan would probably be sore at him—but he was doing this for Stefan as much as for himself. Once this was over, if Rebekah held up her end of the plan, they'd all be better off.

All three of them.

One big, happy blood-drinking family.

*****
P>Sometime later, at Mystic Falls High School...

Elena runs down the track surrounding the football field, easily passing everyone else.

“Try to pace yourself.”

It was just then that Elena realized Stefan was running right next to her.

“You need to act like this is taking more effort than it actually is,” Stefan explains. “Act like you're tired—take short breaks every now and then. Otherwise people will notice how easy it is for you.”

“It's too easy,” Elena complained. “I could lap everyone in phys ed ten times before they passed the first quarter. Not giving it my all—it's driving me crazy.”

“I know,” Stefan admits. “You just need to keep reminding yourself that it's all about fitting in. Using your powers, even a little bit—it wouldn't be fair to the other students who are giving it their all.”

Elena stops running, turning to Stefan.

“Don't you just—I don't know,” she asks him. “Wish you could just let lose. I feel like I've got all this power bottled up inside of me, and I never get the chance to use it. Caroline, she—she was showing me it didn't have to be dangerous. That it could be fun, too.”

Stefan nods in agreement.

“Tell you what—during winter break, we'll go somewhere,” Stefan promised. “A deserted island in the tropics, maybe. Somewhere you can cut loose without worrying about drawing attention to yourself. We'll even invite Caroline, if you want.”

Elena smiles.

“I'd like that,” she agrees. “After this past year, I could use a vacation.”

Stefan was so preoccupied with Elena's brilliant smile that he failed to notice one of the other students running straight towards him. Before Stefan realized what was happening, he found himself shoved to the ground.

“Hey!” Stefan exclaimed.

“Watch it, @#$%!” the guy said, mockingly, before running off.

As Elena helped Stefan to his feet, she had to force herself not to giggle. She recognized the boy right away—but poor Stefan seemed completely at a loss.

“Jerk!” he muttered, before seeing Elena's amused expression. “You have any idea what that was about?”

“You seriously don't remember?” Elena questioned him.

Stefan shook his head.

“Well—when Klaus compelled you, you started following me around like an over-eager bodyguard,” Elena explained. “That guy bumped into me, and you—uhh--did the same thing he did to you right now.”

Stefan's face fell.

“You—also called me a human blood bag.”

Stefan looked like he was about to fall into despair.

“I am so sorry,” he whispered.

“It's ok...” Elena assured him. “I know that wasn't you.”

“But it was,” he told her. “Elena—everything that person did to you—that's trapped inside me. I'm still capable of it. My grip on my humanity is the only thing keeping that part of me locked up.”

“What's it like, coming back from that?” Elena questions him.

“Like you've just woken up from the worst hangover imaginable,” Stefan recalled. “You remember the things you've done, but can't believe it was actually you that was doing them.”

“Did you really not care about me at all?” Elena whispers.

Stefan touches the sides of her face.

“It was different,” Stefan tried to recall. “Everything's vague, but—I remember being impressed. Of admiring your strength, your conviction. Being annoyed that you wanted me to go back. Love is—complicated. There's the part of it that cares—that loves a person so much that their happiness is more important than your own. Then there's the more selfish part. The desire, the need—the part of you that wants someone so badly that you'd do anything to get them.”

“So, that part of you—it still wanted me?” Elena asks.

“It still does,” Stefan explained. “Especially now that you're—well...”

“Because I'm a vampire too,” Elena realizes. “I thought it was just me. That these—urges--were just because I was adjusting to the whole magnified emotions thing. But it's the same for you, isn't it?”

“I don't want to rush you, Elena...”

Elena tightens her grip on Stefan's arms, whispering seductively into his ear.

“And what if I want to be rushed?”

“We're at school...” Stefan reminded her.

“Under the bleachers?” Elena suggested. “I'm sure we can find someplace...”

“Elena?”

Elena pouts.

Suddenly, Stefan's face becomes serious.

“What?”

“You'd better get out of here,” Stefan warns.

Elena turned around to see the source of Stefan's unease—Rebekah.

“I'll handle her,” Stefan assures her.

“I'm not going to spend my entire senior year hiding from her!” Elena said, angrily. “If she was going to attack, she wouldn't make it so obvious—or so out in the open.”

“You're sure?” Stefan asked.

“Have my back?”

Stefan smiled.

“Always.”

Rebekah reached them, eyeing both Stefan and Elena.

“Did you want something?” Elena questioned her.

“Well, aren't you suddenly more confident?” Rebekah commented. “Believe it or not—I'm here to apologize.”

Stefan raises an eyebrow.

“I acted rashly,” Rebekah admits. “I'd just seen my brother killed, and it was the only way I knew to avenge his death—not to mention prevent the remaining members of my family from sharing his fate. As I said, it was nothing personal—but can you honestly say you wouldn't have done the same in my position.”

Elena's face softens for an instant, but then becomes cold again.

“Guess we'll never know,” she comments. “It's not like I have many family members left, thanks to Klaus.”

Rebekah smirks—an act which surprises Stefan. It's almost like she was happy about Elena's response—like she was hoping for it.

“We've even now,” Rebekah continued. “I'm no threat to you anymore. Just thought you should know that.”

“Was that your idea, or Elijah's?” Stefan interjected.

“My brother—may have suggested I be a little more civil,” Rebekah admitted.

“And why is that?” Stefan asked. “What's he after? All the places in the world to live, and you pick Mystic Falls?”

“This was our home long before you were even born, Stefan,” Rebekah reminded him. “But if we're that much of a problem, then feel free to move.”

Stefan let it go, realizing there was nothing to be gained by arguing with her.

“Now, if you'll excuse me...” Rebekah said, changing the subject. “I need to get back to practice.”

She jogs back towards the group of cheerleaders, starting to talk with them.

“Look at her!” Elena growled, angrily. “After what she's done, she just—goes about her business. Like she's done nothing wrong. It isn't fair, Stefan!”

“She's up to something,” Stefan decided. “But what? Why are the originals still here?”

At that moment, Elena got an idea. She rushes over to where Caroline and Bonnie are standing.

“Caroline?” Elena asked. “I need you to get me back on the squad!”

“What?!?” both girls asked in unison.

“What?” Stefan repeated.

“Uh—any particular reason?” Caroline asked, looking towards Rebekah's direction.

“Oh, you know...” Elena shrugs. “It's senior year. I want to make it memorable. What better way than to show some school spirit?”

Caroline shares a worried look with Stefan.

“Why not?” Tyler—who had just appeared behind them—suggested. “I think it's a great idea. You look like you could use a bit of fun.”

Bonnie glares daggers at him. Stefan, however, seems a bit surprised.

“Come on, Stefan,” Tyler laughs. “I'm sure you wouldn't mind seeing her in that uniform, am I right?”

Stefan ignored the insinuation, and turned towards Elena.

“I thought you said it wasn't for you anymore?” he recalled.

“Because I felt like I was a different person,” Elena reminded him. “Well—I'm different yet again. Who knows—maybe it's for me now?”

“If you're sure that's what you want,” Stefan encouraged her. “Just—be careful. In those close quarters, there's a high risk of losing control.”

“I'll be there to watch out for you,” Caroline promised Elena. “Come on—I'll see if I can work something out.”

Caroline grabs Elena's arm and drags her away.

“Oh, she's good!” Tyler laughs. “She's very good. I'm impressed. This is going to drive her nuts.”

“You mean Rebekah,” Stefan realized.

“Elena can't hurt her physically, so she's going after her ego,” Tyler explained, patting Stefan on the shoulder. “You've got yourself a keeper there, Mr. Salvatore.”

There was something about the way Tyler said 'Mr. Salvatore' that made Stefan uneasy. Nevertheless, he had more important concerns at the moment. Still—maybe there was a way to do both.

“You know, I think Elena has the right idea,” Stefan concluded. “It is senior year, and I don't plan to come back to high school anytime soon.”

Tyler raises an eyebrow, as Stefan walks towards the field.

“Tell me he's not...”

Tyler throws his head back and laughs as he watches Stefan.

“He's actually compelling the coach to let him on the football team!” Klaus cheers with glee. “Maybe there's a bit of my old friend in there after all.”

“You're enjoying this a little too much,” Bonnie commented.

“I'm stuck in this body until Elijah feels I've learned my lesson,” he explains. “If this is to be my prison, I might as well enjoy it. I have to admit—I'm curious to see how our friend Elena ends up. That Petrova fire can be volatile. Who knows—her transition might work out in my favour after all.”

“You're delusional, Klaus,” Bonnie scoffed.

“It burns you, doesn't it?” Klaus mocked her. “Knowing your little friend is only steps away from becoming the very thing you hate. Sooner or later, her true nature is going to take hold—holding it back simply makes the eventual result all the more beautiful. We're not evil, Bonnie—we simply are.”

“I won't let my friend become a killer!” Bonnie threatens him.

“And you think you can stop it?” Klaus mocks her. “Now who's delusional?”

Suddenly, he winces in pain, as he falls to the ground.

“You monster...” Bonnie whispers.

“Hey!”

All of a sudden, Matt rushes past Bonnie, kneeling down to help Tyler.

“What's the heck, Bonnie?” he accused her. “You ok, man?”

“Yeah, don't worry,” Tyler assured him. “We were just having an argument. Supernatural stuff, you know? Bon took it a bit personal.”

Matt stares at Bonnie in disbelief.

“What's gotten into you?” he asked, before helping Tyler to his feet.

As they walk away, 'Tyler' looks back at Bonnie—smirking at her evilly.

She didn't know what to do. She couldn't tell anyone the truth. Yet—if she stayed silent, there was no telling what he could do to them.

Somehow, even with Klaus completely at her mercy, he was still holding all the cards.

*****

The other side...

“Oh wow...”

As Jeremy entered the ghost-like town hall, he stood in shock at the sight in front of him. He'd seen ghosts before, but so many—so many people he'd seen buried, all gathered in one place.

“Jeremy!”

Vicki threw her arms around him, much to Jeremy's surprise.

“Vicki?” he asked. “But you—I thought...”

“One side,” Anna interjected, hugging Jeremy herself.

“Hey!” Vicki protested. “I knew him longer than you!”

“Didn't you try to blow up his sister last time you got out?”

“Ladies!” Lexi interrupted, clapping her hands together to get their attention. “Give the kid some room.”

Reluctantly, the two girls let him go. Lexi winks at Jeremy.

“Two vampires fighting over you, huh?” she asks. “You MUST be related to Elena.”

“Who are you?” he asks.

“I'm an old friend of Stefan Salvatore,” she explains. “I'm sure Elena must have mentioned me.”

“Lexi, right?”

She grins.

“You've got it!”

“Interesting...” Bill Forbes said, examining the necklace that John had just handed to him. “And you're saying this belonged to Esther? How did Elena end up with it?”

“From what I understand, Stefan gave it to her,” Pearl explained. “He found it after Rebekah had been put to sleep, and she obviously inherited it from her mother. Esther stole it from the original owner.”

“Who was the original owner?” Jeremy asked.

Everyone remained silent.

“Hey, I brought you the thing!” Jeremy argued.

“And we appreciate it,” John reassured him. “This will give us an advantage over Esther, as soon as we unlock its power.”

“Elena was wearing this around her neck?” Pearl asked. “Yet it never protected her?”

“Of course it did,” Alaric corrected her. “She couldn't be compelled as long as it was around her neck.”

“No, I mean physically protect her,” she clarified. “Wait—why would it stop compulsion.”

“Because of the vervain,” he pointed out, as thought it was obvious.

John, Isobel, Bill, Pearl, Lexi, and Rose all stared at him.

“Inside the necklace?” Pearl questioned him.

“Duh!”

She threw her head back and laughed.

“Stefan Salvatore is either a genius or simply the luckiest vampire alive,” she laughs. “It was the vervain. It blocks enchantment. That's why its power was held in check.”

Opening the necklace, she removes the vervain—and suddenly the necklace begins to float.

“We'll need a witch to channel it,” Pearl explains. “Can she be trusted?”

“Bonnie?” Jeremy asks.

“No, another one,” she explains. “Esther's actions have been—disruptive even among her own kind. Some of them have come to our aid, but they remain hidden.”

“For now, you have to go back,” John explained. “Once we manage to fully unlock this power, we'll contact you.”

“I need that necklace back,” Jeremy told him. “I promised Elena.”

John nods.

“I'll see both of you real soon, Jeremy,” he swears, before hugging his nephew. “Thank you for trusting me.”

“How does he get back without the necklace?” Alaric questions him.

“He should be able to cross over on his own now,” Isobel explained. “Listen, Jeremy—it's just like when you try to pull someone to your world from here. Just focus on where you want to be—and push.”

Jeremy nods.

“See you later, Ric,” he says, before concentrating.

“Hey, you probably want to...” Alaric tried to warn him.

But before they knew it, Jeremy had vanished in a flash of light.

*****

Mystic Falls town hall—specifically, the council room.

“What can we do?” one of the council members argued. “This—ancient vampire—he's indestructible.”

“So he says.”

“Do you really want to risk it?” the first member says. “Our families—our children. Do you want to wager their lives on a gamble that this creature is bluffing?”

“Is being prisoners in our own town better?” his associate challenged. “Forced to comply under the threat of death. We have to do something.”

“Then make a suggestion!” he mocks. “It's not like the answer is just going to appear out of thin air...”

A brilliant flash of light appears int he centre of the council room, and Jeremy Gilbert suddenly materializes out of thin air.

“Uh---” Jeremy says nervously, as several pairs of eyes stare at him in disbelief. “I'm not supposed to be in here, am I?”

*****

Back at the school...

“Should I be worried?”

Stefan looks up at Matt, as he enters the locker room. He's trying on the football uniform.

“It's the same number?” Stefan asked.

“Yeah, I guess the new coach was hoping you'd rejoin at some point,” Matt explained. “Why'd you quiet, anyway?”

“It's not exactly fair for someone with my advantages to be in a competitive sport, you know?” Stefan tells him. “But since Tyler's on the team I thought—what the hey?”

“And it'll help you keep an eye on Elena, right?”

“That too,” Stefan admits. “Have you noticed anything—off about Tyler lately?”

“What do you mean?”

“Has he been acting strange?” Stefan questioned him. “A little more extreme?”

“This is Tyler,” Matt pointed out. “The guy lunged a football at your head and made out with my mom—and that was before he even went werewolf. The guy breathes extreme!”

Stefan's brow furrows.

“Maybe he's just overdoing it because he's happy to be alive?” Matt suggested.

“Maybe...” Stefan conceded. “Still—I think we should keep an eye on him. Just to be on the safe side.”

Stefan adjusted his uniform a little.

“A little snug...”

“You put on some weight?” Matt laughed. “Aren't—uh—isn't being a perfect Adonis some kinda vampire power?”

“Well—when I first joined, I was a little on the skinny side,” Stefan admitted. “Complete absence of human blood. It made me weak. I guess it effected me physically as well.”

The two of them exited the locker room on the field. As they did, both their eyes go wide.

Elena saunters out onto the field, in full cheerleader uniform. She seems to move in slow motion as she passes their line of sight.

Stefan stares at her, mesmerized. Elena notices, and gives him a little wink.

“You—uh--sure perfect figure isn't a vampire power?” Matt asked, his throat dry.

“You might be onto something.” Stefan admits.

Tyler chuckles, shaking his head.

“When the two of you are through picking your jaws up off the ground, it's time to start practising,” he reminds them.

The coach blows the whistle, and they run in that direction.

*****

Later...

Stefan walks towards the bleachers, where he sees Elena lounging—drinking from her 'water' bottle. He sits down next to her.

“I start, you start,” she comments. “We're finally on the same wavelength.”

“Is that what I think it is?” Stefan asks, pointing towards the water bottle.

“It helps with the cravings,” she explains. “You thirsty?”

Stefan stares at the bottle for a moment, before shaking it off.

“Not really...”

A mischievous look crosses Elena's face. Before Stefan can react, she uses super-speed to move herself over Stefan—her face dangerously close to his.

“Elena?” he gasps. “What if someone saw you?”

“They didn't,” Elena reassured him—grinning. “Relax, Stefan. Use that energy for something a little more fun.”

“You need--”

Elena cuts him off with a kiss. She runs her hands over Stefan's chest as she kisses him—throwing caution to the wind.

“You,” she whispers once breaking off the kiss. “I need you, Stefan.”

“You need to slow down,” Stefan cautions her.

“Why?” she pouts. “Practice—it was easy. Too easy. No challenge at all. I don't want to slow down...”

She kisses him again, growling slightly. Her face begins to change.

“Elena!” Stefan exclaims, pushing her towards the side of the bleachers—hiding her face with his body so a group of passing teenagers can't see her eyes.”

“Close one...” she giggles, trying to kiss him again.

“Would you listen to yourself?” Stefan warned her. “Elena, you're losing control of your emotions. I know it's overwhelming, but...”

“I'm turning into an adrenaline junky,” Elena finishes, a serious look appearing on her face. “I know, you're right, but—but I like it. It feels good. Anything feels better than the loss—the regret. Maybe I want to lose myself?”

“Maybe we should go home?” Stefan suggested. “Get some rest—try to clear your head.”

“Is this an engagement ring?”

Elena's question threw Stefan for a loop. After a moment, he nodded—understanding where she got the idea from.

“Damon.” he muttered.

“Answer the question, Stefan!” Elena insisted.

Stefan sighed.

“It was—a long time ago,” he confesses. “Now it's not. I didn't give it to you for that reason, Elena--I would never...”

“I know,” she admits. “I believe you, but—just the fact that—Stefan, I'm reminded of the kind of life I'll never have. That we'll never have. Marriage, children, a family—things everyone else takes for granted you and I will never be able to experience. Just a never ending childhood.”

“Elena...” he whispers, putting his hand on her shoulder.

“I know you won't say it,” she cries. “I know that you—you hate what you are, Stefan. You hate the part of you that wants to feed, and—and kill. Well, I'm the same now. How can you possibly spend the rest of your life with something you hate so much?”

Stefan grabs the sides of Elena's face, looking at her intensely.

“I could never hate you!” he swears. “Never! I love you so much.”

“And I love you, Stefan,” Elena whispers back. “More now than I ever thought possible. That's why I can't stand the thought of letting you down.”

With that, Elena speeds away.

“Elena!” Stefan calls out for her, but she's already gone.

*****

Sometime later, at the Mystic Grill...

Elena sits at the table from earlier, a depressed look on her face. She wanted desperately to find Stefan—to apologize, to say she was sorry. But what good would it do? It wouldn't change anything.

“Now, you look like you could use a little pick-me-up.”

Elena turns to see Damon standing there.

“Please go away...” she asks.

Damon ignores her, and stays right there.

“You know, you don't have to be upset,” he explains. “Whatever happened—whatever's bugging you—you don't have to feel it.”

Elena shook her head, refusing to listen.

“Then just give me half an hour,” Damon suggests. “I want to show you something. No diabolical schemes, no taking advantage. Let me show you some of the positives of being a vampire.”

“There aren't any.” Elena says, her voice dead.

“Give me half an hour to prove you wrong.”

He offers his hand. Reluctantly, Elena takes it.

*****

“Elena?”

Stefan rushes into the boarding house, desperately searching for Elena. If she wasn't here, maybe she went home? All he knew was he needed to talk to her—tell her she was wrong. That it didn't matter to him what she was.

“Those new ones,” a voice calls from a dark corner of his room. “Always so emotional.”

“Rebekah!” Stefan exclaims, in a way that makes the same sound like a curse.

Rebekah steps out of the shadows.

“No need for violence, Stefan,” she warns him. “I'm just here to talk.”

“I'm not interested!” Stefan warned her.

“Nik is alive!”

Stefan freezes.

“I thought that would get your attention.”

So Rebekah was behind Klaus' disappearance? This was his chance to find out what had happened to the original hybrid. And yet...

Something told Stefan that, wherever Elena was right now, she needed him. Badly. That he needed to find her soon. That, if he didn't...then he really might lose her forever.

To Be Concluded

<< Part 7