Learning to Live Again

Chapter 7:
The Silver Lining

Written by: Peter

Disclaimer: The Vampire Diaries are the property of L.J. Smith and the CW Network. I’m just writing about them for the fun of it.

Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: Post-season 3 finale.

Pairing: Stefan/Elena


For over a century I've lived in secret
Hiding in the shadows, alone in the world...
Until now.
I shouldn't have come home.
I know the risk.
But...I have to know her!
I am a vampire—this is my story.
-Stefan Salvatore

The dream always starts the same...

Stefan races through the woods in a panic, taking quick glimpses over his shoulder often to try and catch a glimpse of his pursuer. He's terrified, because he knows the monster is going to catch him. It always catches him in the end.

Stefan stumbles, struggling to regain his footing as he slides over the dirt. His heart is pounding, as the danger approaches.

It's 1864 again, and I'm being hunted. By what, I don't know—I just know that it scares me. Something far more horrible than Katherine, than the hunters—whatever it is, I know I can't let it catch me.

But no matter how fast I run, I can't escape. I can never escape.

Coming to a clearing, Stefan sees a safe haven—his home. The Salvatore mansion stands there, lanterns lit, offering him sanctuary. Protection. Salvation.

“Father!” he yells as he bursts through the front doors. “Damon? You have to help me! Please—it's after me!”

“Nothing can help you, son!”

Stefan turns around to see his father standing there—looking down at him disapprovingly.

“Father?”

“You're damned, Stefan,” Giuseppe Salvatore tells him, shaking his head. “Everything you touch withers and dies—becomes infected by the same poison as you. Your brother, you friends—that poor girl. You made her a monster, Stefan.”

Stefan shook his head violently.

“No—no,” he says. “I can stop it. What do I do? Tell me what to do!”

But before his father can utter a word, something jumps him from behind. It impales him through the heart. The monster Stefan was running from...

...the monster with his face!

“Oh, come on,” the Ripper taunts him. “You really gonna take advice from that pompous old fool? Just listen to me, Stefan. Haven't I always been here for you? Making the pain go away...”

“SHUT UP!” Stefan growled. “I don't need you. I hate you!”

He lunges at the Ripper. However, he's stopped by a sheet of glass—a mirror separating him from his dark reflection.

The Ripper laughs.

“You think you've beaten me, Stef?” he asks. “Locked me in a cage? Just like all the other times, I'm gonna get out. It's just a matter of time. You need me!”

Stefan turns away from the mirror, heading towards the door. The moment he opens it, however, he comes face-to-face with a second tormentor.

“Going somewhere, old friend?”

“Klaus?” Stefan gasps.

Klaus grabs him by the neck, slamming him through a nearby table.

“Don't you have any appreciation for me?” Klaus accuses him. “After everything I've done for you?”

“Just kill me and get it over with!” Stefan spat at him.

Klaus laughs, letting him up.

“Kill you?” he asks. “Now why would I do that? We're friends, aren't we?”

“You're a monster!”

Klaus smirks.

“And what are you, Mr. Salvatore?” he responds, motioning behind Stefan. “Just look at your handiwork!”

Stefan turns, as he sees the horrific sight in front of him. Bodies lay sprawled across the floor of the old mansion. Some he recognizes—others he doesn't. Yet he knows they're all his victims. All people who died because of him. Either by his hand, or his inability to save them.

“A true ripper enjoys the kill,” Klaus tells him, placing his hand supportingly on Stefan's shoulder. “Feel free to indulge...”

Stefan shakes his head, trying to fight it—even as his eyes start to fill with blood.

“That's more like it...” the person behind him says, but the voice is no longer Klaus'. She leans in close...

“Just make sure you save some for me,” Elena whispers seductively into his ear.

Stefan opens his mouth, letting his fangs grow into place—and roars.

*****

Stefan sits up in bed, gasping in horror. He runs his fingers through his hair, forcing the images of the nightmare out of his head.

Dear Journal,

The nightmares are a constant reminder of what I've been though. They remind me of everything I've overcome--yet, at the same time, that my torment isn't over. It's far from over. No matter how hard I try to have a normal life, I'm still a vampire—that's one thing that will never change, and my potential for destruction will always be a factor.

Yet, there's always been something that drew me back into the light. Hope. Hope that, one day, I could find something that made the fight worthwhile. A chance to be happy. To be content. That possibility has been what has kept me going all these years.

Now, though, I can't help but worry. Now that I've found what I've spent my entire life looking for, what is there to keep me from falling over the edge? Or worse—from dragging Elena with me.

The Gilbert house...

Dear diary,

Elena frantically moves through the living room, picking up pieces of newspaper, discarded coats, video game controllers, and other things she finds lying around. She moves with inhuman speed, desperately trying to tidy up the place.

I've spent the past week feeling sorry for myself, drowning in a sea of my own misery. While I'm not exactly happy with my new existence, mourning the old Elena isn't going to help anyone—least of all myself. I need to move on. Accept what's happened, and do the best I can with the hand that fate's dealt me.

She races upstairs to place the retrieved items in Jeremy's room—only to find it even more of a mess than the living room had been.

“Jeremy!!!!” she hollers.

I need to pull myself together—if not for my own sake, then for Jeremy's. I'm his only living(unliving) relative, which makes me Jeremy's legal guardian. I need to be setting an example. Start taking care of him instead of letting him take care of me. I think I'll start by an annoyingly long lecture about picking up after yourself.

Elena moves to her room, opening the dresser drawer. There, she pulls out the white oak stake—staring at it.

But a part of me can't let it go. The part that wants to see the people responsible pay for ruining my life. That's why I have to keep moving forward. Because if I stop, even for a second, I'm scared of what I could do.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings. Elena replaces the stake, and is downstairs in an instant.

“Hey,” Stefan greets her at the door. “You're not busy, are you?”

“No, just planning to kill Jeremy,” Elena tells him. “I mean—figuratively. Not actually. His room's a mess. This whole house is a mess, actually. I'm rambling. Come in.”

“Actually, I need you to come with me, Elena,” Stefan informs her, his voice serious. “There's something you need to see.”

Elena starts to get worried. She nods.

“Lead the way.”

*****

“So what's this big emergency?” Elena asks Stefan, as they enter the boarding house. “Is it about the council? Have you found Klaus' body yet?”

“Not exactly...”

“Just tell me it's not Esther and the ghosts again,” she sighs. “I knew it was a mistake giving Jeremy...”

However, as the two of them enter the living room...

“SURPRISE!!!!”

Elena's mouth fell open as her assembled friends leapt out from behind the couch. Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, Jeremy, and Tyler were all there.

“We got you!” Caroline cheered. “Bonnie finally got that magic soundproofing smoke thing to work.”

“Was there ever any doubt?” Bonnie replied. “What can I say? I'm awesome.”

Elena looked over at Stefan, who was smiling smugly.

“You planned this!” she accused him.

“It was Caroline's idea,” Stefan explained. “I went just went along with it.”

“No explanation necessary,” she commented. “I know how scary Caroline can be when she's planning something.”

Caroline runs up to Elena and hugs her.

“Not that I'm not incredibly flattered right now, but—my birthday's not until the summer,” Elena explained.

“Oh, this isn't a birthday party,” Matt corrected her. “Happy funeral!”

Elena shakes her head in understanding.

“I probably should have guessed,” she said.

“Did I miss something here?” Tyler questions them. “Don't tell me the constant death and destruction has made the rest of you all morbid.”

“Remember Caroline's birthday?” Matt explained. “Well, she didn't feel like celebrating, since she wasn't really growing older anymore. So Elena came up with the idea to throw her a funeral instead.”

“So I thought—hey, why not return the favour?” Caroline added.

“I like it,” Jeremy shrugged. “We're kinda like the Adams Family.”

“I was thinking more like the Munsters,” Matt argued.

“What does that make you, the chick?” Jeremy teased.

Tyler shook his head in disbelief.

'Oh, lighten up!'

'Tyler' turned to see his other self leaning against the door frame.

'They're trying to have fun,' the real Tyler explained. 'After the stuff you've put them through, I'd say they deserve a little break.'

Klaus rolls his eyes, yet he knew better than to make a scene.

“Thank you,” Elena tells her assembled friends. “All of you. I know I—well, I haven't been the best friend lately.”

“You've had good reason,” Bonnie pointed out.

“Maybe so,” Elena sighed. “But I'm not the only person who's lost something. Your mom, Matt's sister, Tyler's uncle, Caroline's dad. There isn't a person in this room who hasn't suffered because of the supernatural.”

As Elena speaks, she sneaks a look towards Stefan. Even as she does, she notices a shape watching from the doorway: Damon. He smirks at her knowingly.

Elena ignores him, focusing on her friends.

“Feeling sorry for myself isn't going to make all this go away,” Elena admits. “I just have to find some way to move on—like you have.”

“You don't have to go through it alone,” Caroline assured her. “Maybe you haven't heard, but—I do have some experience in the whole 'new vampire' department. In fact—I'm kind of insulted you didn't come to me.”

“I didn't want to burden you...”

“Pft!” Caroline scoffs, cutting her off. “End of discussion. From this moment on, consider me your study-buddy for all things vampish.”

“Ok,” Elena replied, feeling a little awkward. “So—who wants to start?”

“Alas, poor Elena!” Damon said dramatically, as he entered the room—holding a glass of bourbon. “I knew her, Horatio! A gal of infinite jest—ok, that's a blatant lie. Girl couldn't take a joke. Really could have learned to lighten up once in awhile, if you ask me.”

All of a sudden, Elena felt very uncomfortable—something that didn't escape Stefan's notice.

“Damon, I think we should give them some privacy,” Stefan suggested, trying to lure Damon towards the library.

However, Damon was having none of it—freeing his arm from Stefan's grasp.

“Come on, Stef—I'm just getting started,” he argued. “You've gotta let me give a eulogy. You know—since I was the last person the deceased spoke to and everything.”

“I was in the car with her,” Matt interjected.

“Ok, last important person,” Damon sighed. “Don't be a stickler for the details, Mutt.”

“Have you been drinking?” Bonnie asks him.

“Only booze, I promise,” Damon swore, putting up his hands innocently. “Unless you're offering?”

Damon smirks at Bonnie, causing her to turn away in disgust.

“Damon...” Stefan warned him, becoming serious. He understood that Damon was still upset about the ring, but enough was enough.

“You really know how to take the 'fun' out of funeral, you know that little brother?” Damon complained.

Damon turns to leave, but then stops—noticing his surroundings.

“You know, this reminds me of something,” he remarks. “I was standing in this very spot the first time Elena visited the boarding house. Man—those were the days. Elena was completely clueless, me and Barbie were a thing...”

Now it was Caroline's turn to look uncomfortable. Stefan looked about ready to physically toss Damon out of the room.

“And hey—Stefan gave me the exact same look, as I recall,” Damon laughed. “Remember what you said when I introduced myself, Elena?”

“I told you I didn't even know Stefan had a brother,” Elena recalled.

“And yet, from that first meeting here we are—friends now,” Damon remarked.

He paused a moment, feigning confusion.

“That was the first time we met, wasn't it?” he asked. “Correct me if I'm wrong—my memory's a little fuzzy...”

Elena's look grew cold. Stefan's gaze went back and forth between them, sensing something was going on that he wasn't aware of.

“No, that sounds about right,” she responded. “As far as I know.”

Damon smirks.

“Ashes to ashes...” he says, before raising his glass and exiting the room.

“Talk about a sore loser!” Tyler scoffed, shaking his head.

“Elena?” Stefan asks, putting his hand on her shoulder.

“Can we get out of here?” she pleads. “Suddenly, I—I need some fresh air.”

The others all nod in agreement.

*****

At the same time, across town, at the Mikaelson mansion...

Rebekah presses a small carving attached to the fireplace, causing a panel to slide open on the other side of the room. She smiles in amusement—how typical of Nik. He always had a flare for the dramatic. Just like those detective stories he'd been so interested in a century ago. He'd always admired the creativity the killers had woven into their plans, seeing how they'd duped everyone else. Artists, Nik had called them—yet the authors always had them caught in the end.

It was one of the few things Nik admired about the human race: their creativity. The artists, the musicians, the serial killers—a thousand years later, and they still managed to impress him every now and again. Or, at least they had...

Rebekah shook the thought out of her head as she descended the hidden staircase. She was convinced this was all an elaborate ploy by her brother to punish her for her defiance. But if she was wrong—if Elijah really was telling the truth...

She had to know.

As she reached the bottom of the stairs, Rebekah entered an ornate catacomb. It reminded her of things the Romanian vampires had shown her centuries back—they always tried to make their tombs look like palaces. Archways and white sheets and marble tables. Even the coffins were arranged in a pattern. There were marble statues of Mikael and Finn—depicting them in their prime—standing against the walls. In place of their coffins, no doubt, since their bodies were destroyed by the white oak. On the opposite side was a painting of Elena Gilbert.

No, Rebekah reminded herself—not Elena. It was an older work—painted before this town had even been founded. It both sickened and saddened her that her brothers would keep it here, among their family.

She wondered which of them had placed it there.

Rebekah then passed one open coffin, seeing her mother lying inside—no, Esther, she corrected herself. She had no mother. Not anymore. Nervously, she approached another open coffin.

“By Odin...” she gasped, upon seeing the contents.

“I haven't heard you swear to the gods in centuries,” Elijah remarked, approaching from behind.

“I haven't seen anything horrible enough to warrant it,” she whimpered. “Oh Elijah...”

She buried her face into her brother's shoulder, and Elijah gave her a reassuring squeeze.

“His body—it wasn't destroyed,” she realized. “You know what that means? He's alive—Nik is alive.”

“He is,” Elijah agreed. “But the damage is severe. It will take time before he's able to move under his own power again.”

“Couldn't we bring him blood?” she suggested. “Fresh blood, if that's what it takes.”

“I've tried—no change,” Elijah sighed. “The blood he took from Elena before the Salvatores defeated him might help, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.”

He turns to Rebekah, acting serious.

“I need you to be on your best behaviour,” Elijah instructed her. “If you keep attacking Elena, sooner or later they're going to retaliate.”

“I'm not afraid of them...” Rebekah tried to argue.

“You should be!” he cut her off. “Niklaus wasn't afraid of them either, and look where it got him. Esther, Katerina, the hybrids—each of them made the error of underestimating what they're capable of. What they lack in strength, they more than make up for in ingenuity. Now, thanks to you, they have one more vampire to add to their ranks.”

Rebekah laughed.

“Oh, please!” she scoffed. “You just don't want me hurting your precious Elena. What is it about her that get all of you so—soft? Or is it something else?”

Rebekah looks towards the portrait. For a moment, a small hint of anger enters Elijah's eyes.

“There are few things I won't discuss with you, sister,” he warns her in a low voice. “That is one of them.”

Realizing she's gone too far, Rebekah nods.

“You're far too impulsive,” he sighs. “Like Niklaus—it's why the two of you have always been so close. I want you to consider, though, that their group may be more useful as allies than enemies. That's one of the reasons I persuaded the town council to leave them alone—in the hopes that, perhaps, there can be a truce. You're not helping my plans.”

Rebekah crosses her arms.

“Fine,” she says. “She killed me, I killed her—I suppose that makes us even.”

“Again, you misunderstand me,” Elijah corrected her. “I don't want you to be 'even'--I want them to be indebted to us. Or, at the very least, consider themselves to be on the same side as us. Can you do that?”

Rebekah smiles, a plan forming in her head.

“I think I can manage,” she tells him.

*****

The cemetery...

Jeremy Gilbert walks pass the gravestones, nervously looking over his shoulder as he goes. It wasn't that he was afraid, no—he just wanted to make sure he wasn't followed.

He made his way towards the old Salvatore crypt. It was the first time he'd been back there since that night.

“You sure picked the worst place to do this, Ric,” Jeremy commented.

“Think of it as a magic hotspot,” Alaric explained, as he walked out from the crypt door. “There are certain places in Mystic Falls where magic flows a little stronger, making it easier to bend the rules. Bonnie's witch house is kind of enemy territory right now.”

“It's so weird,” Jeremy told him. “A little while ago, we were depending on Bonnie's ancestors to help us save Elena. Now they want to kill her.”

“All they've ever wanted was Klaus dead,” Alaric explains. “The only thing that's changed is they don't care who else gets hurt in the process. Or maybe they always knew what would happen, and were just keeping it from us.”

“Klaus isn't dead?” Jeremy asked. “Where is he then?”

“I don't know,” Alaric sighs. “I can see things I couldn't before, but I'm not omnipotent. It would help if I knew what his energy felt like.”

Jeremy looks at him, confused.

“It's complicated,” he explains. “Ghost stuff. Did you get the talisman?”

“Right there,” Jeremy tells him, reaching into his pocket to pull out the necklace. “You're not going to do anything to it, are you? Elena wants it back.”

Alaric takes the necklace—surprised that he can hold it.

“My god...” he whispers. “And Stefan was using this to hold vervain? That's like arming mall cops with a nuke. The power in this thing—I wish you could feel it, Jer.”

“Can it really increase my powers?” Jeremy asks.

“According to the other side brain-trust it can,” he answers. “It's dangerous, though—are you sure you want to do this? Accept that kind of responsibility?”

“What do you mean?” Jeremy questions him.

“Right now, you're more or less normal,” Alaric cautions him. “Yeah, you can see ghosts, but other than that you can go about your life like an average kid. But we're talking about having complete control over the doorway between dimensions, Jeremy. Accept that kind of power, and you can kiss the idea of a normal life goodbye.”

“My sister's a vampire, Ric!” Jeremy reminded him. “I'm never gonna have a normal life either way—not without giving her up. I've had enough of not being able to help—if this thing can give me the power to make some kind of a difference, I want it.”

“Ok,” Alaric says with a nod. “Get ready then, because you're about to see a lot of familiar faces.”

Alaric hands Jeremy the necklace back, keeping his hand on it as well.

“Fasten your seatbelt, Gilbert—next stop, the other side!”

“Wait—what?!?” Jeremy tries to ask.

Suddenly, a bright blue light erupts from the necklace, enveloping the both of them. In a flash, both Jeremy and Alaric vanish from sight.

*****

The Mystic Grill...

“So, somehow, we managed to get back to the house, before her parents,” Bonnie explained. “Only barely. Five minutes later, the car pulls into the driveway. Elena asks Miranda how the meeting went, as though we spent the entire time they were gone studying.”

“This is the best part!” Matt says with a smirk.

“Oh god..” Elena adds, covering her face.

“So Miranda, she just smiles, and she says...” Bonnie continues. “I hope you filled up the gas tank.”

Caroline giggles. Stefan just stares at Elena with an adoring look on his face.

“I was a troublemaker,” Elena admits.

“You were a teenager,” he corrects her.

“An irresponsible teenager,” Elena clarifies. “You probably would have been disappointed with me if you knew me back then—I was a handful.”

“Was she ever!” Matt remarked.

Elena gave him a look, causing Matt to recoil.

“Hey, hey—mere mortal here!” he reminded her. “I miss the days when I was the strongest person in our social circle.”

“What about Tyler?” Caroline questioned him.

“I rest my case!”

“Oh, please!” Tyler scoffed.

“Hey, I won enough arm-wrestling competitions to back up my claim!” Matt teased him. “Just because you're a mutant werepire now doesn't mean I didn't totally own you back in the day.”

“Doesn't mean I like hearing you say it, mate!” Tyler replied. “You're wounding my ego.”

“Mate?” Matt laughed. “That's a new one.”

Bonnie quickly interjected.

“He's been watching too many British dramas,” she said. “The slang just works its way into your vocabulary.”

“I think it makes me sound cultured,” Tyler adds.

“I'd prefer french,” Caroline tells him, suggestively.

All of a sudden, Tyler winces—a sharp pain in his head.

“What's wrong?”

“Nothing, sweetie,” he reassures her. “Just a slight headache. I probably just need some air.”

“I should be heading home,” Matt admits. “I'm really glad you're feeling better, Elena.”

“I can give you a lift, if you'd like,” Stefan suggested.

Matt hesitates for a moment, but then nods.

“Yeah—sure,” he agrees. “Thanks.”

Stefan turns back to Elena.

“I'll see you later,” Stefan tells her, before the two share a kiss. “Have fun.”

Stefan leaves with Matt. Elena watches him, not realizing that Bonnie, Caroline, and Tyler are all staring at her.

“What?”

“When did you two get back together?” Caroline demands, snapping her fingers. “Come on—details, details.”

“Just a few days ago,” Elena admits. “Really, it's no big deal.”

“No big deal she says!” Caroline almost shrieks. “Come on, Elena—with all the drama recently, I expected an official announcement.”

“I suppose that explains why Damon was such a lush,” Tyler chuckled. “How'd he take your decision, if you don't mind me asking?”

“I think this qualifies as 'girl talk', Tyler!” Bonnie warns him.

“My favourite kind!” he retorts.

“Go on!” Caroline interjects, waving him away. “Shoo—shoo!”

He sighs in frustration.

“You are no fun!” Tyler complains, before exiting the grill.

“I swear, I don't know what's gotten into him lately,” Caroline pondered.

A guilty look comes over Bonnie's face.

“Ok—spill, Gilbert!” Caroline encourages her.

“I don't know, it just kind of happened,” Elena tried to explain. “I guess Klaus dying had a lot to do with it. At the moment—I thought you were all going to die. I had to seriously think about it. Who I wanted to be with in those final moments. In the end, it all came down to who I couldn't stand to lose. Stefan.”

“Ok, but—isn't this kind of sudden?” Bonnie asks her. “After what happened, I would think that dating would be the last thing on your list of priorities.”

“That's exactly it,” Elena admits. “Right now, being with Stefan is the only thing about my life that feels natural.”

Both girls give her confused looks.

“It used to be so difficult,” Elena recalled. “Being with Stefan always made me happy, but there were all these uncertainties. The risks, the dangers, worrying about our future together. We were too different, but now...”

“Now you're the same,” Bonnie concludes. “I guess I can see how that might be comforting. But Elena—think about everything that's happened the past couple of months. Before the accident. It wasn't too long ago that Stefan was completely out of control. Are you sure you can trust him?”

“Klaus did that to him,” Elena insisted, starting to feel defensive. “Bonnie, it wasn't his fault!”

“Maybe, but he's still a vampire!” Bonnie argued. “You know what they're capable of!”

Elena's face falls.

It only takes a second for Bonnie to realize her mistake. Immediately, she becomes regretful.

“Elena, I—I didn't mean...” she tries to apologize.

“Yeah, you did,” Elena tries to say calmly. “Vampires are dangerous. Unpredictable. You can never tell what one is capable of.”

Bonnie opens her mouth to speak, but Elena doesn't give her the chance.

“I need some air...”

Elena gets up and exits the building. Bonnie turns to Caroline.

“I'll go talk to her,” Caroline promises.

“Maybe I should...”

“No offence, Bonnie, but you really don't know what she's going through right now,” Caroline tells her. “I do. Let me handle this.”

Bonnie nods reluctantly, as Caroline follows after Elena.

*****

Meanwhile, Stefan's car pulls up in Matt's driveway.

“Thanks for the lift,” Matt tells him as they exit the vehicle. “There was insurance on my truck, but it's going to take a few days for it to clear.”

“Sorry about that,” Stefan apologized.

“About my truck?” Matt asks in surprise.

“About everything,” Stefan explains. “Elena, Caroline, your sister—you shouldn't have to be a part of this, Matt.”

“I don't really got a choice, you know?” Matt admits. “People I care about are a part of this.”

Stefan nods.

“You still love her, don't you?”

Matt blinks, taken aback by Stefan's words.

“Yeah—yeah, I do,” Matt sighs. “You're probably not okay with that.”

“I'd be a pretty big hypocrite if I didn't understand,” Stefan admits. “Elena, she's—she's a very special girl. I can't even imagine how anyone could resist falling for her. I don't resent you, if that's what you're worried about.”

“There really isn't any middle ground with you, is there?” Matt remarked. “You're either the nicest, most understanding guy on the planet or you're a total heartless creep?”

“That other person—it wasn't me,” Stefan assures him. “That's just what anyone becomes when they turn it off.”

“Turn it off?” Matt questions him.

“I told you the other day how a vampire's emotions are so much stronger than a human's,” Stefan explains. “We're stronger, faster—but the changes happen on the inside, too. But unlike a human, feeling those emotions is completely optional. If we want, we can shut it off.”

“You don't have to feel pain or loss?” Matt asks. “Another thing to be jealous of.”

“It's not just that, Matt,” Stefan continues. “You can't just pick and choose what you want to feel. When you turn it off, you lose everything. No remorse, no compassion—decency, morality, joy, love—all of that's gone. You're just empty. Hollow.”

“Why would anyone want that?” Matt questions him, at a loss.

“Because a lot of people can't resist the urge,” Stefan admits. “To hunt, to feed—to kill. When a person gives in, the aftermath—the guilt that comes with taking a life—well, for most people feeling nothing is preferable to feeling that.”

“That's what you're so worried about, isn't it?” Matt realizes. “That it's going to get to be too much for Elena. That she might want to turn it off?”

“I won't let that happen to her,” Stefan swears.

“You really love her, don't you?” Matt asks him.

“More than anything.”

Matt stands there a moment, taking in everything he's just been told.

“Look—I can't even begin to wrap my head around most of this,” he begins. “But—I do know Elena. I know how she was when you were gone, and—well, I can't help but be a little jealous. But you—you're something special to her. Whatever she's going through right now—however Damon may have gotten under her skin—something tells me you've got nothing to worry about.”

“My brother can be—very persuasive,” Stefan admits.

“Well, I don't think that matters,” he tells Stefan. “This isn't easy for me to admit, but—you're it. For Elena, you're it—you're the one for her. And I'm pretty sure that goes both ways.”

Stefan opens his mouth to answer, but can't find the words.

“Am I wrong?”

Stefan shakes his head.

“No,” he laughs. “No—you're most definitely not wrong.”

“So don't worry about it so much,” Matt encouraged him. “You've got enough to worry about with originals and councils and magic to add this kind of drama to it. Leave that stuff to us 'normal' folks.”

Matt turns towards the front door.

“Hey, Matt?” Stefan calls out to him.

“Yeah?”

“Thank you,” Stefan tells him. “I just—I really needed to hear that.”

With that, Stefan gets in his car and drives away.

*****

Elena sits at the top of a hill, leaning her back against a tree. She knew she had overreacted to Bonnie's words—they were directed at Stefan, not at her.

It didn't make them any more true, though.

“It's kind of nice to get away from town sometimes, isn't it?” Caroline told her, as she approaches. “You know--the super-hearing!All the background noise gets on your nerves. It's not as bad out here.”

“She hates me...” Elena muttered.

Elena sits down next to her.

“Bonnie does not hate you, all right?” Caroline corrected her. “She's just had a lot of bad experiences...”

“Because of me,” Elena added. “You said it yourself, Caroline. Even when I was human, she lost so much just by being friends with me. It's only going to get worse now.”

Caroline takes her hands.

“Look, Elena--” Caroline tells her. “A year ago, Bonnie didn't even want to be in the same room as me. She didn't exactly have the best reaction to her friend being turned into a vampire. But you—you didn't treat me any differently. Even after I spied on you.”

“That wasn't your fault,” Elena recalled. “That was Katherine. You were right to be afraid of her.”

“But still, anyone else would have taken that as a sign to keep their distance,” Caroline pointed out. “Not you, though. I was just 'Caroline' to you. Nothing changed—well, ok, you were a little bit more honest with me about some things. That I liked.”

Elena manages to smile.

“But I still felt alone,” she confessed. “Yeah, you understood, and Bonnie got over it—but I couldn't really talk to anyone about it. There was Stefan, but he's been a vampire for so long that I don't think he really remembers how different things are. The adjustment you have to go through. How different everything feels than what you're used to...you feel uncomfortable in your own skin.”

Elena nods in agreement.

“I guess I'm kind of selfish,” Caroline admits. “Because I know you didn't want this, and you're still mourning your humanity and everything, but—all I can think of is that I never have to lose my friend to old age. That we can be literal BFFs forever and ever—does that make me a horrible person?”

Elena shakes her head.

“No—not, it doesn't,” Elena assures her, sniffling slightly—her eyes full of emotion. “I, uh—I didn't think of it that way. That actually...it makes me feel better. Thank you.”

Caroline smiles.

“Friends forever?”

Elena nods.

“Yeah.”

Caroline hugs her enthusiastically.

“Ok—let's see your game face!” she encourages Elena.

“My what?” Elena asks her, confused.

“You know—the scary, veiny, fangy look!” Caroline repeats. “I know you can do it!”

“I'm, uh—not sure...”

“Here, watch me!” Caroline tells her.

A split-second later, Caroline's face transforms. She springs forward, fangs barred—curling her fingers into claws.

“Rawr!” she exclaims, causing Elena to jump back against the tree. “Come on—you try it!”

“I can't...”

“Sure you can!” Caroline laughs.

“I, uh—it only happens when I'm thirsty,” Elena admits. “Or angry. I'm—I'm not really comfortable with it.”

“The sooner you get used to it, the more natural it starts to feel,” Caroline tries to explain. “If you can learn to change on cue, it gets easier to hold back. You learn what to look for.”

That got Elena's attention.

“How?”

“Well, you just take all those 'hard' emotions you have buried,” Caroline explained, rubbing her hands together in a circular pattern. “Any anger, passion, frustration, pride—and you let it build up. Then, when you feel like you're about to explode, you just release it—BAM!”

Elena closes her eyes, trying to concentrate. She thinks back to what triggered her transformation in the gym the other day—her anger at Rebekah, and her desire to protect herself. Channelling those feelings, she did her best to follow Caroline's instructions.

Then, suddenly, it happened—she felt it. The power! Pushing it to the forefront, Elena let the unnatural energy flow through her veins—changing her.

She sprung forward, fangs bared. Unlike Elena, though, Caroline didn't seem frightened. She looked more proud than anything.

Caroline hissed at Elena. Elena hissed back.

“That's more like it!” Caroline giggled. “You are one fierce baby-vamp, Elena!”

Despite herself, Elena smiles as well. She couldn't help herself.

It felt—good.

*****

“Oh, that was just brilliant!” 'Tyler' mocked Bonnie as she left the Mystic Grill. “You really did a number on doppelganger's self-esteem back there. As if the poor girl doesn't hate herself enough as it is, you have to go rub it in.”

“What do you want, Klaus?” Bonnie spat.

“I want Tyler out of my head!” he told her. “I can't so much as roll my eyes without Mr. Lockwood getting judgemental. It is incredibly irritating.”

“He's not in your head,” Bonnie corrected him. “You're in his.”

“I've taken over other people's bodies before, if you recall!” he reminded her.

“That was different,” Bonnie explained. “When you possessed Alaric, you forced your spirit into his body. Tyler willingly accepted your life force. Count yourself lucky you're even in control of his body.”

“You call this control?”

“Did you really think I would just hand over my friend and give you your freedom without some way of keeping you in line?” Bonnie pointed out. “I don't trust you, Klaus.”

He smiles.

“You don't trust anybody,” he mocks her. “Certainly not your so-called 'friends'. I wonder what they would say if they knew how much you truly hated them?”

Bonnie flinched at the accusation.

“Maybe the two of us are more alike that you'd care to admit,” he taunts her.

“Get out of my sight!” Bonnie tells him, coldly.

With a final smirk, he walks away—but somehow, Bonnie can't escape his words.

*****

The front of the Gilbert house...

Two figures blur to a stop right in front of the front porch.

“Yes!” Caroline exclaims, throwing her fists into the air. “Eat my dust, Elena!”

“No fair!” Elena pants, trying not to laugh. “You've been doing this longer.”

“Your reaction time's still off,” Caroline taunts her. “You're still looking at things in slow motion. Try to adjust your eyes for the quicker movement, and you'll get a handle on it.”

Elena smiles at her.

“Thanks, Caroline,” she says. “I mean it, I—thank you. I really needed this.”

“Being a vampire isn't all bad,” Caroline reassures her. “Yeah, I miss being human sometimes. Ok—a lot of times. I hate that I won't ever be able to have kids, or stay in the same place for more than a few years, and that I have to keep so many secrets. But there is a silver lining, you know? High school is supposed to be the 'best years of our lives', and we're going to live them over and over and over again.”

“What about college?” Elena suggested.

“Maybe we can be roomies?” she replied. “Come on—think about it! Two smoking hot vampire chicks haunting the campus. We'll be legends in more ways than one.”

Elena shakes her head in amazement, as they walk inside. It was strange but, somehow, hearing Caroline talk about it made living forever sound like a dream come true.

It wasn't, though. Not for Elena. Not when she had to watch her baby brother grow older than her and, someday, die.

“So, fess up!” Caroline urges her. “You and Stefan.”

They sit down on the couch.

“It's so different,” Elena admits. “I just—when I was human, I loved him so much. You remember how I was when he was gone? How I kept searching, even when everyone else had given up?”

“And now?”

“All that seems pale in comparison,” Elena confessed. “It's like—I don't know—what I felt for Stefan when I was alive is nothing compared to how I feel for him now. I can't stop thinking about him. When I'm asleep, when I'm awake, when I should be thinking about other things...all I can think about is Stefan. How much I want to be with him. How much I want to kiss him, how much I want hold him. How much I—I WANT him.”

Caroline giggles, grinning from ear to ear. Elena covered her face, embarrassed.

“I don't know what's wrong with me...” she mumbles.

“It's perfectly normal,” Caroline explains to her. “Did Stefan explain how it works? What happens to your personal traits when you become a vampire?”

“Everything you feel becomes magnified,” Elena confirmed, nodding.

“Well, it's not just things like anger and joy,” Caroline explained, trying to keep a straight face. “It's everything, Elena. Everything! So whatever, uh—urges--you had before...those are magnified too.”

Elena's eyes go wide.

“Even that?!?” she asks, her voice rising an octave.

“Especially that!” Caroline laughs. “Take it from someone who's experienced all four sides of the human-to-vampire dating ratio. If you're looking for a silver lining to this whole vampire thing, it's that.”

Elena just sat there, in shock.

“Probably why Damon's drowning his sorrows,” Caroline added. “You should ask Stefan to stay over here from now on—it might soften the blow a little.”

“I need to tell you something,” Elena said, becoming serious. “About Damon.”

“Uh-oh!” Caroline groaned, sounding worried.

“The night my parents died—Damon was there,” Elena explained. “At the party.”

Caroline's mouth hung open.

“You don't think...?”

“No, no he didn't have anything to do with the accident,” Elena reassured her. “My dad was wearing his ring, meaning there was nothing supernatural about the crash. He was just lying on the road—probably waiting for some victim. He thought I was Katherine at first.”

“Why didn't you mention this before?” Caroline asked.

“I didn't remember,” Elena admits. “He compelled me—I didn't remember any of it until I started to transition.”

“Have you told Stefan?”

Again, Elena shakes her head.

“Why not?” Caroline demands.

“Because they've already fought so much because of me,” Elena confesses. “I don't want to add anything else. Damon said some things that night, and I--”

Elena hugs herself.

“Caroline...” she finishes. “I'm not so sure forgetting was the only thing he compelled me to do that night.”

*****

Damon enters the living room of the abandoned boarding house, finishing off another bottle of bourbon. However, as he approaches the couch, he notices an uninvited visitor.

“It's really a good thing you have a self-healing liver, you know?”

Damon scoffs, seeing Rebekah reclining on his couch.

“Sorry, Bekah!” he mocks. “I'm not nearly drunk enough.”

“Oh please!” she scoffs back. “If I wanted that from you right now, Damon, you'd be on your back already.”

“Somebody's conceited!” Damon responds, his eyes wild. “Give me one reason I shouldn't tear your throat out!”

“I come in peace,” Rebekah tells him, getting up and walking towards him. “Elijah wants a truce, and I'm getting a little tired of you lot judging me.”

“Should have thought of that before you killed Elena!” Damon accused her, eyes still wild.

“She killed me first, lest you forget!” Rebekah reminded him. “I'm willing to let that go now. In fact, I see no reason the two of us can't be friends. In fact—I might be able to help her.”

Damon raises an eyebrow.

“You don't believe me?” she asks, hurt.

“I don't!”

“How's she handling vampire life?” Rebekah questions him. “Hating herself, constant brooding—determined to leave all the poor defenceless humans alone? I wonder who's been putting these thoughts in her head? How would you like the opportunity to get both of them to see things your way?”

“You've got my attention!” Damon encourages her.

“I'll keep Stefan occupied,” she suggests, with a smile. “You show Elena how to be a real vampire!”

To Be Continued...

<< Part 6 Part 8 >>