Episode # 303:
A Matter of Trust

By: Peter

For over a century I’ve lived in secret…

Stefan looks out the window as the morning sun begins to rise.

He leaps off the rooftop, landing effortlessly on the ground.

Hiding in the shadows, alone in the world…

He stands just outside the schoolyard, watching a crowd from a distance.

*****

A car spins out of control, falling into the river. Stefan quickly dives in.

He pulls Elena out, lying her on the ground--a mixture of shock and awe on his face.

I shouldn't have come home. I know the risk…but I have to know her!

STEFAN: Damon.

Damon stands by the window, smirking.

DAMON: Hello brother.

*****

Elena gasps as she sees Stefan's face change in the mirror.

ELENA: What--are you?

I am a vampire—and this is my story!


Previously on the Vampire Diaries...

Tyler stands in front of the Lockwood estate, arguing with his mother...

CAROL: They’re dangerous. I want you to promise me you’ll stay away from them.

Tyler shakes his head.

TYLER: I can’t do that.

CAROL: This isn’t up for discussion.

Tyler lashes out—punching one of the statues mounted on a nearby pedestal. He shatters it with a single punch.

*****

At the social servies office…

WOMAN: A twin?

Katherine smiles.

V.O.(Katherine): If I’m going to stay in town, I’m not going to spend all my free time locked up in the boarding house. This way I can move about freely without having to risk running into Elena in public. I can be myself.

Outside, Alaric glares at her.

ALARIC: (coldly)Yeah, I’m sure Elena’s going to be thrilled at having to explain you.

Katherine laughs.

KATHERINE: Oh, I plan to have a lot of fun with that.

*****

The gym...

MATT: I don’t want to be involved in this stuff, Elena. You shouldn’t either. If you want to stay friends, I can’t let you keep doing this to yourself.

Elena sighs.

ELENA: Fine. I guess we’re not friends anymore.

She heads towards the door, leaving Matt with a shocked expression on his face.

*****

Damon looks deep into Meredith's eyes.

DAMON: You’re going to bring Bonnie home—right now, and you’re not going to ask me anymore questions.

Meredith stares for a moment—then snickers.

MEREDITH: Do people always do whatever you ask?

Damon blinks in confusion.

*****

Bonnie speaks to Emily's ghost in at the church.

BONNIE: Are you saying it was Vicki and Anna that brought him back, not the other way around?

EMILY: His return is conditional. If either of those vampires are ever destroyed again—Jeremy will die.

*****

Meredith watches a video on her computer of Stefan and Damon using their powers.

MEREDITH: Oh…my…god…

*****

Elena reaches over, touching the side of Stefan's face. As she does, Stefan’s face begins to change.

STEFAN: Elena…

Elena shushes him, ignoring the warning.

ELENA: I won’t stay away. We’re partners, Stefan.

They kiss, falling down on the bed.

ELENA: (whispering) I love you...

Elena’s eyes go wide and she gasps, as Stefan sinks his teeth into her neck.


A car speeds past the forest in the dead of night. Inside, a man and a woman watch the side of the road, searching for something.

The guy in the back seat looks over a map.

MAN # 2: The guy at the sports shop said it was supposed to be down this way. There should be a sign marking the trail.

The woman groans.

WOMAN: For a place called ‘Mystic Falls’, you would think it would be easier to find the actual falls. Remind me again why we didn’t just go to Niagara?

MAN # 1: As I recall, you were the one who suggested we do something ‘adventurous’. That you didn’t want to get ‘stuck in that overly-merchandised tourist trap for the next week’. I’m quoting here, you know?

MAN # 2: Which means this is the last time you get the pick the place.

She rolls her eyes.

WOMAN: We could wait until morning, you know?

MAN # 1: That’s what the sleeping bags are for.

She looks at the guy in the back, who grins. She then looks at the guy beside her.

WOMAN: How long did it take the two of you to plan this?

MAN # 1: Five minutes.

WOMAN: I’m impressed.

MAN # 2: We do have our moments.

The first guy snickers.

MAN # 1: What, no snarky comment about sleeping under the stars being cliché?

She smirks.

WOMAN: I don’t think we’ve done that since we were kids. It’ll be nice…

Just then, the driver’s cell phone rings. He sighs in frustration.

MAN # 1: You’re kidding me!

WOMAN: Is it too much to hope it’s your mom wanting an update?

He looks at the caller ID.

MAN # 1: It’s work. I can’t believe this!

The guy in the back chuckles.

MAN # 2: You would think the term ‘vacation’ would be enough for them to leave you alone for a bit? You, my friend, are a serious workaholic!

WOMAN: Can I see that?

The driver hands her his phone. She rolls down the window and tosses it out.

He stops the car, and stares at her in disbelief.

WOMAN: What?

MAN # 1: You just tossed my cell out of a moving vehicle.

WOMAN: And?

He grins at her. She grins back.

The guy in back rolls his eyes.

MAN # 2: Hey, I think this is the place.

The three of them exit the car and examine the sign at the side of the road. They retrieve their bags from the car and continue on foot.

MAN # 2: All I’m saying is that these Mystic Falls Falls had better be worth it.

MAN # 1: Where’s your sense of adventure?

MAN # 2: Usually in a night club or some other urban locate, dude!

He chuckles.

WOMAN: Well, I’ve had enough of the big city—bring on the rural!

MAN # 1: Sorry, pal—you’re outvoted. Don’t worry…this time next week we’ll be at Universal Studios.

She rolls her eyes.

WOMAN: Why am I not surprised?

MAN # 2: Yeah, as long as the wild animals don’t eat us first.

The other two give him looks.

MAN # 2: What, am I the only one who did any research on this one-horse town? There’s a history of animal attacks in these woods.

WOMAN: What do you mean?

He grins.

MAN # 2: Oh, you know—the usual. Ferocious beast preys upon unsuspecting young woman who venture out after dark? You know, some people don’t even think the killer was even an animal.

She gives him a dirty look.

WOMAN: That’s not funny.

MAN # 2: What’s the matter—scared?

WOMAN: No.

MAN # 2: I heard that, just last month, cars driving by could hear screams coming from around here…

MAN # 1: All right—knock it off!

He puts his hand on the woman’s shoulder.

MAN # 1: I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.

MAN # 2: Yeah, I’m sure the two of us are much more appetizing than you are.

They walk through the woods. As they move farther, they can hear the sound of rushing water.

WOMAN: Hear that? It’s just ahead!

One of the guys pause, as something blurs past.

MAN # 2: Did you guys hear something?

WOMAN: Yeah—the falls. You coming?

The other two walk ahead, as he lingers behind a moment.

WOMAN: Hey, do you think there’s any truth to those stories?

The first guy scoffs.

MAN # 1: It’s just an urban legend. You don’t really believe those stories, do you

WOMAN: I don’t know…

MAN # 1: Come on, help me out here…

They turn around to find their friend has vanished.

WOMAN: He was right here a second ago!

MAN # 1: Maybe he forgot something in the car? Come on…

The two of them start running back. After a few feet, the woman trips.

WOMAN: Hey, hold up a second…

However, when she climbs to her feet, he’s vanished as well. She looks around the woods, nervously…realizing she’s alone.

WOMAN: Seriously, this isn’t funny!

Carefully, she walks through the trees, looking for any sign of the two men.

WOMAN: I swear, if this is some kind of sick payback for…

Suddenly, something pushes her. She falls down a short hill.

Then…she screams.

There, lying on the ground, are her two friends—their necks bleeding.

WOMAN: Oh god…oh my god…please be ok! Please…

One of them opens his eyes, looking at her.

MAN # 1: (weakly) Run…

Before she can react, a shadowy figure grabs her from behind—sinking its fangs into her neck.

The Gilbert house…

Elena’s eyes open as sunlight pours into her room. She moves slowly, almost sluggish, as she climbs out of bed.

She walks over to the mirror, examining her reflection.

Elena moves her hair to the side.

ELENA: (whispering) Oh my god…

Carefully, she traces her fingers over the two puncture holes on her neck.

STEFAN: Elena…

She turns to see Stefan standing beside her, a devastated look on his face.

STEFAN: I am so sorry.

Elena reaches for him, but Stefan backs away.

ELENA: Stefan, it’s not your fault.

STEFAN: I almost killed you!

ELENA: But you didn’t.

STEFAN: But I COULD have! Damon was right—I’m too dangerous right now.

Elena takes a step towards him, but stumbles. She starts to feel light-headed.

STEFAN: Elena?

She looses her balance and collapses.

STEFAN: ELENA!

Moving at vampire speed, Stefan catches Elena before she hits the floor. Stefan feels her pulse, looking frantic.

STEFAN: (whispering)What have I done?

ELENA: (weakly) Stefan…

STEFAN: I took too much blood. I’m going to give you some of mine, ok?

Elena nods, understanding.

Quickly, Stefan bites his wrist, drawing out some blood. He places the wound over Elena’s mouth, letting her drink. As she does, the marks on her neck start to recede—not vanishing completely, but no longer looking as severe.

STEFAN: I’m sorry.

ELENA: Don’t blame yourself…

Stefan bushes her hair back, a sad look in his eyes.

ELENA: It’s not like this is the first time you’ve drank my blood.

STEFAN: Never like this.

Elena takes his hand, but Stefan moves it away.

STEFAN: This won’t happen again. I swear to you that it won’t!

Stefan kisses her forehead, and then vanishes.

ELENA: Stefan, wait…

It’s too late—he’s already gone. Elena sighs.

V.O.(Elena): Dear diary—there are a lot of complications that come with dating a vampire. There’s the aging thing, the superpowers thing, the ex-girlfriend thing—so why is it the one complication I didn’t prepare myself for was the one that should have been the most obvious?

She goes to the closet, and starts picking out clothes—including a scarf.

V.O.(Elena): Maybe I was just being naive, thinking that I could control the situation? Stefan probably thinks I was trying to spare his feelings, but the truth is much more terrifying.

She examines her neck again, a shiver going up her spine.

V.O.(Elena): The truth—that a part of me is drawn to this part of him.

*****

Meanwhile, in another part of town…

Meredith Sulez looks into the camera lens, as her image appears on the TV.

MEREDITH: Entry one—I’m not sure exactly what I’ve stumbled onto, but whatever it is, it’s big! I can’t tell anyone, because I’m sure my parents would blame Gramps and say I was buying into his stories so much. But—what if they’re not stories?

She moves her head so that the camera can see the computer screen.

MEREDITH: After all, the town’s called ‘Mystic Falls’, right—what if that’s not just a name, but a warning? With all the weird stuff that’s been happening this past year, I can’t help but wonder. Then, last night, I found this…

She plays the clip, showing Stefan throwing the football players and then moving a super speed.

MEREDITH: I dropped my camera when Bonnie knocked me over, and it must have recorded this. The guy in the video is Stefan Salvatore—a member of one of the founding families, who just moved back into town last year. Now, I’ve watched this tape again and again—and there’s no way he should be able to do this! Even if, somehow, he was strong enough to throw two beefy guys that far, what about the way he was moving? He was a blur on the screen!

She continues the clip.

MEREDITH: And that jump! From what I can see, we’re talking super-strength, super-speed, and super-agility…and who knows what other kind of powers. His brother, Damon, seems to have them too, as the two of them were fighting over something.

The clip cuts out, replaced with static.

MEREDITH: So, the question remains—how do they have these powers? Were they born with them, get them by accident—are they even human? Is it just the Salvatore brothers, or does this town have a dozen super-powered people running around without the rest of us realizing it? Were they involved with that thing on Founder’s Day, or the Grill setting fire? Does Elena know, or is she in the dark too?

She turns off the clip.

MEREDITH: Damon Salvatore works with the police, so I can’t go to them—for all I know, they might be in on it too. If I’m going to tell anyone, I need to know more. So, here I go—wish me luck.

The camera is turned off.

*****

The hospital…

LIZ: Thanks for coming.

Damon shrugs.

DAMON: Don’t mention it.

LIZ: Was it a vampire?

Damon raises an eyebrow.

DAMON: Three victims suffering from severe blood loss, with holes punched in their necks—seems kind of obvious, doesn’t it?

LIZ: But they’re all still alive. An accident?

Damon scoffs.

DAMON: Doubt it. Whoever did this either didn’t want to kill them or was sending us a message.

LIZ: Did you get anything from the victims?

DAMON: Are you kidding? They would not—stop—talking! Whoever it was wanted to play with them—pick them off one by one, and left them where the girl could find them before she was attacked herself. I seriously think they would have offered to go back into the woods with me if I hadn’t compelled them. Which reminds me…

He turns to her.

DAMON: I would really appreciate it if you let me know who you’ve vervained ahead of time. It makes me look kind of stupid if I try compelling someone who can’t be compelled.

LIZ: What are you talking about?

DAMON: The girl from last night, remember? Meredith something-or-other—I tried to compel her to leave, and it didn’t work, meaning you must have given her vervain after she left the hospital.

LIZ: You don’t give us nearly enough to spread around to the civilian population, Damon. I can’t even spare it for my deputies.

Damon looks at her, confused.

DAMON: Then explain why I can’t compel her.

She shrugs.

LIZ: Maybe you’re losing your touch?

Damon smiles in amusement.

LIZ: I’ll look into it. You worry about finding this vampire.

DAMON: I wouldn’t worry that much. Odds are whoever it is will find me soon enough.

Damon rounds the corner, where a hand reaches out and pulls him into an empty room.

Damon grabs his assailant by the neck, ready to attack.

ANNA: Hold it—hold it, Damon!

He sighs, letting her go.

DAMON: You picked a lousy time for a blood run, Anna.

ANNA: I came here looking for you. I didn’t want your vampire hunter friend seeing me—somehow, I doubt I’m on her ‘don’t stake’ list.

Damon’s eyes narrow.

DAMON: Considering the three blood-deprived chatterboxes in the other room, are you surprised. Or do you think that, since they’re still breathing everything’s ok?

Anna looks at him, confused.

DAMON: Oh, come on—vampire attack the very same day you waltz back into town. I’m just supposed to buy it wasn’t you?

ANNA: It wasn’t.

Damon looks at her for a moment, finally accepting her answer.

DAMON: Well, you obviously didn’t ambush me just to catch up.

She nods.

ANNA: I’ll cut right to the chase,

DAMON: I want to join your coven.

Damon raises an eyebrow.

DAMON: Excuse me?

ANNA: My entire clan was wiped out by John Gilbert. I’ve never been much for going solo, and the last time I tried to make my own vampires it sort of backfired. You’ve seemed to have established a cozy little set-up here, and even the vampire hunters are on your side. I wouldn’t mind having that kind of stability for a change.

Damon chuckles.

DAMON: As—flattering as that might be, Anna, there’s just one problem.

He takes a step towards her.

DAMON: We’re not a ‘coven’, ok? There is me, and there is Stefan—that’s it!

ANNA: Don’t forget the two vampires you created. Then there’s your witch. Oh, I almost forgot your pet werewolf. You’ve even taken a few humans under your wing. Face it, Damon—you’re a coven!

Damon’s jaw clenches. His eyes dart around the room, looking for an excuse.

ANNA: And I want in! I helped you during the whole Klaus thing, didn’t I?

DAMON: (grumbling) Yes…

Suddenly, Damon’s face lights up.

DAMON: Well, if you’re that determined—you’re going to have to take it up with our ‘leader’, right?

ANNA: So it’s Stefan, not you? I’m surprised, Damon—I didn’t think you’d be humble enough to let your little brother call the shots.

Damon laughs.

DAMON: Oh, it’s not Stefan. See, if you recall, right after we took out Klaus, Stefan did elect a leader for us. Even the oldest vampire on the planet acknowledged it.

Her eyes went wide.

ANNA: Are you joking? She’s not even a vampire!

DAMON: We’re an equal-opportunity clan. You want our protection, Anna—you’re gonna have to take it up with Elena.

Damon leaves the room, as Anna stands there—completely dumbfounded.

*****

The Lockwood residence….

Tyler Lockwood stands out back, playing basketball solo. He tosses it effortlessly into the net.

TYLER: Too easy—everything’s too easy.

He lets it roll away, until someone at the gate picks it up.

JEREMY: Need some competition?

Tyler turns around.

TYLER: What are you doing here?

Jeremy shrugs.

JEREMY: Thought you’d like some company. Uh—Caroline might have left me a text that said this was a no-supernatural zone at the moment.

Tyler scoffs.

TYLER: After last night, I figured I would be the last person you’d want to hang with?

JEREMY: I know what you were trying to do.

Tyler raises an eyebrow.

JEREMY: I don’t think you went about it the right way, but it was cool of you to try.

Jeremy puts down his bag and starts to dribble the ball.

JEREMY: Ok, best three out of five, and no powers—

Tyler smirks.

TYLER: Like I’d need powers!

Jeremy laughs, and darts to the side—trying to get the ball around him.

*****

The courthouse…

Liz walks towards her office, speaking to one of the deputies.

LIZ: I’m going to check out the location myself as soon as Damon gets back—see if whoever it is left a trail.

DEPUTY: Can’t we use the blonde instead? Her I like.

Liz gives him a dirty look.

LIZ: You do realize that’s my daughter, right?

He freezes.

DEPUTY: Sorry, sheriff—I didn’t. How long has she…?

LIZ: A few months. Damon, on the other hand, has been a vampire since the civil war. Which means he has a lot more experience than a high school girl who still looks her age.

The deputy nods.

DEPUTY: Right, uh…sorry. Anything else?

LIZ: I want you to dig up anything we have on that girl who survived the attack last week. Meredith Sulez—her medical history, if she’s ever had contact with the founding families…anything suspicious.

He takes off, as Liz walks into her office. She closes the door and sighs.

STEFAN: Sheriff Forbes.

Liz gasps, seeing Stefan standing right behind where the door had been a moment before. His eyes are crazed—almost desperate.

LIZ: How did you get in here?

He puts up his hands.

STEFAN: The window. It’s ok—I’m not going to hurt you. I’m in control of myself at the moment.

She looks at him, nervously.

STEFAN: I’m not sure how long that’s going to last. That’s why I need you to do something for me?

LIZ: What?

STEFAN: Lock me up.

*****

Meanwhile, at the Mystic Grill…

CAROLINE: So, you gonna tell me what that was about last night?

Bonnie shakes her head.

CAROLINE: You completely spaced out, saying everything was ‘our fault’…not yours, ours Bonnie! So I’d like to know what it is I’m supposed to fix.

BONNIE: Don’t worry about it.

CAROLINE: I want to.

Bonnie sighs.

BONNIE: I—talked to Emily.

CAROLINE: Emily—isn’t she the dead relative that made you go all Linda Blair during our séance?

Bonnie nods.

BONNIE: She told me that—that when we brought Jeremy and the girls back, we disrupted some kind of life and death balance. They want me to correct that balance somehow.

CAROLINE: But what’s that got to do with me?

Bonnie bites her lip.

BONNIE: Your blood. It was in Jeremy’s body when the spell was cast, so that’s what was used to bring back the girls.

Caroline blinks.

CAROLINE: From clear across town? Wow—my veins have got some serious range!

Bonnie laughs.

CAROLINE: We make a good team, if I do say so myself.

BONNIE: I’m just sorry I wasn’t able to help you and Elena out last night. Was anybody hurt?

CAROLINE: No, Vicki vervained Stefan before he could do anything major.

Bonnie raises an eyebrow.

BONNIE: That girl is making it real hard to dislike her.

CAROLINE: Then don’t! I don’t get what the hold up is for the sunblock jewellery. I think she’s proven herself, don’t you?

Bonnie hesitates.

CAROLINE: You didn’t give me nearly as much of a hassle, and you hated vampires back then.

BONNIE: You were never a drug addict, Caroline.

Caroline gives her ‘the look’.

BONNIE: Ok, ok—maybe I’m letting my personal feelings interfere with my better judgement. I’m just…

CAROLINE: Jealous?

Bonnie gasps, covering her head with her hands..

BONNIE: I am. Oh god—I promised myself I would never be the jealous girlfriend, and here I am…I need help.

Caroline giggles.

CAROLINE: Well, I for one think it’s completely unfounded. Jeremy is like—super-loyal.

BONNIE: You know, they never technically broke up? Vicki died before she had the chance to break up with him! Does this count as two-timing?

CAROLINE: Three-timing, when you consider he never broke up with Anna, either.

Bonnie’s eyes went wide.

CAROLINE: I’m not helping, am I?

Just then, Elena walks into the grill and sits down next to them.

ELENA: Have either of you seen Stefan?

The two of them stare at her in surprise.

BONNIE: He’s out? Already?

ELENA: Yeah. He, uh—left my place in a hurry. He’s really upset with himself right now—do you have any idea where he might be?

Caroline eyes Elena suspiciously—specifically her scarf.

BONNIE: Search me. I’ve got my own issues.

CAROLINE: Jealousy issues.

Bonnie gives her a warning look.

BONNIE: Caroline…

ELENA: Jealous of whom?

BONNIE: Not important. I’m over it—I just got over it right this moment. As of now, I’ve had the shortest stint as a stereotypical jealous girlfriend in history.

Elena nods.

ELENA: Good for you.

Elena notices Caroline staring at her.

ELENA: Uh, Caroline—is something wrong?

CAROLINE: Elena, is there something wrong with your neck?

Elena freezes.

ELENA: No. Why—why do you ask?

CAROLINE: Because you’re wearing a scarf in June.

A worried look comes over Bonnie’s face.

ELENA: It’s kind of personal, Caroline.

A serious look comes over Caroline’s face.

CAROLINE: So was mine.

Elena’s face falls.

CAROLINE: Show me. Please.

Elena sighs in defeat.

ELENA: Just don’t make a big deal out of it, ok?

She lowers the scarf, letting Bonnie and Caroline see the mark on her neck. Bonnie gasps.

BONNIE: My god—please tell me Stefan didn’t do that!

ELENA: It was an accident, Bonnie.

BONNIE: An accident? Elena, he bit you!

CAROLINE: This actually doesn’t look that bad.

Elena bites her lip.

ELENA: Stefan, he—he gave me some of his blood to heal it.

Bonnie shakes her head in disbelief.

BONNIE: I can’t believe you would take a risk like that! After how upset you were the last time?

ELENA: People aren’t lined up to sacrifice me this time. I’ll be fine.

BONNIE: I’m not sure I’m comfortable with the idea of Stefan running around right now. If he’s unstable enough to attack you…

ELENA: If you had seen Stefan’s face this morning, you would no there’s no danger. He looked horrible—devastated. Almost like he hated himself.

BONNIE: Did he say anything?

ELENA: Just that he wouldn’t let it happen again.

Caroline replaces the scarf.

CAROLINE: Maybe you could retrace your steps? Find out exactly what triggered his vamp-out?

Elena took a deep breath.

ELENA: We were talking—I was trying to get Stefan to let me help him. Stefan tried to warn me that he wasn’t in complete control, but I wouldn’t listen. I kept pushing him, telling him not to worry. One thing led to another, and…

Bonnie looks at her suspiciously.

BONNIE: You almost sound like you’re describing…

Elena nods, causing Bonnie’s eyes to go even wider.

BONNIE: Did he bite you while you two were…?

She nods again.

Caroline snickers.

CAROLINE: Well, there’s our answer!

Elena and Bonnie turn to Caroline.

BONNIE: What do you mean?

CAROLINE: Well—you know that feeling you get when you’re attracted to someone? When you get—worked up? Your heart starts pounding, your pulse starts racing—the blood starts really flowing? To a vampire, that—uh, when someone’s like that, it makes them harder to resist.

Elena and Bonnie stare at her.

CAROLINE: There’s a reason I move to the other side of the hall whenever someone starts making out, you know?

Elena’s face goes blank as she realizes the implications of what Caroline is saying.

ELENA: I am never having sex again…

BONNIE: Hey, let’s not start talking crazy! I’m sure Stefan’s self-control problem is temporary. You’ll just have to wait it out.

Caroline scoffs.

CAROLINE: That’s easy for you to say, Bonnie. You’ve never slept with a vampire.

Bonnie rolls her eyes.

BONNIE: I’m sure there’s not much of a difference.

CAROLINE: Take it from experience—they kinda leave normal people in the dust.

A horrified look comes over Bonnie’s face. Immediately, Caroline tries to back peddle.

CAROLINE: Boy vampires, I mean. I’m sure it’s just the men. Or, you know—it could just be a Salvatore thing?

Bonnie looks completely distraught by the revelation. Elena notices this, and tries to pull the conversation away from that topic.

ELENA: You know, you’re right. It’s probably just temporary—and if it helps Stefan get better, I’m willing to put that aspect of our relationship on hold.

Bonnie looks at her, concerned.

BONNIE: You’re going to hate me for saying this Elena—but maybe the best thing to do right now is keep your distance altogether?

Elena’s eyes narrow.

ELENA: Excuse me?

BONNIE: Look—Stefan’s my friend too. I’m the last person to think badly of him. But from what I’ve been told happened yesterday, it sounds like you’re a big part of why he’s struggling. He attacked those boys because he thought they were going to hurt you.

ELENA: Stefan needs me right now!

BONNIE: What he needs is to get control of himself! Look at it from his point of view, Elena—if you had hurt him, even by accident, wouldn’t you want to do everything you could to stop it from happening again?

Elena’s face falls.

BONNIE: I’m not suggesting you break up or anything. Just—take a step back. Let him come to you when he’s ready.

Elena sighs.

ELENA: What am I supposed to do in the meantime? I’m going to be worried about him.

BONNIE: I seem to recall that you did have a life before Stefan Salvatore. Really, how long has it been since we’ve had a vampire-free weekend?

Elena raises an eyebrow.

ELENA: You know, Caroline’s technically a vampire too.

Caroline smiles.

CAROLINE: Ah, but fortunately for you, I do not swing that way.

BONNIE: So it’s settled—the next two days is all about not making you worry about Stefan. Deal?

Elena nods.

ELENA: I won’t worry about Stefan.

At that moment, Caroline’s phone rings. She checks the text, and her eyes go wide.

CAROLINE: Uh, can we put that on hold for an hour or so?

ELENA: Why?

CAROLINE: Because that person you’re not supposed to worry about—according to my mom, he’s kind of locked himself in the hoosegow!

*****

The Lockwood residence…

Carol sighs, checking her watch. She turns to see Tyler come in from the back yard.

CAROL: Tyler, would you mind giving me a hand with…

She pauses, upon seeing Jeremy with him. She gives Tyler a disapproving look.

CAROL: I thought we discussed this.

TYLER: No—you said you didn’t want any of my ‘vampire friends’ around here. Gilbert’s human.

JEREMY: Sorry, Mrs. Lockwood. I can go if…

She shakes her head.

CAROL: I suppose I can make an exception. You wouldn’t happen to know what’s keeping Sheriff Forbes, would you?

Jeremy shrugs.

JEREMY: Sorry. They don’t really keep me in the loop. Elena kind of wants me to stay out of it most of the time.

Carol gives Tyler a look, causing him to sigh in frustration.

CAROL: Since you’re here, would you mind helping me load some boxes for the historical society?

Jeremy shrugs.

JEREMY: Sure, why not?

Carol exits out the front door. While the two boys walks in that direction, Tyler gives Jeremy an annoyed look.

JEREMY: What?

TYLER: I think mom’s trying to make you my official babysitter.

Jeremy laughs.

JEREMY: Don’t take it personally, Tyler. She’s just worried about you.

TYLER: I can deal with her being concerned, but does she have to exile Caroline from the house?

Jeremy gives him an amused smirk.

JEREMY: Just Caroline?

TYLER: And, uh—everybody else, too?

His smirk turns into a grin.

JEREMY: Are you crushing on Caroline?

Tyler gives him a warning look.

JEREMY: No way!

TYLER: If you breathe a word to anybody, Gilbert, I’ll kill you! That ring of yours lets me do that without any consequences. Repeatedly!

Jeremy laughs, patting him on the shoulder.

JEREMY: You want to talk about it?

Tyler raises an eyebrow.

JEREMY: You want to vent, I’m all ears. It won’t leave this house.

TYLER: You serious?

Jeremy nods. Tyler smiles, looking almost relieved.

*****

Mystic Falls High School…

ELENA: We should have gone with Caroline.

BONNIE: I think the fact that Stefan just surrendered himself to the police proves that would not have been a good idea. Seeing you right now would probably make him feel worse, Elena.

Elena’s face falls.

ELENA: You don’t think…I mean, what if Sheriff Forbes hurts him?

BONNIE: I was kind of out of it at the time, but she went to bat for Stefan last night from what I heard. Everything’s going to be fine.

As they walks down the hall, they see Damon exit the guidance counsellor’s office.

ELENA: Damon?

Bonnie groans.

BONNIE: Please don’t tell me you’re taking your Stefan imitation this far. I would think you would prefer college.

Damon smirks.

DAMON: Doesn’t stop me from joining the faculty. I hear there’s some openings.

Bonnie’s eyes go wild with panic, causing Damon to chuckle.

DAMON: Relax, Bonnie—I’m joking. Learn to take a joke!

ELENA: What are you doing here, Damon?

DAMON: Stefan asked me to clean up his mess for him—for a change. He did a real number on the guidance counsellor.

Elena cringes.

ELENA: Tell me you didn’t…I mean, what Stefan did wasn’t really that bad.

DAMON: Maybe—but I’m kinda going legit these days. No bending the school rules, which means…

The guidance counsellor pokes her head out of her office, calling to Elena.

COUNSELLOR: Ms. Gilbert? Could I see you in my office for a moment? I’d like to go over your grades if you have the time. I’m afraid I made a serious miscalculation.

Elena groans, giving Damon a dirty look.

ELENA: (bitterly) Thanks a bunch, Damon!

He does a mock salute.

DAMON: All in the pursuit of truth a justice, ma’am.

Elena goes into the office, awaiting her fate.

BONNIE: That’s a first. Playing hard to get now?

DAMON: It’s just summer school. It’ll do her some good—let her recapture all that time she missed while she was fearing for her life. Is Stefan around? Just wait until he hears what she has in store for him!

BONNIE: Then you don’t know?

Damon pauses.

BONNIE: Stefan just asked Sheriff Forbes to lock him up. He’s at the police station right now.

His eyes go wide.

DAMON: Say what?!? I swear, there is no middle ground with that man! He’s either an impulsive loon or and guilt-ridden mess! It’s not like he killed those guys, right?

BONNIE: Damon—he fed on Elena last night!

Damon’s mouth hangs open.

BONNIE: When they were…together.

DAMON: Now, when you say ‘together’…

BONNIE: Do you seriously want to know the answer to that question?

Damon sighs, shaking his head.

DAMON: Damn. Still, she’s ok, right? I don’t get what the big deal is.

Bonnie stares at him in disbelief.

BONNIE: I knew this ‘Good Samaritan Damon’ couldn’t last.

DAMON: Would you stop being judgemental for five minutes? Elena’s not mad at Stefan, is she?

BONNIE: No, but…

DAMON: Then why are you? For all you know, she might have enjoyed it.

BONNIE: How could someone possibly enjoy being bitten and having their blood drank like that?

Damon smirks.

DAMON: Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.

Bonnie gives him a cold glare.

BONNIE: I have, remember?

Damon flinches.

DAMON: Different circumstances.

BONNIE: A bite’s a bite.

DAMON: When I attacked you, it was done out of anger. It’s different in this case.

Bonnie sighs.

BONNIE: You vampires can’t possibly be that much better at—that—than humans, right?

Damon smirks.

DAMON: Well, I don’t like to brag…

BONNIE: Since when?

He glares at her, causing Bonnie to laugh.

DAMON: Super strength, super speed, super senses—we’re pretty much better at everything.

A worried look comes across Bonnie’s face.

DAMON: I’m going to take a wild stab and say this is about Jeremy, right?

Bonnie walks up to him.

BONNIE: Not here…outside.

Damon nods, and follows her down the hallway.

*****

The Mystic Falls police station…

Stefan sits inside the prison cell, with two of the deputies eyeing his suspiciously.

DEPUTY # 1: Is this safe? Couldn’t that thing break through the bars any time he wants?

DEPUTY # 2: I still say we should shoot him full of vervain, just as a precaution.

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: Maybe you should.

They both freeze. Stefan points to his ear.

STEFAN: Super-hearing. Whispering doesn’t really do much good around me.

Liz walks in the room, looking annoyed.

LIZ: Mr. Salvatore is here voluntarily—he’s free to leave whenever he wants…

STEFAN: Yeah, that’s not gonna happen.

Liz ignores his comment.

LIZ: I’m sure your time could be much better spent elsewhere.

One of them nods, and they exit the room.

STEFAN: You didn’t have to do that.

LIZ: The vampire problem is only a small part of my responsibilities, Stefan. Could you please explain what all this is about?

STEFAN: I told you before…I’m barely in control of myself at the moment. Damon’s not willing to lock me up, so I’m hoping you’ll be more reasonable.

She sighs.

LIZ: If this is about what happened at the bonfire, those boys technically attacked you first.

STEFAN: It’s not.

LIZ: Then what…I can’t just lock you up unless you give me a reason!

In an instant, Stefan was at the door to the cell—gripping the bars.

STEFAN: I FED on Elena! Is that enough of a reason for you?!?

Liz stepped back in surprise.

STEFAN: I hurt Elena, something I promised myself I would never do. That can’t happen again! That’s why I need to stay in here, at least until her blood’s out of my system.

Just then, Caroline enters the room.

CAROLINE: I’m not too late for visiting hours, am I?

Liz and Stefan turn to her.

CAROLINE: Sorry, but I didn’t have time to bake a file into a cake for you, Stefan. Would you have preferred chocolate, strawberry, or Elena-flavored?

A pained look appears on Stefan’s face.

STEFAN: Caroline, I…

Caroline points at him.

CAROLINE: Zip-it, buster! Do you have any idea how worried Elena is about you right now? Bonnie had to basically strong-arm her into not forming a search party, only to have you pop up in jail of all places? What did you do, hold up a bank?

Stefan raises an eyebrow.

STEFAN: Hold up a bank?

CAROLINE: Oh god, you did, didn’t you?

She turns to Liz for clarification.

LIZ: Actually, he just appeared in my office and demand I lock him up.

Caroline shakes her head.

CAROLINE: Well, come on—we need to get some bunny into you pronto.

STEFAN: Caroline, I can’t—I’m not in control right now.

Caroline scoffs.

CAROLINE: You’re the one who taught me to control myself, Stefan! You’re supposed to be good at this, remember?

He sighs.

STEFAN: I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but you don’t understand.

CAROLINE: I understand that you slipped, and you’re beating yourself up about it. Stefan, you’re more upset about what happened than Elena is—how wrong does that sound? She’s ok now—physically—but she’ll be a whole lot better once you are.

Stefan opens his mouth to argue, but then reconsiders.

CAROLINE: So get better. Because—uh—I really don’t want to have to fight you, but I will if I have to!

Stefan nods, understanding.

STEFAN: Elena’s lucky to have a friend like you.

CAROLINE: I’m your friend too, remember? That’s how I know you’ll get past this.

Caroline and Liz walks into the hall.

LIZ: Sorry for calling you like this. I couldn’t get through to Damon, and I wasn’t sure how to handle him.

CAROLINE: No problem, mom. Coming down here myself was the only way to make sure Elena didn’t.

LIZ: She’s ok then? Did Stefan really…?

Caroline nods.

CAROLINE: The way she tells it, Stefan tried to warn her he wasn’t 100% but she risked it anyway.

LIZ: What exactly were they doing that made him lose control?

Caroline bites her lip.

LIZ: What?

CAROLINE: I really shouldn’t say anything…

LIZ: Caroline…

CAROLINE: Ok, ok—they were, uh, oh god—I can’t believe I’m talking about this with you of all people!

Liz still looks confused.

CAROLINE: What do most teenagers to at night, when they’re alone, without parental supervision? Do I have to spell it out?

Liz’s eyes go wide.

LIZ: You’re…not serious?

Caroline nods.

LIZ: (muttering)I really am dealing with a bunch of teenagers, aren’t I?

Caroline laughs.

LIZ: Can he hear us?

CAROLINE: Ohhhh yeah! Maybe embarrassment will replace guilt?

LIZ: Are you sure Elena’s ok?

CAROLINE: Bonnie’s keeping an eye on her. I’m kind of on Vicki duty tonight, but I’ll check in later.

LIZ: Wait a minute…

She hands Caroline a file folder.

LIZ: Damon was asking for this. Could you see that he gets it?

Caroline looks at the name on top of the folder.

CAROLINE: Why would Damon be interested Meredith? Ok, first—ew, that so did not come out right!

LIZ: For some reason, he wasn’t able to compel her last night at the bonfire. He wants to know if there’s any chance she’s—informed.

Caroline’s mouth hangs open for a moment.

CAROLINE: I’ll—make sure that he gets this. Catch you later.

Caroline leaves, and Liz walks back into the room where Stefan is being held.

STEFAN: Meredith—that was the girl Klaus wanted me to…to kill, isn’t it?

Liz nods.

STEFAN: Did you find anything?

LIZ: A suspicious grandfather, but otherwise a normal high-school overachiever. Stefan, I need you to be honest with me…

She approaches the bars.

LIZ: You were with Elena last night, correct? Did you stay with her the entire night?

A pained look crosses Stefan’s face.

STEFAN: (quietly) I couldn’t bear to leave her side until she woke up. I needed to know she was ok…

LIZ: Then you couldn’t have been in those woods!

Stefan looks at her, confused.

STEFAN: Three hikers were attacked by a vampire last night.

Stefan gasps.

STEFAN: Dead?

LIZ: All three victims survived. They’re in the hospital right now.

STEFAN: But that doesn’t make any sense.

LIZ: Damon said it might have been someone trying to send you a message. We’re going to check it out tonight.

STEFAN: The trail may have gone cold by then.

She pauses.

LIZ: You’re right. I’m going to check it out.

Stefan blinks.

STEFAN: Aren’t you going to wait for Damon?

LIZ: He obviously feels investigating suspicious teenagers takes priority over murder. I’m not going to wait around for him to fit me into his schedule. I’ve got a job to do.

The sound to forced metal is heard. Liz turns around to see Stefan outside the cell, moving the bars back into place.

STEFAN: In that case—do you mind if I fill in for my brother?

Liz shakes her head.

LIZ: Not at all.

*****

Mystic Falls High School—the rooftop.

BONNIE: So it was a combination of things that did it. Caroline’s blood restored their bodies, while Jeremy pulled back their spirits.

DAMON: Resulting in two no-longer-dead vampires?

BONNIE: That wasn’t the result though, Damon—it was the solution. Jeremy’s spirit had already passed on, so the only way to bring him back was by forcing him to come back. His—his feelings for Vicki and Anna pulled him back.

Damon nods. He can tell by Bonnie’s face that this isn’t something she’s comfortable talking about.

DAMON: And that bothers you—that’s not exactly news, Bonnie.

BONNIE: It’s more than that. They didn’t just pull Jeremy back, Damon—they’re keeping him back. His life-force is tied to theirs now.

Damon sighs.

DAMON: So if he dies, they die?

BONNIE: And vice-versa.

Damon pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration.

DAMON: And what exactly did these five hundred dead witches ask in return?

BONNIE: I don’t know—just that I needed to restore the balance that I upset when I cast this spell.

Damon chuckles. 

DAMON: That’s just great. As if we didn’t have enough to worry about without you owing Emily a favour.

A serious look comes over Bonnie’s face.

BONNIE: Elena can’t know about this. She already lost too many people—I can’t let her know Jeremy’s life is conditional. If she knew what I’d done, she’d hate me for it!

Damon grabs her by the shoulder.

DAMON: Hey, enough of that! Jer’s alive, right? Isn’t that what matters?

BONNIE: He’s on borrowed time, Damon!

DAMON: Borrowed time that you gave him, remember? That’s more time than he would have had if you’d done nothing, right?

Bonnie nods, relaxing somewhat.

DAMON: Besides, he could be alive another eighty years—maybe longer, depending on how strong this life-force connection is. Us vampires tend to live a long time.

BONNIE: They both died before.

DAMON: John got lucky with the Gilbert Device. Anna managed to avoid getting thrown in the tomb, and stayed off everyone’s radar for years. She’s not going to get herself killed again.

Bonnie doesn’t seem convinced.

DAMON: Besides, she—sort of wants to join our coven.

Bonnie makes a face.

BONNIE: Since when are we a ‘coven’?

DAMON: Since about an hour ago, apparently. Pearl stuffed all this old vampire class system nonsense in her head, and she thinks joining up with us will be safer for her in the long run. And since you belong to us, too…

Bonnie gives him a dirty look.

BONNIE: I don’t ‘belong’ to anyone!

DAMON: Her words, not mine. Either way, it’ll make it much easier to keep an eye on her, don’t you think?

Bonnie nods.

BONNIE: Ok, but what about Vicki? Last night proved we can’t count on her keeping out of trouble on her own.

DAMON: The first thing you need to do his make her a lapis lazuli ring.

She shakes her head.

BONNIE: I’m sorry, Damon—it’s too dangerous. She’s too uncontrollable—I can’t make it easier for her to hurt people.

DAMON: Fine! The we’ll just let her stay cooped up in the boarding house, alone, cut off from everything and everyone else until she decides she’s had enough—and just steps in front of an open window at high noon. What do you think is going to happen to Jeremy then, huh?

Bonnie freezes.

BONNIE: If she hurts anyone…

DAMON: She won’t! We’re not going to let history repeat itself, I promise.

Bonnie looks into his eyes.

BONNIE: I almost believe you. But—there’s one thing I have to know, Damon.

Damon waits for her to continue.

BONNIE: Emily told me that—that one of the reasons Jeremy was able to pull Vicki back was that he still had love in his heart for her.

DAMON: So this is a jealousy thing?

BONNIE: No! Yes, but—that’s not the point. She also said that Jeremy didn’t even realize it, because some magical force was blocking those feelings from his mind. Do you know anything about that?

Damon’s face falls, a guilty look echoing across it.

BONNIE: Damon?

DAMON: Yeah—yeah, I know what it is. It’s me…I’m the magical force.

Bonnie looks at him, angrily.

DAMON: The night Vicki died, Elena—she asked me to help clean it up. So I did—I compelled Jeremy and Matt to think Vicki left town.

BONNIE: It wasn’t just his memories, though—was it?

DAMON: I took it a step further. You remember how he was, don’t you? The depression, the drugs—he wasn’t going to let the only thing that made him feel good about himself just up and leave without a fight. So—so I made him forget about her. I made him think it was for the best.

BONNIE: You compelled him to get over her?

Damon nodded.

BONNIE: Which means he never did—not completely. He’s still in love with her. He just doesn’t realize it!

Bonnie sits there, with a defeated look on her face.

DAMON: I thought I was helping him.

Without another word, Damon leaps off the roof of the school, vanishing from sight.

*****

Elena frowns at the piece of paper in her hands as she exits the guidance office.

MEREDITH: Hey, uh—Elena?

Elena looks up.

ELENA: Hi.

MEREDITH: Why the long face?

Elena waves the paper at her.

ELENA: Summer school.

MEREDITH: Owch. You would think they would cut you some slack, all things considered?

ELENA: I think I’ve worn out the school board’s sympathy.

MEREDITH: I was wondering—is Stefan around?

Elena hesitates.

ELENA: He—he skipped. Personal reasons.

MEREDITH: I heard about those guys jumping him last night? Is he ok?

Elena nods.

ELENA: Yeah. Luckily Tyler was there.

The two of them walk towards the cafeteria.

MEREDITH: Still, that’s pretty impressive. Two against six—Stefan must have some secret weapon we don’t know about.

Elena doesn’t answer.

MEREDITH: Maybe he can teach me a little self-defence?

ELENA: I don’t think so, Meredith. Stefan’s kind of—private.

At that moment, a girl rushes out of the cafeteria, gets a good look at Elena, and gasps.

DANA: Oh my god—it’s true! I thought you were, like, pulling some scam. This is so cool!

She runs back inside. Elena and Meredith exchange a confused look.

MEREDITH: That was abrupt, even for her!

ELENA: I wonder what she meant?

The two of them enter the cafeteria to see several students surrounding one of the tables. Elena moves closer, trying to see what all the fuss is about.

Her eyes go wide in panic as she sees just who has their attention.

KATHERINE: Hey, sis.

Elena stands there, frozen.

KATHERINE: I took the liberty of introducing myself to your friends. Hope you don’t mind?

Meredith looks at Katherine, then at Elena—then back at Katherine.

Then back at Elena.

She turns to Dana, looking for answers.

MEREDITH: Why—are there two Elenas?

DANA: This is Katherine, Elena’s sister—her TWIN sister, can you believe it?

Meredith turns to Elena.

MEREDITH: I didn’t even know you had a sister!

Elena’s eyes narrow as she starts to get over her shock—becoming angry. She glares at Katherine silently.

KATHERINE: Oh, we just found out about each other a few months back. You know the story: separated at birth, raised by two separate families…

Dana rubs her hands together, giddy over the gossip.

DANA: It’s like a soap opera.

Katherine stands up, walking towards Elena—who still glares at her.

KATHERINE: I’m just happy that I found her. It’s like a hole in my life I never knew was there has finally been filled.

Katherine hugs her, whispering into Elena’s ear…

KATHERINE: (whispering) I suggest you play along, Elena. Say one word, and I tear your little friend’s spine out.

Katherine lets go, facing Elena—the cold look in her eyes letting Elena know she’s serious.

Elena nods, understanding.

*****

Meanwhile, outside of town…

Stefan stars blankly out the window of the squad car as it drives by the woods.

STEFAN: I should have sat in the back…

LIZ: Enough of that, ok? I—trust you.

STEFAN: Which is something I don’t understand. For someone who’s spent the past year trying to kill me, you’re certainly giving me a lot of chances.

Liz thinks for a moment.

LIZ: I’ve spoken with a lot of your friends—Elena, Bonnie, Caroline—they all seem to have a very high opinion of you. Even Damon.

Stefan raises an eyebrow.

STEFAN: Damon?

LIZ: He told me you were the best of them. That any vampires in town who chose not to kill were following your lead.

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: He’s over exaggerating—are you sure Damon said that?

LIZ: You sound surprise.

STEFAN: Our relationship isn’t exactly one that invites high praise. Most of the time, he just mocks me.

LIZ: He also told me you tried to protect the town from him when you first got here.

Stefan sighs, a look of regret on his face.

STEFAN: I didn’t do a very good job of it. People still died.

LIZ: But you tried. Even though the council was actively hunting you down, you still risked yourself to protect us. And—you helped my little girl, Stefan. She said you taught her not to kill.

STEFAN: I didn’t want Caroline to become like that—I couldn’t. I had to try.

Liz’s face softens.

LIZ: And if you hadn’t, I would have been forced to kill my own child. There is no way I can ever repay you for that, Stefan. Giving you the benefit of the doubt is the least I can do.

Stefan manages a small smile.

STEFAN: Thank you for understanding. I know I haven’t exactly been on my best behaviour the past week, but I do appreciate you trusting us.

The squad car pulls up to the side of the road, and the two of them exit.

LIZ: This is where we found the car. Apparently they were looking for the falls when the attack came.

Stefan nods, and the two of them walk into the woods.

LIZ: The attack took place over there…

Stefan kneels down, examining the ground.

STEFAN: No, that’s just where it ended. Look…

He points towards the leaves.

STEFAN: The three humans must have started in this direction, towards the falls—notice how the leaves are brushed aside? They were dragging their feet.

He picks a twig up off the ground, smelling it.

STEFAN: One of them must have tripped.

LIZ: The girl. How did you know that?

STEFAN: Dried blood—she must have skinned her palms. What else did she tell you?

LIZ: That her friends just vanished. She found them in that clearing back there.

The two of them turn around.

LIZ: How do you know all this? Is it that obvious?

STEFAN: Because of my diet, interestingly enough. It’s a lot harder to find animals to feed on than people. They’re much faster, and with better survival instincts—over the years, I’ve had to learn to track my prey. It’s harder than you would think.

LIZ: And you never drink human blood—at least, not until recently?

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: I started taking small amounts when Katherine showed up—trying to build up a resistance to it. It was Elena’s idea.

LIZ: Did it work?

Stefan shrugged.

STEFAN: A little, but nowhere near good enough. Thanks to Klaus, I’m right back where I started.

They enter the clearing.

LIZ: Here’s where we found the bodies, all lying in a circle.

Stefan’s eyes go wide, as he sees the area.

STEFAN: You said there were three of them, correct?

Liz nods.

Stefan makes a fist as he recognizes the area—it’s the exact same spot that the sacrifice had taken place.

He grabs a stick, tracing circles in the ground.

STEFAN: Let me guess—your found the victims lying here…

He traces two more circles.

STEFAN: Here, and here?

Liz stares at him in surprise.

LIZ: Are you absolutely sure it wasn’t you?

Stefan looks at her angrily.

STEFAN: If it was, I would have never came back to this place! This is where Klaus held the sacrifice—where he killed Jules and Jenna, and tried to kill Elena!

Liz gasps.

LIZ: Do you mean—do you think this was Klaus?

STEFAN: If it was, he would be here right now waiting for us. No, I’m sure it wasn’t…but whoever it was, it’s someone who knew about the sacrifice. Damon was right—this was a message!

Stefan freezes. His ears pick up the sound of footsteps through the grass.

STEFAN: Someone’s here.

Liz draws her gun, aiming it at the woods.

LIZ: Show yourself!

STEFAN: Too late—she’s already gone.

Liz gives him a look.

LIZ: She? Did you recognize her?

STEFAN: No, she was moving too fast. I don’t think this was an ambush—someone was spying on us.

Stefan kneels down on the ground, tracing his fingers through the grass.

STEFAN: The question is, who would know this much about the sacrifice—but would go to the effort not to kill his victims?

LIZ: Her victims, you mean?

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: That’s assuming the person who was following us was the same one who made the attacks. We don’t know that for sure.

He finds a cell phone lying underneath the grass.

LIZ: Where did you find that?

STEFAN: Right here.

LIZ: My men went through here with a fine-toothed comb. There’s no way they could have missed it!

STEFAN: Which means someone wanted me to find this. Or Damon, since he was the one who was supposed to be here with you. Whatever it is, it’s a lead.

*****

Stefan and Liz walk back towards the squad car.

LIZ: I’m not sure what you think we’re going to find with planted evidence.

STEFAN: Whoever did this is playing a game with me. The best thing to do is play along until whoever it is slips us. If we don’t, someone else might end up hurt.

Liz nods.

STEFAN: Thank you, again.

LIZ: For letting you out? You were in jail voluntarily, Stefan.

STEFAN: No, I mean—for giving me something else to focus on. I promise, your trust will not be in vein.

They get into the car, and Liz turns her key in the ignition.

LIZ: Should I drop you off at the boarding house?

STEFAN: No, the school—I need to tell Bonnie about this. Maybe she…

Stefan pauses in mid-sentence.

LIZ: What is it?

STEFAN: Shh…

Stefan’s super-sensitive hearing picks up a noise—a ticking sounds, like a clock.

LIZ: What…?

Without another word, Stefan grabs Liz, and kicks the car door off its hinges. He throws the two of them out of the car at super-speed, covering Liz with his body—just as the car explodes.

BOOM!!!!

Liz stares at the burning wreck, horrified. Stefan looks at her with concern.

STEFAN: Are you ok? Is anything broken?

Liz shakes her head, still staring at the car.

LIZ: I—I almost…

She stares at Stefan in amazement.

LIZ: You just saved my life. Thank you.

Her eyes narrow.

LIZ: The station garage has security sensors. That means whoever planted that bomb must have done it while we were in the woods.

STEFAN: We were gone ten minutes, which means it had to have been someone who moved supernaturally fast.

Liz shakes her head.

LIZ: What kind of a vampire tries to kill you with a bomb?

Stefan doesn’t have an answer. He feels the cell phone in his hand start to ring. A text message appears on it:

Now you know I’m serious

STEFAN: One with a grudge.

*****

The boarding house…

VICKI: So, who is this girl anyway?

Caroline and Vicki stand off to the side as Damon casually flips through the file Liz had sent him.

CAROLINE: Meredith Sulez—she was the one Klaus fed to Stefan to make him go blood-crazy again. Major overachiever—kinda a film geek, and really nosy. Beyond that, I don’t really know much about her.

Damon smirks at her, turning a photograph from the folder for her to see. It’s of Caroline and Meredith, a few years younger, making funny faces at a photo booth.

DAMON: Oh really?

Caroline pouts.

CAROLINE: I was thirteen—I hung out with everybody! That’s how you get to be popular.

She crosses her arms, a smug look on her face.

VICKI: So why are you so interested, Damon?

DAMON: For some reason, I can’t compel her anymore. I’d like to know why that is.

CAROLINE: Maybe you’re just loosing your touch?

Damon gives her a dirty look.

Vicki puts up some of the file contents, looking them over.

VICKI: Hey, check this out?

She shows them a newspaper clipping, showing a young man being led into a truck.

VICKI: Apparently her grandpa cried ‘vampire’ so many times the council had him committed.

Damon races over at super-speed and snatched the newspaper article from her hands. He stares at it, wide-eyed.

CAROLINE: That’s Meredith’s grandfather?

VICKI: You sound surprised. What, you never heard of ‘crazy old man Sulez’? The conspiracy nut? According to that article, he claimed that he saw a vampire kill someone back in the 50’s, and demanded the town help him track it down.

Caroline shook her head in disbelief.

CAROLINE: But—why would they lock him up for that? Vampires ARE real! The three of us are unliving proof! And I’m pretty sure the town council knew about it back then! Why would they lock him up for it?

DAMON: Because he wanted everyone to know the truth. The council didn’t—so they needed to keep him quiet.

The two girls look at Damon.

CAROLINE: Wait, you knew about Mr. Sulez? How?

Damon’s face gets serious.

DAMON: Because I’m the vampire he saw.

Caroline and Vicki gasp.

DAMON: The victim was Joseph Salvatore—Zack’s grandfather. He and Stefan were plotting to take me out, so I killed him before he had the chance. I didn’t realize there was a witness until after the fact.

VICKI: And you just let him go?

Damon scoffs.

DAMON: I didn’t ‘let’ him go, ok? I was kind of busy keeping Stefan from decapitating me! By the time I managed to double-back, he had already relocated to a rubber room. I didn’t see the point in pursuing it.

He sighs.

DAMON: Gramps must have found out some real info. Maybe he’s feeding her vervain?

CAROLINE: I thought you had the only vervain supply in town?

Damon looks at her, clearly annoyed.

DAMON: Mason and his werewolf friends had some, didn’t they? Whatever the reason, I need to find out just how much camera-girl knows.

He heads towards the door.

CAROLINE: Damon?

He looks over his shoulder back at Caroline.

DAMON: Hmm?

CAROLINE: You’re not going to—hurt her, are you?

Damon smirks.

DAMON: Relax, Blondie—I’m not about to start terrorizing teenaged girl again. Not even nosy ones. But…I do need to make sure history does not repeat itself.

He leaves.

VICKI: Maybe you should go with him? I don’t see any reason both of us have to be stuck in here until sundown.

Caroline sits down next to her.

CAROLINE: I talked to Bonnie today.

Vicki looks at her, hopeful.

VICKI: Any news on when I’ll get some sunlight protection?

Caroline frowns. Immediately, Vicki’s face falls.

VICKI: (muttering)Should have known.

CAROLINE: Don’t take it personally—Bonnie’s just worried you’ll lose control like Stefan did. I’m trying to argue on your behalf, though—oh, and I did get her to admit that jealousy might be clouding her judgement.

Vicki groans.

VICKI: Right—my only hope of ever seeing the light of day again depends on Jer’s judgemental girlfriend.

CAROLINE: Bonnie’s not that bad—she does kind of high standards, but once you get to know her there’s no one else you would rather have watching your back. You just need to find some common ground—besides your taste in men, that is.

Vicki gives her a shocked look.

CAROLINE: Oh, uh—I really said ‘taste’, didn’t I? Really, really bad choice of words there—trying to bite Jeremy is something you should definitely avoid, magic ring or no magic ring!

Vicki sighs.

VICKI: It’s funny—with that ring, he’s the only person I could bite without any consequences, right? But at the same time, he’s the one person I couldn’t live with myself if I hurt.

Caroline gives her a sympathetic look.

CAROLINE: You really care about him, don’t you?

VICKI: You’re Bonnie’s best friend—I’m sure you’ll report everything I say to her the first chance you get.

Caroline shakes her head.

CAROLINE: No, I promise—anything you want to tell me won’t leave this house.

Vicki bites her lip.

VICKI: I’m trying not to, I really am. I’m trying to stay away, but—but I can’t stop thinking about him! Not just him blood, either—I want Jeremy back. I want him so badly that it’s driving me crazy that I can’t have him!

Caroline takes her hand.

CAROLINE: Do you remember what it was like being human, compared to how you are now? How different everything feels?

Vicki nods.

VICKI: How everything’s heightened? How my—uh, my drug addiction became a blood addiction?

CAROLINE: When someone changes into a vampire, everything about them is amplified. Not just the bad things, but the good things as well. The way Stefan explained it to me, if something was important to you when you were human, it becomes really important after you’ve been turned. And if you already have feelings for someone, you just love them more.

Vicki closes her eyes.

VICKI: It’s not fair.

CAROLINE: You’re right—it’s not.

Vicki looks her in the eyes.

CAROLINE: After I changed, I tried to stay away from Matt, because I was worried that I’d hurt him. But I missed him so much that I thought it would drive me crazy, too. I know it doesn’t feel like a good thing right now, but—but at least Jeremy doesn’t hate you because of what you are.

Vicki nods, understanding.

VICKI: So—you and my brother, huh?

Caroline gasps, covering her mouth—completely embarrassed.

CAROLINE: Sorry, I got all caught up in the ‘new vampire bonding’ that I forgot.

Vicki smirks.

VICKI: Something just occurred to me. I was already dead when the two of you hooked up, so we never did get to have that awkward conversation, did we?

Caroline smiles.

CAROLINE: Better late than never.

Vicki vanishes, and reappears with two glasses and a blood bag.

VICKI: The sun won’t be down for a few hours, so what say we kill time gossiping about Matty?

Caroline giggles.

CAROLINE: You’re on!

She takes the bag and starts to pour their drinks.

*****

The Lockwood house…

Jeremy and Tyler carrying cardboard boxes downstairs, with Tyler easily carrying them with one hand.

TYLER: So you’re saying that this old historical junk is actually an anti-vampire arsenal?

JEREMY: I did not say that. But a lot of the old artefacts that the founders had did have some kind of spell placed on them. The first John Gilbert thought he was this great inventor, but really it was Emily Bennett that made the stuff work.

Tyler looks at him, surprised.

TYLER: Did you say ‘Bennett’? Any relation to your girlfriend?

JEREMY: Her direct ancestor.

Tyler shakes his head in amazement.

TYLER: So does that make Bonnie one of the ‘founding families’, too? What kind of supernatural gadgets did they make?

JEREMY: Well, my dad’s watch works sort of like a vampire-detector. Then there’s my ring—she also made Stefan and Damon’s rings, too. And the—uh, the machine Uncle John used on Founder’s Day.

Tyler stared at him in shock.

TYLER: That’s what caused the crash, isn’t it?

Jeremy nods.

Neither of them notice Carol standing at the top of the stairs, listening in on their conversation.

TYLER: (bitterly)That’s what he used to kill my dad.

JEREMY: It was an accident. He didn’t even know that werewolves existed. He just—he let his whole hatred of vampires consume him, to the point that he didn’t care who he hurt. He was even willing to die rather than have Elena become one herself.

The two of them sit down.

TYLER: Couldn’t that still be in the cards, though? I mean—Stefan’s a vampire, right? Doesn’t that mean Elena’s going to be one too someday?

Jeremy shakes his head.

JEREMY: I don’t think so. She got pretty upset at the idea.

TYLER: What do you think’s going to happen with them, then?

Jeremy shrugs.

JEREMY: You got me—maybe she’ll change her mind in five years or something?

TYLER: Did you ever think about it?

Jeremy scoffs.

JEREMY: Think about it? I tried to turn myself once.

Tyler’s mouth hangs open.

TYLER: You tried to turn yourself into a vampire? Why?

Jeremy bites his lip.

JEREMY: Well, Damon compelled me to forget that Vicki died—but I still found Jonathan Gilbert’s journals. I remembered how she was acting, and figured out Vicki had been turned. I just assumed she ran away because she didn’t want to hurt anybody. I thought—I thought the only way Vicki and I could be together was if I became one too, so I asked Anna to turn me.

TYLER: And she said no?

JEREMY: Well, yeah—after she figured out I was doing it for Vicki.

Tyler laughs.

TYLER: Smooth, man—normal girls would get jealous at that point! You add magnified emotions into the mix…

JEREMY: Yeah, yeah…I’m insensitive, I get it. Right before she died, though, she gave me some of her blood. After Damon told me what happened, I tried to turn.

Tyler’s face gets serious.

TYLER: How?

JEREMY: Sleeping pills. Not exactly reliable way of killing yourself, I know…

TYLER: Maybe that was the point? Deep down, you realized you were making a mistake.

Jeremy nods in agreement.

JEREMY: Yeah, maybe…but I can’t help but wonder. If Vicki had stayed home that night, would I have made the same choice?

Tyler scoffs.

TYLER: No way—you’d be playing the same tortured romance thing your sister does.

Jeremy rolls his eyes.

JEREMY: Lucky thing you’ll never have to worry about that, right? If you and Caroline hook up, I mean? You’re already supernatural.

TYLER: (sarcastically) Oh yeah—the whole ‘mortal enemies’ thing is really working in my favour.

Jeremy smirks at him.

JEREMY: From what Elena tells me, the whole fur and fang feud all started because of Klaus. Papa Original found out who his real dad was, and killed the entire pack out of jealousy. The two of you could be responsible for ending a thousand-year-old rivalry.

Tyler sighs.

TYLER: I appreciate what you’re trying to do, Gilbert, but there’s no point—she’s in love with Matt.

JEREMY: You mean the Matt who wants absolutely nothing to do with anything supernatural? The one who rejected her because of it? Twice?

TYLER: She still loves him.

JEREMY: For now, maybe—but who knows what’s going to happen? If my relationship with Bonnie taught me anything, it’s that persistence goes a long way.

Tyler considers this a moment.

JEREMY: I’m curious about something—that thing with Vicki last night? Was all that to make Caroline jealous.

Tyler scoffs.

TYLER: No! I, uh—I guess I was trying to make up for the way I treated her. Why? Did she look jealous?

Jeremy chuckles.

JEREMY: Not quite—but it definitely bothered her.

Tyler grins, but then his face becomes serious.

TYLER: Did it bother you? Seeing me and Vicki together?

Jeremy doesn’t answer.

TYLER: Sorry—I shouldn’t have asked that.

JEREMY: Then why did you?

TYLER: Because she still has feelings for you. I really shouldn’t be telling you this, but you should know what you’re doing to her.

JEREMY: I already did.

Tyler looks at him, surprised.

JEREMY: For her and Anna, it was like no time passed at all. From Vicki’s perspective, we were together one minute and over the next. That’s gonna take time to get used to.

TYLER: Well, what about you? Do you still have feelings for her?

Jeremy looks down.

JEREMY: I’m with Bonnie now.

TYLER: That doesn’t answer my question.

Jeremy gives him a look that says ‘drop it’. Tyler shakes his head.

TYLER: Look—Vicki died and you moved on because you had to. That’s normal! You had no way of knowing she would come back from the dead! In a normal world, that’d never happen.

Jeremy sighs.

JEREMY: I don’t know, Tyler. I love Bonnie—I really do, but…sometimes when I’m around Vicki, it’s like I don’t want to leave. I look at her, and suddenly everything comes rushing back. I want to pretend that the last eight months never happened. But I can’t—she died, and I moved on. It’s for the best.

TYLER: You say that, but I’m not convinced.

JEREMY: I can’t do that to Bonnie.

Tyler shakes his head.

TYLER: I’m not suggesting you cheat—but admit that you feel something. At least you should talk to Bonnie about it.

JEREMY: Are you nuts? As if she needs another reason not to trust her? I just—do you think it’s possible to be in love with two people at the same time?

Tyler sighs.

TYLER: I hope so. Because, otherwise, I’m out of luck.

JEREMY: It doesn’t matter how I feel or don’t feel. I need to let go of Vicki—because it’s for the best.

Tyler looks at him suspiciously.

TYLER: Why do you keep saying it like that?

JEREMY: What?

TYLER: ‘It’s for the best’.

JEREMY: Well, it is. I’ve got to move on. It’s for the best.

Jeremy picks up and box and heads outside with it. Tyler, confused, follows after him.

Once they’re gone, Carole descends the stairs, thinking about everything she’d just overheard.

*****

Mystic Falls High School…

Stefan walks around back, talking in his cell phone.

STEFAN: The boarding house in under Elena’s name now, so no vampires she hasn’t personally invited in can get inside. You should be safe there.

LIZ: (on phone) I’m not sure how I feel about hiding.

STEFAN: Damon should be there soon, if he isn’t already. Tell him what happened. I’m going to touch base with Bonnie.

Stefan hangs up, and walks past the football field. As he does, he notices Matt sitting on the bleachers, staring off into space.

STEFAN: Matt?

Matt snaps out of his days and starts to leave. Stefan follows after him.

STEFAN: Hey? Can I talk to you for a minute?

MATT: Leave me alone, Salvatore. I’ve kept my mouth shut—what more do you want?

Stefan grabs him by the shoulder, turning him around. Matt freezes, a scared look on his face.

His expression immediately causes Stefan to recoil.

MATT: What do you want?

Stefan hesitates, unsure of how to proceed.

STEFAN: I—I wanted to apologize for the way I was acting yesterday.

Matt looks at him, confused.

STEFAN: I wasn’t myself. I know that’s no excuse, but if there’s anything I can do to make up for it, please…tell me!

Matt scoffs.

MATT: So not only are you a blood-sucking demon, but a total schitzo, too?

Stefan sighs.

STEFAN: I guess I deserve that.

MATT: What, so you’re ‘better’ now? How do I know you won’t snap again?

STEFAN: Just trust me when I say it won’t.

Matt glares coldly at him.

MATT: Is that all? Because I would really like to get back to reality.

He starts to walk away, but Stefan follows him.

STEFAN: I need to talk to Bonnie. Something happened in the woods last night…

MATT: I guess I should say ‘thanks for not killing my friends’, right?

STEFAN: No—something else. Three people were attacked.

Matt turns to him.

STEFAN: What I told you yesterday was the truth, Matt. There are other vampires in the world besides us—ones that have no qualms about hurting people.

Matt’s eyes narrow.

MATT: Because that’s something you avoid?

STEFAN: Hate me all you want, Matt. Call me a demon, call me a monster—but at the end of the day, know that I still consider you a friend. I’m telling you this so that you know to be careful. So that you’ll take the necessary precautions for your own safety.

Matt takes a step closer to Stefan.

MATT: You want me to feel safe, Stefan?

Stefan nods.

MATT: Then stay the hell away from me!

With that, Matt storms off. Stefan looks down, sighing in defeat.

*****

Elena walks down the hallway, a mixture of panic and anger on her face.

She storms into the history class, where Alaric is grading papers.

ELENA: Katherine! Here! Explain! Now!

Alaric sighs.

ALARIC: I’m sorry—she got the drop on me. I wanted to tell you before you found out, but you were still asleep when I left this morning.

Elena’s angry look didn’t waver.

ALARIC: She showed up at the social services office while I was trying to get custody of you and Jeremy. Apparently her and Isobel were posing as mother and daughter, and had the photos and paperwork to back it up.

A hurt expression crosses Elena’s face upon hearing that.

ALARIC: Sorry.

ELENA: Why? What possible reason could she have for doing this, despite the obvious—ruining my life!

ALARIC: The only reasoning she gave was not wanting to pretend to be you all the time.

Elena sighs, sitting down in one of the desks and covering her face with her hands.

ELENA: That’s something, I suppose. You should have seen her in the cafeteria, Ric—she had everyone eating out of the palm of her hand with the ‘happy family’ routine. Then she threatened to kill Meredith if I didn’t play along.

ALARIC: Meredith?

ELENA: She’s—an old friend. We used to hang out back in grade school, but I guess we drifted apart the past few years.

ALARIC: I’m sorry to hear that.

ELENA: She was the one Klaus used to tempt Stefan—she almost died, and I didn’t even recognize her. God, I’m a horrible person, aren’t I?

Alaric sits next to her, shaking his head.

ALARIC: Of course not. Elena, people drift apart—it happens.

ELENA: Maybe Matt’s right? Maybe, ever since my parents died, it’s just been easier for me to relate to people involved with the supernatural?

ALARIC: You stayed friends with Caroline, right? Before she was turned—Matt’s just hurt, and he’s digging for a reason why you’re choosing your other friends before him.

ELENA: I don’t understand why I even have to choose. It—it’s just stupid!

ALARIC: No argument here.

Elena manages to smile.

ELENA: You know, you’re getting good at the parental thing.

He laughs.

ALARIC: Any ideas on what to do about your ‘twin’?

ELENA: It’s too bad Elijah left town. At least with him around Katherine wasn’t the strongest vampire in the area.

At that moment, there’s a knock on the door. The two of them turn to see Anna standing there.

ANNA: Uh, is this a bad time?

ELENA: When did you get back?

ANNA: Today. I couldn’t help but overhear that you were having a problem with Katherine, and I was wondering if I could do anything to help?

Elena blinks in surprise.

ELENA: You want to help? Why?

She walks right up to Elena.

ANNA: Because—I want to join you. And, since Stefan apparently made you the leader of their clan, that means I need to get on your good side. So whatever you want me to do, Elena, I’ll do it.

Elena hesitates.

ELENA: Join us? I don’t—I don’t think I understand. I’m not sure that…

Anna gives her a pleading look.

ANNA: Please, Elena. I know I tried to hurt you before, but—but I don’t have anywhere else to go. I don’t want to be on my own again.

Elena’s face softens. Alaric turns to her, an amused look on her face.

ELENA: Ok, but you have to promise not to feed on anyone, or compel them unless it’s for their own safety.

ANNA: Are you serious? I can feed on someone without killing them, you know?

ELENA: Not against their will—I won’t accept that! And you said you’d do anything.

Anna sighs, nodding in agreement.

ANNA: Ok, deal.

Elena offers her hand.

ELENA: Then welcome to the—uh, what did you call it again?

Anna’s eyes go wide.

ANNA: Wait, that’s it? Don’t you want me to prove I can be useful first?

Elena shakes her head.

ELENA: This isn’t a gang, Anna. Call it what you want, but Damon and Caroline and everybody else aren’t my soldiers—they’re my friends. And, as long as no one gets hurt, I’d be happy to count you as one of them, too.

Despite herself, Anna manages a smile.

ELENA: So, as a friend, I’m asking for your help with Katherine.

ANNA: She’s not exactly one of my favourite people. Count me in.

*****

Back on the roof…

Bonnie sits by herself, eyes closed, and concentrating. She whispers to herself in a strange language.

On the cement around her, small flames begin to appear. It burns strange characters into the cement, circling her. The writing begins to move in a clockwise pattern.

At that moment, Stefan leaps atop the roof, his eyes wide at the sight before him.

BONNIE: Write this down.

Stefan gasps, surprised she noticed him in her current state—and even more surprised that her first words were an instruction. He notices a pad of paper and a pencil lying by the roof exit and complies.

A moment later, Bonnie’s eyes open and the flaming writing vanishes. She collapses, feeling a little week.

STEFAN: Bonnie? Are you ok? What was that?

She looks at him.

BONNIE: I—I tried to contact Emily and the others, and they passed me this message.

Stefan hands it to her.

STEFAN: What does it say?

BONNIE: I don’t know—it’s in a language I don’t understand. I think—I heard a voice say deciphering the message would be the first test I would have to pass.

Stefan helps Bonnie to her feet.

STEFAN: I don’t like this. Using all this power to stop Klaus was one thing, because he was a danger to all of us. You shouldn’t be putting yourself in danger if you’re not sure you can control it.

Bonnie looks at him, angrily.

BONNIE: You’re a find person to be talking about being in control, Stefan! Or is that mark on Elena’s neck just a really unusual-looking hickey?

Stefan looks as if he’s just been slapped. The guilt once again covers his face.

STEFAN: Bonnie, I…

Bonnie sighs.

BONNIE: I know, I know—it was an accident. You didn’t mean to hurt Elena. Hurting Elena is the last thing you ever wanted to do. But the point is you did, Stefan—and I am trying really hard not to judge you for it. So please, trust that I know what I’m doing. This is about getting control, not losing it!

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: Right now we have bigger problems. Someone just tried to kill Sheriff Forbes.

BONNIE: What? When? Is she ok?

STEFAN: I sent her to the boarding house. She should be safe there. It gets worse, though—while everyone was trying to stop me from killing anyone last night, another vampire left a message for us. Three victims, still alive, in the exact same place the sacrifice took place.

Stefan shows Bonnie the phone.

STEFAN: They left this, knowing me or Damon would find it. Then they set a bomb in Liz’s car.

BONNIE: Do you think it’s Klaus? Could he have escaped?

Stefan thinks for a moment.

STEFAN: If it was, he would want us to know it was him. No, it’s not Klaus—but it’s someone who knows what went down that night.

BONNIE: I’ll head to the boarding house. You get Elena.

Stefan freezes.

BONNIE: From what I understand, you were—caught in the moment last night, right? I’m sure she’ll be safe with you.

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: Right, you’re right. Good luck.

Bonnie steps off the side of the roof, gently levitating to the ground. Stefan watches her go, feeling somewhat unnerved.

*****

The boarding house…

Liz walks inside the front door, still looking a little shaken up.

LIZ: Damon?

As she walks through the foyer, she hears the sound of laughter coming from the library. Confused, she approaches it—finding Vicki and Caroline sitting together.

VICKI: Get out! You—actually serenaded him?

CAROLINE: Well, it sounds desperate when you call it that!

Vicki snickers.

VICKI: It wasn’t desperate?

CAROLINE: Ok, maybe a little…

Caroline giggles.

VICKI: Did he die of embarrassment?

CAROLINE: Nope. He jumped right up on stage and we made out in front of everyone in the Grill!

Vicki rolls her eyes.

VICKI: I would have never let him live that down, you realize?

CAROLINE: Hey, we set that stage on fire! Then Elijah’s manwitch shows up looking for Elena, and actually did set the stage on fire. And the bar, and the tables! There was this big fight, and Matt actually tried to come to my rescue. I ended up having to save him, and well…that’s how he found out about me.

A sad smile crosses Liz’s face at the scene. After a moment, the two girls notice her standing there.

CAROLINE: Mom? Hey—I thought you were with Stefan.

Liz snaps out of her daze.

LIZ: Yeah. Uh—he told me it would be safe here. Someone put a bomb in my car.

Caroline gasps, running over to Liz and hugging her.

CAROLINE: Are you ok?

Liz nods.

LIZ: Stefan, he—I guess he heard the mechanism. He saved my life…

Caroline smiles.

CAROLINE: Yeah, he does that.

LIZ: Sorry, I’m still a little shaken up. Maybe a drink would calm my nerves?

She picks up Caroline’s glass of blood, causing Caroline to shriek.

CAROLINE: Mom! You don’t want to drink that--trust me!

Liz looks confused.

CAROLINE: That—is not wine.

Liz’s eyes go wide as she stares at the glass. She quickly puts it back on the table, backing away slowly.

LIZ: Oh—oh god…

Caroline tries to keep a straight face upon seeing Liz’s expression.

LIZ: You—drink it out of a glass?

Caroline can’t hold it in anymore, and burst out laughing. Vicki soon joins.

Despite the strangeness of the situation, Liz starts laughing as well.

*****

Back at the school, the crowd in the cafeteria seems to have dissipated. Most of the students have rejoined their own little groups.

Katherine sits at one of the tables, listening to the conversations by the other students. A smile appears on her face.

MEREDITH: I’m curious why you didn’t wait until September to make your grand entrance?

Meredith sits with her, much to her surprise.

MEREDITH: Since school is pretty much over until the fall, I mean? You could have registered by phone.

KATHERINE: Ah, but then I would have to remain in hiding all summer, wouldn’t I? This way, there’s no uncomfortable questions when I show up at one of those events the Lockwoods are always organizing. I wouldn’t want to cause a scene.

Meredith smirks.

MEREDITH: Isn’t that what you were doing just now? Causing a scene, I mean?

Katherine looks at her, innocently.

KATHERINE: What do you mean by that?

MEREDITH: Come on—you were seriously hamming it up for Dana and her gossip gang. It doesn’t take a master detective to see Elena isn’t exactly thrilled to see you here.

KATHERINE: Caught that, huh?

MEREDITH: Personally, I’m curious why Elena never mentioned you to anybody before.

Katherine leans forward.

KATHERINE: Tell me—how would you feel if a relative you didn’t know you had showed up on your doorstep wearing your face?

MEREDITH: I guess I would feel threatened.

KATHERINE: I’ve been in town for months, you know? There’s been a few times when people actually thought I was Elena—which was kind of fun, but I’d rather be myself.

Suddenly, Meredith’s eyes light up.

MEREDITH: Hey, if you’ve been in town awhile, then you must have met Elena’s boyfriend, right? Stefan Salvatore.

Katherine grins.

KATHERINE: Now that—is an understatement.

MEREDITH: Have you ever noticed anything strange about him? I mean, he keeps to himself a lot.

KATHERINE: He has his reasons.

Meredith raises an eyebrow.

MEREDITH: How well do you know him?

KATHERINE: Very. We—uh, we used to date.

Meredith’s eyes go wide. A few tables away, Dana’s ears perk up upon overhearing the conversation.

MEREDITH: Say what?!? When?

KATHERINE: Years ago—before either of us ever met Elena.

MEREDITH: And now he’s with Elena—that’s gotta be awkward! Especially considering—well, you know?

Katherine smirks.

KATHERINE: I wouldn’t be surprised if he thought Elena was me the first time they met.

Meredith laughs.

MEREDITH: Did Stefan ever tell her about you?

Katherine sighs.

KATHERINE: Unfortunately—that’s probably why she hates me so much.

Meredith looks at her, concerned.

MEREDITH: I’m sure she doesn’t hate you. I mean, you’re family, right?

Neither of them notices Elena and Anna standing at the door.

ELENA: What’s she saying?

ANNA: Her own skewered version of the truth. The one that makes her seem innocent and you and Stefan look unreasonably cruel to her.

Katherine looks over Meredith’s shoulder, locking eyes with Elena for a moment.

KATHERINE: Things between me and Stefan didn’t end very well. I—hurt him.

MEREDITH: What happened?

KATHERINE: I cheated on him.

Meredith’s mouth hangs open.

KATHERINE: With his brother.

MEREDITH: Damon? You and Damon? I mean—why?

A mischievous look appears in Katherine’s eyes.

KATHERINE: You really have to ask? He was older, more mature—a little on the dangerous side. Then there’s that piercing gaze of his. Most of all—he understood me a way Stefan never did. When Stefan found out, it broke his heart. He hated me for betraying him, and he hated his brother for coming between us. As far as Stefan Salvatore is concerned, I ruined his life.

A sad look comes over her face.

KATHERINE: Stefan blames me for how bad things got between him and Damon--he’s never forgiven me. Stefan’s even managed to convince Elena I’m this horrible person because I made one mistake years ago—she won’t even give me a chance now!

MEREDITH: That’s horrible! You—do you think he’s dangerous?

Katherine looks over her shoulder.

KATHERINE: (whispering) Stefan has a lot of secrets. If I were you, I wouldn’t dig too deep, Meredith. For your own safety, of course—there’s no telling what he could do if you’re not careful.

Anna’s eyes narrow.

ANNA: Why that fake, lying, manipulative little…

ELENA: What’s going on?

ANNA: Well, right now she’s trying to paint Stefan as the possessive psychopath between the two of them. Oh no…

Elena looks at her, concerned.

ANNA: Things just got a whole lot worse.

There, standing at the opposite exit, is Stefan—and he doesn’t look happy.

He marches right towards the table.

STEFAN: What—are you—doing here?

Katherine fakes a look of surprise.

KATHERINE: Stefan? What a surprise! I, uh…we were just talking.

A look of pure fury fills Stefan’s face.

STEFAN: Don’t play games with me, Katherine. I am really not in the mood!

At this point, they’ve gathered the attention of several students.

Meredith looks at Stefan’s face, and her head starts to pound. Slowly, she inches away.

MEREDITH: I, uh—I’m just going to take off. It was nice meeting you…really.

She leaves the lunch room.

KATHERINE: You’re not being very welcoming, you know? Aren’t you supposed to offer to give me a tour of the school?

STEFAN: (whispering) You think I didn’t hear that story you came up with?

Katherine smirks.

KATHERINE: (whispering) I’m sure you would rather I told her the real reason you hate me, Stefan?

STEFAN: Were you in the woods last night?

KATHERINE: Why do you ask?

STEFAN: Because three people were attacked by someone who knew all about the sacrifice. The victims were found in the exact pattern from that night. Someone just tried to kill Caroline’s mother when she went to investigate. I swear, if this is your idea of a joke…

KATHERINE: I’ve been here for the past three hours, Stefan—ask anyone.

STEFAN: And last night?

She glared at him.

KATHERINE: Do you honestly believe I would be a copycat to Klaus, of all people?

STEFAN: When it comes to torturing me, I’m no longer surprised at the depths you’ll stoop to, Katherine.

She actually seems hurt by that.

KATHERINE: I had nothing to do with it.

Stefan wait a moment, trying to decide whether to believe her or not.

STEFAN: Why are you here?

KATHERINE: What, you think you have a monopoly on pretending to be a teenager? I’ve never done the high school thing before—ever. It wasn’t exactly a top priority in my day. I want to see if the so-called ‘best years of your life’ is really worth the hype.

STEFAN: Why Mystic Falls?

KATHERINE: Why not?

Stefan’s eyes narrow.

STEFAN: Maybe you didn’t attack those people, but you’re up to something. I will find out what it is!

KATHERINE: Were you always this paranoid, or did it start after I turned you?

Stefan snarls, his eyes starting to bleed.

KATHERINE: Careful, Stefan—we wouldn’t want to scare anyone not in-the-know, would we?

*****

Out in the hallway…

Damon walks by the classrooms, checking each of them one-by-one.

DAMON: (muttering)Nope. Nope—not there, either.

Just then, his hears pick up a familiar voice.

ELENA: (off-screen) What are they talking about?

KATHERINE: (off-screen) Maybe you would worry less about me, Stefan, and more about them. That girl, Meredith—she wanted to know if I ever noticed anything ‘strange’ about you.

Damon’s eyes go wide.

DAMON: Oh for…

He runs towards the cafeteria, where he finds Elena and Anna watching the conversation.

DAMON: Hi—why hasn’t anybody separated them yet?

The two of them turn to Damon in surprise.

KATHERINE: I’m not sure how much little Ms. Overachiever knows, but she definitely suspects you of something. You’ve gotten sloppy, Stefan.

STEFAN: Leave her out of this. She’s suffered enough because of me.

Katherine rolls her eyes.

KATHERINE: Yes, because everything Klaus does is your fault, isn’t it? Don’t you get that you were just another one of his pawns? You were just lucky enough to escape him. So enough with the guilt—it isn’t attractive. You can just shut it off, you know?

STEFAN: I don’t want that!

She smiles sweetly at him.

KATHERINE: Then what do you want, Stefan?

At that moment, Stefan loses his patience—he jumps up, furious.

STEFAN: (loudly)I want you out of my life!!!!

Stefan’s outburst causes several of the other students to stare in their direction.

Katherine has a scared expression on her face, which is obviously just for show. It quickly occurs to Stefan how this would seem to anyone else watching.

KATHERINE: Not everything is about you, Stefan. I’m not going anywhere! So, unless you want a reputation as the unstable ex, I suggest you start behaving yourself. Ok?

A hand grabs Stefan’s arm from behind. He turns to see Elena standing there.

ELENA: Stefan!

His face softens, as all the anger drains out of him. Damon walks up from behind him, giving Katherine a look.

DAMON: Am I interrupting.

Katherine smirks at him.

KATHERINE: Not at all. I needed someone to save me from your little brother. He has anger issues.

Damon smirks back.

DAMON: My turn. Elena, get him out of here.

Stefan hesitates, not wanting to leave the two of them alone. He glares daggers at Katherine, but Elena manages to pull him away.

ELENA: Hey, come on—she’s not worth it.

Reluctantly, Stefan allows her to lead him out the door. As they leave, she turns to Anna.

ELENA: Watch them.

ANNA: Don’t have to tell me twice.

Once Stefan and Elena are gone, Damon sits down.

DAMON: What are you doing?

KATHERINE: Socializing. Is that a crime?

DAMON: It sounded like you were trying to push Stefan’s buttons. Take it from someone who’s developed it into an art form—he pushes back.

KATHERINE: Like I told him, this isn’t about Stefan. A girl can only get rejected so many times before she cuts her losses.

DAMON: Why don’t I believe you?

KATHERINE: Believe what you want. Now, unless you’ve managed to compel everyone into thinking you’re five years younger, I suggest to take off.

Damon shakes his head.

DAMON: Not until you tell me what you know about Meredith.

She raises an eyebrow.

KATHERINE: She likes asking questions—very suspicious. Why do you ask?

DAMON: Because, for some reason, I can’t compel her.

Katherine’s mouth hangs open slightly. She nods, an impressed look on her face.

KATHERINE: So she does know more than she’s letting on. I’m intrigued.

DAMON: Her grandfather’s this big conspiracy nut. He saw me kill someone about half a century ago and tried to prove it. Stefan stopped me before I could silence him.

KATHERINE: You’re going to have to deal with her, you know? Won’t that upset your little deal with the Sheriff?

Damon shakes his head again.

DAMON: Right now, I’m trying a different approach. No one’s going to die if I can help it.

Katherine looks at him in surprise.

KATHERINE: You’re really trying to get back on his good side, aren’t you?

DAMON: Like you said, not everything is about Stefan.

He gets up to leave.

DAMON: Oh, one other thing—you can play these mind games as much as you like. There’s no crime in spreading rumours. But if I find out anyone’s been hurt, I’ll be leading the charge to bring you down. Comprende?

KATHERINE: You couldn’t kill me the last time, Damon—what makes you think you can do it next time?

DAMON: Do you really want to test that theory? If it protects people from you, I won’t hesitate. Think about it.

With that, he leaves.

*****

Meanwhile, inside the restroom…

Meredith splashes water on her face, examining her reflection in the mirror. She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a voice recorder.

MEREDITH: Ok—this whole situation suddenly entered majorly awkward territory. For some reason, Stefan Salvatore’s been involved with both Elena and her sister—her twin sister, that no one’s ever heard about until today. Now, normally I’d just accept it as coincidence and move on, but I already know Stefan’s not exactly what you would call ‘normal’. Katherine knows about it, I’m sure--maybe Elena’s in on it, too.

She shakes her head.

MEREDITH: That look on his face when he saw her there—that was not the look of someone who’s bitter that his girlfriend cheated on him. He was furious! Like he wanted to kill her, or…

Meredith looks at the mirror again, seeing Stefan’s reflection behind her. His face was still twisted in that horrible expression.

MEREDITH: Stefan?

His eyes bleed red, and he lunges at her—his teeth sinking into her neck.

MEREDITH: NO! PLEASE!

Meredith turns around, and finds there’s no one there. No Stefan—no wound on her neck, save for the one that’s already bandaged up.

MEREDITH: Ok—now I’m hallucinating. It’s that face—that face…

She closes her eyes.

V.O.(Klaus): I’ve brought a gift for you…

She sees Stefan’s face—twisted into a monstrous form—descending towards her. Meredith gasps, as her eyes snap open.

Slowly, she sinks to the floor, covering her face.

MEREDITH: (whispering) What’s happening to me?

*****

In the hallway…

Stefan walks ahead of Elena, not looking too happy.

ELENA: Stefan, slow down!

STEFAN: I almost lost control back there! Again! If anyone had gotten a good look at my eyes…

Elena turns Stefan around to face her.

STEFAN: They look normal now.

Stefan touches the side of her face. His hand moves lower, lowering the scarf on her neck and tracing his fingers over the bite mark.

STEFAN: Elena, I am so…

ELENA: Don’t!

He pauses.

ELENA: The s-word seems to be the only thing you ever say to me these days.

STEFAN: I’ve had a lot to apologize for.

ELENA: You can’t take all the blame for this, Stefan. We were both reckless last night, but—I don’t regret it.

Stefan stares at her in disbelief.

STEFAN: I attacked you!

ELENA: Stefan, you can’t blame yourself. It was an accident…

Stefan looks at her intensely.

STEFAN: There can’t be any more ‘accidents’! Not with you!

Their gazes lock for a moment, and the two of them seem to be fighting their own instincts not to embrace. Finally, Elena sighs.

ELENA: I meant what I said—I’m not going to abandon you. We’ll just have to take precautions.

STEFAN: Way ahead of you.

Stefan reaches into his pocket and pulls out a glass vial containing a clear liquid.

ELENA: Vervain?

STEFAN: I want you to start ingesting it, at least until I regain some measure of control. Even if I do lose control again, having vervain in your system will stop me from taking too much blood.

Elena nods.

ELENA: And we can get back to work on developing your resistance to it at the same time.

Stefan doesn’t seem to like the sound of that, but he doesn’t press the issue.

ELENA: Caroline told me you were in jail?

STEFAN: It—was an impulse. I panicked and wasn’t exactly thinking clearly at the time. Lucky for me, Sheriff Forbes was very reasonable.

Stefan’s face became serious, as he remembered his original reason for coming there.

STEFAN: Someone just tried to kill her.

Elena gasps.

ELENA: What? When?

STEFAN: We were investigating some vampire attacks from last night. Whoever it was left the victims alive, at the sight of Klaus’ sacrifice.

That news causes Elena to get visually upset.

ELENA: (voice breaking)Why?

STEFAN: I don’t know, but I found this phone…

Stefan shows her the cell phone.

STEFAN: Whoever left this did it deliberately, knowing that I would find it. Then they set a bomb in the Sheriff’s car to show me they meant business.

ELENA: Do you think it was Katherine?

Stefan shook his head.

STEFAN: I did at first, but if she was here it couldn’t have been—the bomb was set within the ten minutes the Sheriff and I were in the woods, and I caught someone following us. If Katherine was here, it couldn’t have been her.

Stefan thinks for a moment.

STEFAN: Why is she here, exactly? What does she want?

Elena shrugs.

ELENA: You mean besides ruining my life and your reputation? Your guess is as good as mine. According to Alaric, her and Isobel had a cover story that Katherine was her daughter.

Stefan cringes.

STEFAN: Owch.

ELENA: Which makes her and I, for all intents and purposes, siblings.

STEFAN: If anything, it gives her freedom to act on her own without posing as you—but somehow I doubt it was for your benefit, Elena.

Elena thinks about that for a moment.

ELENA: When she was talking to Meredith, her cover story was almost like a backwards version of the truth—where you were the bad guy and she was the innocent victim. She’s doing the exact same thing Damon tried with me before I found out the truth. Maybe it’s deliberate?

STEFAN: You mean she might be trying to copy Damon? That she’s pretending to be your sister to do to you what Damon did to me?

Elena nods.

STEFAN: Elena, Damon spent a hundred and forty-five years mentally torturing me because he blamed me for…

Stefan closes his eyes, groaning in frustration.

STEFAN: Katherine knows I’ll never leave you for her, so she’s taking it out on you.

ELENA: That’s my theory, anyway.

Stefan grabs her by the shoulders.

STEFAN: I don’t like this, but Katherine is the least of our concerns right now. She’s causing trouble, but she hasn’t tried to kill anyone yet—so our main concern is finding this mystery vampire.

ELENA: Do you really need me for that, though?

Stefan looks at her, confused.

ELENA: You’ve already got Bonnie and Caroline backing you up. Except for some strategizing, I wouldn’t really be much use, would I?

STEFAN: Elena…

ELENA: But whatever Katherine’s game is, I’m at the center—maybe by keeping close, I can focus her attention on me instead of innocent bystanders?

STEFAN: I’m not sure I’m comfortable with the idea of you matching wits with Katherine by yourself.

ELENA: I won’t be by myself, Stefan. Anna is just as old as Katherine—if things get violent, she can protect me.

STEFAN: You trust her?

Elena nods.

ELENA: She doesn’t want to be alone, Stefan—so I’m willing to give her a chance. And, since you apparently made me ‘leader’ last week, it’s my call to make.

Stefan smiles in amusement.

STEFAN: I did that?

ELENA: You did. So go on—go help Sheriff Forbes. You’ll feel better about yourself once you prove you’re the good guy again. I can take care of myself.

STEFAN: I know you can. Just—be careful.

He moves to kiss her, but then hesitates and kisses her cheek instead. A disappointed look crosses Elena’s face.

STEFAN: Whatever you do, don’t let Katherine find out about what happened between us last night. The last thing we need is her finding out that my blood’s in your system. Remember what she did to Caroline?

ELENA: I know—I’ll be careful. You’d better be, too.

Stefan smiles, and then leaves.

*****

The Lockwood estate…

Jeremy finishes loading the last of the boxes into the back of the truck, as Carol walks out the front door to meet him.

CAROL: Thank you for doing this, Jeremy.

Jeremy shrugs.

JEREMY: No sweat. Aunt Jenna—she really cared a lot about this stuff.

A sad look appears in Jeremy’s eyes.

CAROL: Did she know?

JEREMY: Not until near the end.

There’s an awkward silence.

CAROL: I overheard your conversation with Tyler.

Jeremy looks at her, annoyed.

JEREMY: You were eavesdropping?

CAROL: I know I must come across as unreasonable to you, but I do have my reasons. Vampires are dangerous.

JEREMY: You think I don’t know that? Klaus was a vampire, and he’s the one who killed Jenna. That doesn’t mean they’re all like that.

CAROL: Perhaps not—but there’s always that potential.

Jeremy sighs in frustration.

CAROL: However—your conversation also brought something else to my attention. That it was John’s unreasoning hatred—his obsession—with destroying them, that led to my husband’s death. I don’t want to repeat your uncle’s mistakes, so I’m going to try and keep an open mind.

JEREMY: Just try to think of them as people. People can be good or bad, right?

Carol looks at him, impressed.

CAROL: You sound like your father.

Jeremy appears confused.

JEREMY: Wasn’t he a vampire-hater, just like Uncle John?

CAROL: He hated what they did, and that they existed at all--but Grayson never really believed in magic. He had a theory that, when a person became a vampire, they underwent a psychological change as well as a physical one. He believed that, given time, it could be treated just like any mental illness. That they could be re-educated.

JEREMY: Really?

She nods.

CAROL: Your father was a idealist, but no one else on the council ever believed him. The few vampires we managed to capture never responded when he tried to reason with him, and he ended up staking them himself. It is kind of a shame that he didn’t live to see his beliefs validated.

Jeremy smiles.

CAROL: He would have been proud of you, I think.

JEREMY: I hope so.

Tyler walks out of the house, carrying another box.

TYLER: I think this is the last one.

Carol nods, going back inside.

TYLER: And now she’s avoiding me, too—you think Elena would let me move into the boarding house?

JEREMY: Come on—cut her a little slack. She’s trying.

TYLER: Not hard enough. I’m guessing my destroying that statue yesterday didn’t help things.

The loads the box in the truck.

JEREMY: I thought you had the werewolf thing under control, Tyler—what happened?

TYLER: I thought I did, too. All I really did was give the wolf part of me more freedom—I can change at any time now, even if I don’t want to.

JEREMY: Something must have triggered it last night. There was no full moon, so it must have been something else.

Tyler sighs.

TYLER: I don’t know. I just—I saw that guy come at Caroline with the stake, and I just lost it. I wanted to hurt him! I wanted to kill him! I just got so angry…and then I changed.

JEREMY: Maybe that’s it? Maybe anger triggers the change.

TYLER: So what if it is? What good does knowing that do me?

JEREMY: Plenty. Now that you know what triggers your transformation, you can take steps to avoid it.

Tyler stares at him in disbelief.

TYLER: So all I gotta do is not get angry? You do remember who you’re talking to, right?

Jeremy sighs.

JEREMY: Ok, yeah—you’ve got anger management problems. Try working on that.

Tyler shakes his head, looking distraught.

TYLER: Mom’s got it all wrong—it’s not Stefan and Caroline that are the dangerous ones, it’s me! What happens if I change and I end up biting Caroline. The only cure is probably halfway to Romania by now.

Jeremy’s eyes light up.

JEREMY: Wait a minute. When you turned into a wolf last night, you didn’t even try to attack Caroline, or Stefan—or any of us. Four vampires right in front of you, and you went after a bunch of humans?

TYLER: Lucky thing.

JEREMY: No, I don’t think so. Maybe you just recognized your friends even after you ‘hulked out’?

Tyler raises an eyebrow.

TYLER: ‘Hulked out’? Run that past me again.

JEREMY: You know—like the Incredible Hulk? The comic book character.

TYLER: The bulky green guy with the purple pants? You’re comparing me to that?!?

JEREMY: Well, see—he’s a normal guy most of the time. But whenever he gets angry or stressed out, he changes into this super-strong monster and lashes out. Sound familiar?

Tyler sighs.

TYLER: Great…

JEREMY: But the thing is he never goes after innocent people. Every time he changes, he usually attacks whatever caused him to change in the first place. What if you’re the same way?

Tyler pauses, considering it.

TYLER: I got hurt fighting one of Klaus’ vampires, so I attack Klaus. Then those guys go after Caroline, and the wolf goes after them.

JEREMY: Maybe you just need to practice? Learn to control that temper so you’ll only get mad enough when there’s a good enough reason to?

Tyler nods.

TYLER: All right—I can try that. Any ideas?

Jeremy thinks.

JEREMY: Well, when you start to get mad, try thinking happy thoughts?

Tyler stares at him doubtfully.

TYLER: Happy thoughts? I can not believe you actually said that! You realize you’ve just lost all your tough-guy credibility, right?

JEREMY: You wanna control this thing or not?

Tyler sighs.

TYLER: Ok—happy thoughts? Like what?

JEREMY: Something that relaxes you—something that makes you smile and feel good about yourself. Just focus on that, and let it calm you down.

Tyler closes his eyes, trying to visualize it.

TYLER: I got it.

JEREMY: Now, think about yesterday…

TYLER: A total blank.

JEREMY: Me coming at you with that broken bottle last year…

Tyler looks at him, annoyed.

TYLER: Act of a desperate kid…

JEREMY: Uncle John locking your dad in a basement with a bunch of hungry vampires! Wouldn’t you like to get some payback?

Tyler glares at him angrily.

TYLER: All right—knock it off!

JEREMY: You know, your uncle was all set to sacrifice Caroline to break the curse. Funny he never asked your opinion.

TYLER: (growling) Shut up!

Jeremy grins, realizing he just found the right button.

JEREMY: Isn’t it funny how the guy you’re competing with isn’t even interested? Maybe he just wants to break her heart a third time first?

Suddenly, Tyler’s eyes start to glow yellow. He snarls, his teeth growing into fangs.

JEREMY: Ok, now calm down—shut it off!

Tyler stands there, in mid-transformation—glaring at Jeremy menacingly.

JEREMY: Think about the last game you won, or the fact that school’s over for the year…

Tyler seems to struggle, but there’s no visible change.

JEREMY: Think about Caroline. How proud of you she’s gonna be when she sees you beat this. Think about her smiling, laughing…come on, Tyler!

Like magic, Tyler’s face slowly returns to normal. He bends over, short of breath.

TYLER: You…like to live dangerously…don’t you, Gilbert?

Jeremy chuckles.

JEREMY: I’ve got my ring, remember? You can’t kill me.

TYLER: How’d you know it was Caroline I was thinking about?

Jeremy shrugs.

JEREMY: I’ve been where you are, remember? It takes some pretty powerful emotions to stay in love with a vampire.

Tyler laughs.

TYLER: Ok—let’s try this again…

*****

Meredith walks down the street, lost in thought. With every step she takes, images flash through her mind—images of that night. They pass through her head so quickly that she can’t make any sense of them.

Following behind her is Damon Salvatore. He stays far enough away that his pursuit isn’t obvious.

DAMON: (quietly) Come on—she has to be getting the vervain from somewhere. Who’s she going to meet?

Looking over her shoulder, Meredith ducks down at alley. Damon smiles, following her…

…only to find out she’s disappeared. He sees a side door on one of the buildings and walks over to it.

DAMON: Now, what’s in there?

He breaks off the handle, pushing the door open.

MEREDITH: Lost your keys?

Damon turns around, to see Meredith walk out from behind a dumpster. She has a large grin on her face.

DAMON: A smart girl like you should know better than to walk down dark alleys—you never know what could be waiting.

She walks up to him.

MEREDITH: You’re Damon Salvatore, aren’t you? Stefan’s brother? You’ve been following me since I left the school.

Damon raises an eyebrow.

DAMON: Now, why would I be following you?

MEREDITH: Hmm—I’m not sure. Maybe because you can tell I know something?

Damon’s eyes narrow.

DAMON: And what would that be?

MEREDITH: That you and your brother have super-strength—that’s how you were able to break the lock, isn’t it? And super-speed.

Damon snickers.

DAMON: You’ve been watching too much television…

MEREDITH: What other powers do you have? Can you read minds, fly, set things on fire? How long have you had your powers?

Damon smirks, walking up to her.

DAMON: Where’d you get the vervain?

Meredith wrinkles her nose.

MEREDITH: Ver-what?

DAMON: Vervain! Don’t act like you don’t know what it is!

When Meredith gives him a blank look, Damon’s face lights up.

MEREDITH: Don’t try to talk your way out of this one, Salvatore—I saw what you can do!

DAMON: The handle was rusty!

MEREDITH: Explain the woods last night then. Both you and your brother had to be moving at least a hundred miles an hour, and you tossed those jocks like they were made of paper.

Damon glares at her, wild-eyed.

DAMON: I know for a fact that you weren’t in those woods last night!

MEREDITH: No, but my camera was. Remember—the camera you didn’t let me grab before I left?

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a memory card.

MEREDITH: I’ve got the entire thing right here! So, unless you want your superhuman exploits broadcast on the six o’clock news, you’ll start coming clean with me. Otherwise, this is going straight to the med—

Damon snatches the memory card out of her hand a full vampire-speed.

MEREDITH: Hey!

DAMON: Thanks.

He smirks, crushing it into powder.

MEREDITH: You jerk!

She starts hitting Damon, who backs away in irritation.

MEREDITH: That was thirty-two gigs! Do you have any idea what those cost?!?

DAMON: Ow—cut it out! Maybe you should have thought of that before you tried to blackmail me?

MEREDITH: What, you think I didn’t make backups? I’m not stupid!

Damon’s jaw tightens. He doesn’t look happy.

MEREDITH: You don’t scare me.

DAMON: Didn’t you just get finished saying how you weren’t stupid? A smart person would know to be scared of me.

Damon walks closer to her, menacingly. Meredith backs away.

DAMON: Who else knows about this?

MEREDITH: No one.

DAMON: Not even your grandfather?

She gasps.

MEREDITH: How—how do you know about Gramps?

DAMON: Oh, we go way back! You’re just lucky I’m trying to be nicer these days, otherwise I’d send you back to him as a reminder of why it’s not a good idea to play games with me.

He backs Meredith up against the wall, looking into her eyes.

DAMON: Where are you keeping your backup?

MEREDITH: I’m not telling you!

Damon starts to get really mad. He stares into her eyes even more intently, his pupils shifting.

DAMON: You are going to get it and bring it back to me. Then you’re going to forget everything you know about me, about Stefan, and about everyone else connected to us. You are never going to bother me about this again!

Meredith stares at him. Damon sighs in relief.

DAMON: Finally!

MEREDITH: Oh my god…were you just trying to hypnotize me?

Damon’s face falls. He turns to walk away, but Meredith follows behind—grinning from ear-to-ear.

MEREDITH: You were, weren’t you? That’s what you were trying to do last night, isn’t it? You have mind-control powers too? That’s amazing!

DAMON: Do you mind telling me why it doesn’t work on you?

She smirks.

MEREDITH: Maybe my will’s just too strong for you? So, what are you exactly? Alien? Mutant? Some government experiment?

Damon laughs.

DAMON: You don’t even know?

MEREDITH: That video’s all I have to go on. What other powers do you have?

Damon grabs her arm, pulling her to the side.

DAMON: Would you please lower your voice?!?

MEREDITH: If I do, will you answer my question?

Damon sighs.

DAMON: Enhanced senses, speed, strength, agility, compelling people, and healing.

MEREDITH: Yourself, or other people?

DAMON: Both—which is the only reason that mark on your neck didn’t kill you!

Meredith’s eyes went wide as she touches the side of her neck.

MEREDITH: You—you were there that night? Is that why I can’t remember everything clearly?

DAMON: I used my powers to heal you, and then erased your memory—it worked fine then, so why isn’t it now?

She shakes her head.

MEREDITH: It’s not. I’m starting to remember the attack—it’s hazy, but…

Damon starts to look worried.

MEREDITH: It wasn’t a wolf that bit me, was it? It was a person.

Damon gives her a dangerous look.

DAMON: Ms. Sulez—go home! Erase that video, and forget you ever had this conversation.

MEREDITH: I can’t do that. Whatever you’re hiding, I’m going to keep digging until I find out the truth.

DAMON: You’re going to back off, little girl…before you open a door that doesn’t want to be closed!

She doesn’t respond.

DAMON: Don’t bother me about this again!

With that, he walks away.

*****

The boarding house…

Bonnie enters the front door, where she finds Liz, Caroline, and Vicki waiting for her.

BONNIE: Stefan said you were attacked?

Liz nods.

LIZ: We were investigating the sight of a vampire attack when it happened. Stefan saw someone following us—a female.

BONNIE: And all the victims were left alive?

Liz nods.

LIZ: Stefan said someone was trying to leave a message for him. But why would he try to kill him then?

Bonnie shakes her head.

BONNIE: Not him—think for a minute, Sheriff. Was Stefan supposed to be with you today?

Liz’s face lights up.

LIZ: The bomb was meant for Damon, then? Can you think of anybody who might want to kill Damon?

Caroline snickers.

CAROLINE: Hope you’ve got a few hours. You can find people with a motive for that just by looking in this room!

BONNIE: I think a better question would be who would want to kill just Damon? Whoever it was wants Stefan alive.

LIZ: We’re not going to get an answer by hiding out here.

Bonnie nods in agreement.

BONNIE: We’ll go back to the clearing. I should be able to detect the vampire’s aura and lead us straight to her.

LIZ: Shouldn’t we wait for Damon?

Bonnie shakes her head.

BONNIE: More than likely he’s already doing his own investigating. I know I’m not waiting around for him. Looks like it’s just you and me.

CAROLINE: I’m going, too!

Bonnie looks at her, surprised.

BONNIE: Caroline…

CAROLINE: Someone just tried to kill my mom! I’m not being benched this time!

Bonnie smiles.

BONNIE: Ok—just be careful.

CAROLINE: Hey, you never know—this might be a new vampire, right? There’s a slim chance I’m stronger for a change.

BONNIE: I’m not taking a chance.

Bonnie raises her hand, and Alaric’s weapons cabinet opens up. A crossbow flies through the air, right into Caroline’s hands.

BONNIE: If they can use bombs, we can arm you.

Caroline grins.

CAROLINE: Cool!

Liz goes over to the cabinet to arm herself as well.

VICKI: What about me?

Bonnie sighs.

BONNIE: I don’t want to wait for nightfall.

VICKI: Then make me one of those rings. Caroline said it takes you, like, five minutes!

BONNIE: It’s too late in the day. The spell only works when the sun is high enough in the sky.

Vicki looks at her, doubtfully.

VICKI: Are you sure that’s the real reason? Or don’t you trust me?

Bonnie hesitates.

CAROLINE: I trust her. Come on, Bonnie…

BONNIE: Someone has to stay here and wait for Stefan and Damon. You need to stay here, Vicki—where it’s safe.

Vicki looks confused.

BONNIE: We can’t let anything happen to you.

The three of them head to the door.

BONNIE: Wait—something’s wrong!

Liz draws her gun, and heads out the front door.

LIZ: I don’t see anyth—

BONNIE: Sheriff!!!

Liz suddenly flies through the air, straight towards the open door. She falls to the ground outside, as someone stands over her.

CAROLINE: MOM!!!

Caroline races outside, followed by Bonnie. The vampire vanishes before they get there.

BONNIE: Get her back inside! Quickly! And close the door…

CAROLINE: What just happened?

BONNIE: Caroline, go!

Caroline helps Liz to her feet, running back inside.

VOICE: Don’t worry—I couldn’t care less about either of them. You’re the one I wanted, Bonnie!

Bonnie gasps.

BONNIE: You? How?!?

A hand grabs Bonnie from behind.

BONNIE: AHHHH!!!

She falls unconscious into the second vampire’s arms.

VICKI: NO!

Vicki races towards the open door.

CAROLINE: Vicki, don’t—the sun!

Caroline runs towards Vicki, pulling her away just in time—however, the rays of the manage to land on her hand.

Vicki screams…

*****

At that exact moment, at the Lockwood estate…

JEREMY: AGH!!!

Jeremy clutches his hand, screaming in agony. Hearing his cry of pain, Carol runs out of the house.

CAROL: Tyler? What happened?

Tyler shakes his head.

TYLER: I don’t know—he just started screaming.

JEREMY: My hand—it felt like it was on fire!

Tyler grabs his wrist, seeing a horrible burn mark there.

Carol stares at it in shock.

CAROL: How—there’s no flames anywhere?

TYLER: Jeremy, what happened?

Jeremy looks at the two of them, as confused as they are.

*****

The Mystic Grill…

Matt’s serving tables when he sees ‘Elena’ walk inside, surrounded by an entourage. He smiles, despite himself, as she walks over to him.

MATT: That’s something I haven’t seen for awhile.

She smiles back.

MATT: Listen, I’m—I’m sorry about last night. What you told me—the whole doppelganger thing—it kind of freaked me out.

KATHERINE: Well, that’s to be expected. It freaked me out when I was first told, too.

MATT: It just feels like I’m losing everyone. I don’t want that. Do you think we could, maybe, just hang out a bit?

She smiles.

KATHERINE: I’d like that.

She sits down, twirling a finger in her hair.

KATHERINE: So, Matt—what are your plans for the summer?

MATT: Double shifts.

She raises an eyebrow.

KATHERINE: Wow! That sounds—really, really boring.

He rolls his eyes.

MATT: You know, some of us have to work for a living.

KATHERINE: It doesn’t mean it has to be boring work, you know? You’re only young once, right?

She laughs after saying that.

KATHERINE: Well, most people are.

He laughs.

MATT: Any suggestions?

KATHERINE: There’s this—research project I’ve heard about. As it turns out, the early days of Mystic Falls’ founding might have had some ulterior motives. I have a contact at Duke university who needs some help doing the legwork.

Matt looks surprised.

MATT: Why me? Jeremy’s more into this kind of history thing, isn’t he?

KATHERINE: Weren’t you just saying how you needed the extra money? Think of it as a learning experience.

She gives Matt a card.

KATHERINE: Here’s her number. Now, she’s kind of suspicious about my motives, but I’m sure if you just bat those baby blues at her, she’ll be eating out of your hand in no time.

MATT: Thanks. I—I don’t know what to say.

KATHERINE: How about ‘thanks Katherine’?

Matt freezes. He stares at her in horror.

KATHERINE: My reputation proceeds me, I take it?

MATT: (whispering) You—you’re the other one? The bad one?

She smirks.

KATHERINE: Good, bad—it’s all a matter of perspective, Matt. I like to think of myself as the ‘fun one’.

Matt swallows, obviously shaken.

KATHERINE: This isn’t the first time we’ve met, you know? Mayor Lockwood’s funeral, the night before the Masquerade—we’ve had a few talks. Actually—I think I’ve spent more time with you than Elena did since I came to town. Kind of makes you think.

MATT: Are you gonna kill me?

KATHERINE: Wasn’t planning on it. You’re kind of cute. You remind me of Stefan a little, back when he was human. He was scared of me, too—until I compelled him not to be.

MATT: So it was you? You made him a vampire?

KATHERINE: And his brother. And your girlfriend—well, ok, Damon helped with that one a little.

Matt’s fear seems to vanish, replaced by anger.

MATT: Why?

KATHERINE: I needed a new vampire, and she was around. Caroline was easy to control at first, you know—I threatened to hurt you, and she just did whatever I asked. Who could have known she’d grow a backbone, huh?

Matt continues to glare at her. Katherine sighs.

KATHERINE: I can tell this is not going to be a smooth working relationship. Listen, Mr. Donovan—I could have compelled you to do what I want, but I didn’t. I’m leaving that decision entirely up to you. So you can call that number, make some money, and actually do something with your life—or you can wait tables for a dive for minimum wage for the next three months. Think about it.

Just then, Elena and Anna enter the Grill. Elena stares at the two of them in shock.

KATHERINE: Oh, don’t look now, but Ms tasteless just came to turn off the music. It was nice talking to you, Matt.

She walks away, as Elena and Anna hurry over to Matt.

ELENA: Matt? Are you all right? Did she hurt you?

Matt shakes his head.

ELENA: What did Katherine want?

Matt looks at her, still confused.

MATT: She, uh—offered me a job?

Anna raises an eyebrow.

ANNA: Ok—I’m starting to think Katherine’s plan is to drive everyone crazy with paranoia. What kind of job?

MATT: Research assistant. Something about the history of the town…Anna, right? I thought you left town? You just stopped coming to class a few months ago.

ANNA: Change of plans. So, you know about Elena’s sister?

Matt’s eyes go wide.

MATT: Sister?!?

ELENA: It’s ok, Anna—Matt knows.

Anna raises an eyebrow.

ANNA: The quarterback knows now? What, did you just have a press conference while I was gone?

Matt stares at her.

MATT: Please don’t tell me Anna’s…

Elena nods.

MATT: How long? Is that why she disappeared?

Anna sighs.

ANNA: I was born in the fifteenth century, Donovan. Think it through.

Matt shakes his head.

MATT: I’ve…I’ve gotta get out of here!

Matt leaves, not stopping for anyone.

Elena watches him, sadly.

ANNA: I’m sorry.

Elena looks at her.

ANNA: I guess scaring people isn’t limited to us immortals, huh?

ELENA: It’s not your fault.

Elena looks towards where Katherine stands.

ELENA: Someone told me a doppelganger’s purpose is to tear apart the original’s life. Let’s see if that’s true.

She makes her way towards Katherine.

*****

Stefan pulls his car up to the Gilbert house. He exits, looking around.

He takes his cell phone out of his pocket—his own, not the one the vampire left for him—and reads the message again.

Bonnie:
Meet me at Elena’s
I found out who the vampire is

Stefan looks uneasy. It’s as though he senses something.

STEFAN: Bonnie?

Stefan’s answer is in the form of a stake flying through the air. It pierces his shoulder, going right through to the other side.

STEFAN: AGH!

Just as Stefan clutches his shoulder, the stake turns around in mid-flight, and pins his leg to the ground.

He lies there, unable to move, as a familiar face approaches him.

GRETA: Hello, Stefan.

Stefan stares up at her in horror.

STEFAN: Impossible—you’re dead!

She smiles sweetly.

GRETA: Coming from you? You know better than most, Mr. Salvatore, that death isn’t always the end for us. Did you really think Klaus wouldn’t have anticipated my death, and took steps to prevent it?

Stefan glares at her.

STEFAN: He gave you his blood? He turned you?

In response, Greta’s eyes start to bleed, and fangs appear in her mouth.

GRETA: Both Maddox and I have ascended! Now we’re hybrids, just like my beloved Klaus.

She pulls a another stake out of her coat, and plunges it into Stefan’s side.

GRETA: Klaus wasn’t there to greet me when I awoke. Where is he?

Despite the pain, Stefan chuckles.

STEFAN: Didn’t you get the memo? He’s dead, Greta!

GRETA: LIAR!!!

She twists the stake deeper.

STEFAN: He’s somewhere he won’t hurt anyone else ever again. Elijah took care of him.

GRETA: His own brother betrayed him? That’s familiar, isn’t it Stefan—you and Lord Klaus are too of a kind. Why can’t you see that?

Stefan glares at her.

STEFAN: You—are—completely—insane!

She sighs.

GRETA: I would kill you for your betrayal, Stefan, but for some reason Klaus needs you alive. It doesn’t matter. Once I taken Bonnie’s stolen power, I’ll be able to find where Klaus is being held. Then we can finally begin to realize his magnificent dream.

Stefan struggles, but he can’t move. The stakes hold him to the ground.

STEFAN: What have you done with Bonnie?

GRETA: Nothing yet—but I need her power. Once I have that, well—she’ll die. A little revenge for daddy and Luka.

STEFAN: They wanted Klaus dead!

GRETA: More lies! I cannot wait to see what Klaus’ punishment for you is. Perhaps he’ll let me watch?

She vanishes. Stefan struggles to move, but it’s useless…

*****

The sun starts to set, as Damon arrives at Alaric’s apartment. When he walks in, he finds Alaric taping up some boxes.

DAMON: Running away, are we?

ALARIC: The opposite, actually. I’m moving in with Elena and Jeremy—didn’t you hear? Official guardian now.

Damon nods.

DAMON: I did, actually. I also heard you made a deal with the devil to pull that one off.

Alaric sighs, turning to Damon.

ALARIC: It’s not like I asked Katherine for help. She just—gave it, and made sure I understood I’ll have to do something in return. If you have any idea what that is Damon then, please—share!

Damon smirks.

DAMON: Maybe you’re her new boytoy?

ALARIC: Please tell me that’s a joke!

DAMON: I couldn’t care less why she did it—I just want her gone!

ALARIC: Then get rid of her! I don’t care how strong she is—she’s outnumbered! You beat her once, remember? Just lock her in the tomb again!

Damon sighs.

ALARIC: Or better yet—kill her!

Damon looks away. Alaric seems confused for a moment, but then starts to laugh.

ALARIC: That’s it, isn’t it? You don’t want to!

DAMON: Don’t go there Ric.

ALARIC: Damon, this woman ruined your life! And Stefan’s! She turned you into a killer. You can’t possibly still have feelings for her.

Damon grabs Alaric and presses him against the wall.

DAMON: I…despise her! Nothing would please me more than to see Katherine dead.

ALARIC: But you can’t do it, can you?

DAMON: Would you have staked Isobel if you had the chance?

Alaric’s face falls.

DAMON: Yes, the idea of—getting rid of her permanently bothers me. You happy? Doesn’t mean I’m her loyal follower anymore.

Damon lets him go, looking out the window.

ELIJAH: Would you like me to deal with her?

The two of them turn around to see Elijah standing in the doorway.

DAMON: You! What gutter did you crawl out of?

Elijah smiles.

ELIJAH: Always with the lack of respect. I would think that, considering our last encounter, you would at the very least shows me some gratitude, Damon. How many times have I saved your life now?

DAMON: What are you doing here? I thought you’d be off playing house with the Brady Bunch by now? Wasn’t that the reason you wanted to stab Klaus in the back in the first place?

ELIJAH: Interesting analogy. I am currently in possession of all seven silver daggers. I’ll have centuries to catch up with them. For now, I would much rather keep an eye on all of you.

ALARIC: You can keep the apartment. I’m out of here anyway.

ELIJAH: Actually, Ric—that’s exactly what I intend to do.

He walks over to Alaric and hands him a wad of cash. He then goes into the kitchen, casually preparing himself some tea.

ELIJAH: I’ve taken the liberty to drawing up the papers myself. I trust this will suffice?

Alaric scoffs.

ALARIC: Kind of low-key for you, isn’t it? Was the Ritz booked?

Elijah sits down in one of the chairs.

ELIJAH: Oh, I won’t be living here. The apartment is for my sister—she prefers the ‘low key’, as you so eloquently called it. I’m sorry—I didn’t offer you any, did I? Where are my manners?

Alaric raises an eyebrow.

ALARIC: Sister? There’s another Original in town?

ELIJAH: You needn’t worry. She’s very—human friendly. Of the seven of us, she’s always cared for your species the most.

DAMON: As happy—and I use that term loosely—as I am to hear about your little family reunion, I’ve got things to do.

Just then, Damon’s phone goes off. He answers it.

DAMON: Liz?

LIZ: (on phone) Damon, you need to get to the boarding house right now!

DAMON: Kind of in the middle of something here…

LIZ: (on phone) They have Bonnie!

Damon’s eyes go wide.

DAMON: What?!?

LIZ: (on phone) It wasn’t a message, Damon—it was a trap! The attacks last night were supposed to lure Bonnie out so they could grab her.

An angry look comes over Damon’s face.

DAMON: Where’s Stefan?

LIZ: (on phone) He told me he would be with you!

DAMON: Never mind—I’ll be right there!

Damon hangs up.

DAMON: Bonnie’s in trouble. Someone grabbed her.

ALARIC: Who?

ELIJAH: Greta and Maddox, I imagine.

Damon stares at him in disbelief.

DAMON: That’s impossible! I killed them—snapped their necks myself.

ELIJAH: Elena died that night too, as I recall. It appears no one around here knows when to stay dead.

He takes a sip of his tea.

ALARIC: Damon, you remember what happened to Logan? You thought he was dead too, but someone gave him vampire blood before hand. What if Klaus did the same to both his witches?

Damon shakes his head.

DAMON: You mean Klaus turned them? Impossible!

Elijah smirks.

ELIJAH: You keep saying that word. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

Damon groaned.

DAMON: If I want to listen to bad movie references, I’d go hang out with Jeremy! You can’t turn a witch into a vampire! Everybody knows that!

ELIJAH: Once again, you believe everything you’ve been told, Damon. The correct information is that you shouldn’t turn a witch into a vampire. It’s possible—just not a very good idea.

ALARIC: Why not?

Elijah smiles.

ELIJAH: Have you ever heard of Vladamir Tepes? Vlad the Impaler?

DAMON: What vampire hasn’t?!?

An amused look appears on Alaric’s face.

ALARIC: Wait—Count Dracula? He’s real?

DAMON: A real tool!

ELIJAH: Nevertheless, an extremely powerful one. This is in part because of the extra power he already possessed when he was mortal.

ALARIC: He was a warlock?

ELIJAH: A very minor one, limited to a few parlour tricks. Once he became a vampire though, those skills became magnified as well. Someone as powerful as Maddox, however…

A worried look appears on Damon’s face.

DAMON: How much power are we talking about?

ELIJAH: Too much, Damon—too much to be controlled safely. That’s another reason why turning a witch isn’t a very good idea. If they’re not careful, they could be consumed by their own power.

DAMON: Why would Klaus risk turning them if it was that dangerous?

ELIJAH: You are forgetting one very important fact. That my brother is a completely insane megalomaniac.

DAMON: No argument here.

ELIJAH: He wants to create a new race of hybrids, Damon. Did you really think he would limit himself with part vampire, part werewolves? Greta and Maddox were merely the next step.

ALARIC: Why do they want Bonnie, though—even if they turned her into a witch-vampire hybrid, she wouldn’t help them!

ELIJAH: They don’t want her, just her power.

Damon’s eyes narrow.

DAMON: Not gonna happen.

Damon turns to leave.

ELIJAH: You’re not going anywhere. Bonnie will be rescued—your primary concern should be the girl.

Damon chuckles.

DAMON: Have you been following me?

Elijah shakes his head.

ELIJAH: She has.

Just then, a hand reaches out of the shadows and grabs Damon by the neck. It then throws him into the wall.

Damon stares in disbelief, as a familiar figure walks out of the shadows, smiling at him.

LEXI: Hello, Damon.

He gasps.

DAMON: Lexi?!?

*****

Matt drives down the street, still looking distraught at what just happened. He pulls to the side of the road, looking at the business card in his hand.

MATT: (muttering)Knew it was too good to be true.

Despite his words, however, Matt looks tempted. He pulls out his cell phone, his thumb on the keypad.

He dials.

CAROLINE: (on phone) Whoever this is, it’s really not a good time!

Matt takes a deep breath.

MATT: I just met Katherine.

The phone goes silent.

MATT: Officially, I mean.

CAROLINE: Oh my god—Matt, are you ok? Did she hurt you?

MATT: No, I—Elena was there, and she scared her off I think. Before that, though—she said something about threatening to kill me to make you do whatever she asked. I just—I wanted to say thanks. Thank you for trying to keep me safe.

CAROLINE: Matt, I—I really, really wish I had time for this right now. I promise we’ll talk real soon, but Bonnie’s just been abducted!

Matt’s eyes went wide.

MATT: What? By who?

CAROLINE: Something supernatural. I didn’t see their faces, but—but you said you didn’t want anything to do with this, right? We’re going to get her back, so don’t worry about it—ok?

Matt seems torn—not knowing whether to demand answers or stay out of it.

MATT: I—why would someone want to…?

CAROLINE: I’ll let you know when she’s safe.

With that, Caroline hangs up the phone. Matt sits there for a moment, lost in thought.

His eyes narrow, and he turns the car around.

*****

Back at the Grill…

ANNA: You’re a real piece of work, you know that?

Katherine looks up to see her and Elena.

KATHERINE: Anna—what a pleasant surprise. How’s your mom?

Her eyes narrow.

Standing nearby,, Dana gives Anna a surprised look.

DANA: Didn’t you move away a few months back? Oh—does Jeremy know you’re back in town?

Elena leads her away.

ELENA: Not now, Dana!

DANA: But…

Elena continues to lead her away, looking over her shoulder at the two vampires.

KATHERINE: So you two are working together now?

ANNA: At least I know this doppelganger won’t betray me the first chance she gets.

Katherine rolls her eyes.

KATHERINE: Would it help if I said I was sorry about Pearl? She was my friend, you know?

ANNA: Who you stabbed in the back!

KATHERINE: No—that was John.

ANNA: I’ve seen how you treat your ‘friends’, Katherine—are you really surprised they’re not welcoming you with open arms here.

Katherine doesn’t look happy at that remark.

KATHERINE: And yet, you’re part of the ‘gang’ now? What’s your secret, Annabelle?

Anna simply smiles.

ANNA: It bothers you, doesn’t it? As the person who turned most of them, you should be the head of this coven—but not a single one of them trusts you. They even made Elena their leader. Talk about a lack of respect.

Katherine scoffs.

KATHERINE: Respect is overrated.

ANNA: Consider this a friendly warning—if you want to stay here, you’ll play by their rules. You might be older, but they outnumber you and they have the humans on their side.

Katherine smirks.

KATHERINE: Exactly what am I doing that’s so wrong? A little misinformation never hurt anybody.

ANNA: Don’t play games with me, Katherine—I know you too well. You’ll attract more flies with honey than vinegar. Whatever it is you need them for, this isn’t the way to do it.

Katherine looks at her for a moment.

KATHERINE: Didn’t know you cared.

ANNA: I don’t! But the Salvatores are on the verge of an actual truce with the humans. I wouldn’t mind if it was given a chance to last. Don’t mess it up!

Katherine looks past her, towards Elena—who’s currently talking to Dana.

ELENA: She even went as far as trying to convince Stefan that I was her—after we had just spent the night together.

Dana gasps.

DANA: But—I don’t get it. Katherine said Stefan was…

ELENA: Stefan’s just trying to get on with his life. Katherine’s the person who won’t leave him alone—won’t leave us alone. You can’t trust anything she says.

DANA: She said the same thing about you, you know? That you were so paranoid that Stefan would go back to her that you started making things up.

Elena stares at her in disbelief.

ELENA: You don’t believe that, do you?

DANA: You have been acting kind of weird lately. Remember how freaked out you got when Klaus sent you those messages?

Elena freezes, a chill going up her spine.

ELENA: Did Katherine tell you Klaus was another of her old boyfriends?

Dana’s mouth falls open.

DANA: No!

ELENA: You should ask her about Klaus. I’m sure their sordid past is much more entertaining than her fixation on my boyfriend.

Dana smiles as the prospect, and then runs off.

Elena sees Katherine glaring at her, and grins.

*****

Matt’s car pulls up in front of the Gilbert house. He climbs out.

MATT: Elena!?!

However, as he approaches the front door, he notices Stefan’s car is also parked in the driveway. He takes a step back.

STEFAN: (weakly) Matt…

Matt looks to the side, where Stefan lies on the grass. He has two wooden stakes sticking out of him—one in his leg, and one in his side.

Carefully, Matt approaches him, looking horrified. Seeing Stefan looking so helpless unnerves him.

STEFAN: Matt, you’ve got to help me. Take this stake out, please.

Matt looks at him, coldly.

MATT: Why should I?

Stefan sighs, closing his eyes in defeat.

MATT: Where’s Bonnie?

STEFAN: They—took her. Got the drop on me—I tried to get away, but…

MATT: Who took her?!?

Stefan winces in pain.

MATT: ANSWER ME!!!

STEFAN: Greta Martin and Maddox. You remember—the guy from the tomb? The one who was holding Caroline and Tyler?

MATT: The guy I shot? I thought he was dead.

STEFAN: He was. He’s a vampire now…

Matt runs his fingers through his hair, looking as though he’s having a panic attack.

MATT: I need to call the sheriff…

STEFAN: She already knows, Matt! Bonnie was with Sheriff Forbes when they took her. They were using Caroline’s mother as bait, and I fell for it!

He winces again.

MATT: What are they going to do to her.

STEFAN: They want to steal Bonnie’s powers—and then they’re going to kill her!

A horrified look fills Matt’s face.

MATT: No!

STEFAN: I can stop this, Matt, but you have to help me!

Matt shakes his head violently

MATT: I—I can’t! You’re not…you’re too dangerous…

Stefan looks at him pleadingly.

STEFAN: You’re right, Matt—you’re right not to trust me. I am dangerous! I’ve hurt people, even without meaning to. I’ve even hurt Elena—and I will never forgive myself for it.

Matt simply stands there, listening to his confession with an unreadable expression..

STEFAN: But the people who have Bonnie are worse than me—a lot worse, Matt. They have no compassion, no pity…not even when they were human, so you can just imagine what they’re like as vampires. They will kill her without a second thought, and right now I am the only hope she has.

MATT: How do I know you’re not lying to me? You lied to me for an entire year, Stefan! You killed my sister! How can…

STEFAN: I know you hate me, Matt. I don’t blame you for that. You have every right to want me dead!

Matt turns away, refusing to even look at him.

STEFAN: I’m not asking you not to hate me. But please—you have to trust me, before anyone else dies.

Matt turns back towards him.

MATT: I’m a lot of things. But, you know—one thing I’m not is a murderer.

With that, he yanks the stake out of Stefan’s side.

MATT: And if I just left you here, and Bonnie died because of it—it’d be like I killed her myself. I won’t let that happen!

He removes the second stake, and Stefan stands up. Matt watches in amazement as the wounds heal instantly.

MATT: Man…

Stefan takes a step towards him, as Matt takes a step back.

STEFAN: Matt—thank you.

Stefan picks up a discarded stake and heads towards his car.

MATT: I’m coming with you!

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: Too dangerous. I’m not going to let you risk your life.

MATT: Hey!

Matt grabs Stefan by the shoulder, turning him around.

MATT: If it wasn’t for me, you’d still be lying there! If I was good enough to help you then, I’m good enough to help save Bonnie!

Stefan nods, reluctantly.

STEFAN: Let’s go!

*****

Alaric’s former apartment…

ALARIC: Wait—Lexi? As in Stefan’s dead vampire friend Lexi?

Still holding Damon by the neck, Lexi turns to Alaric and smiles.

ELIJAH: Your reputation precedes you, it seems.

LEXI: You’re a teacher, right? I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase ‘the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated’?

ALARIC: History teacher, actually.

LEXI: And part-time vampire hunter, from what I’ve heard. You’re a regular renaissance man, Mr. Saltzman. And take it from someone who was around during the renaissance.

Damon shakes his head, still refusing to believe his eyes.

DAMON: (gasping) Impossible—I killed you! I drove the stake through your heart myself!

Lexi smirks at him.

LEXI: Haven’t you learned by now, Damon? It takes a lot more than a stake through the heart to kill an Original!

Damon’s eyes practically bulge out of their sockets. After the initial shock passes, he begins to laugh.

DAMON: You’re an original?

LEXI: Bingo!

DAMON: Should have known—you definitely have the arrogance.

LEXI: And I see your recent change of heart hasn’t improved your manners any.

She drops him on the floor.

ALARIC: Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you tell Elena that only your immediate family became the original vampires. Wouldn’t that make her…?

Elijah nods.

ELIJAH: Damon, Ric—allow me to introduce my younger sister, Alexis. Better known to you as ‘Lexi’, from what I’ve heard.

Damon climbs to his feet, glaring daggers at Lexi.

DAMON: And I suppose you don’t know anything about the guy who tried to parboil me?

LEXI: You mean Lee? He was never going to actually kill you Damon—just make you think he was.

DAMON: Seemed a little too convincing from what I remember.

She smiles.

LEXI: Want to know how I pulled it off? Just like this—don’t move until I tell you to!

As she speaks, Damon finds himself frozen in place.

ALARIC: Damon!

Lexi looks at Alaric.

LEXI: Relax, I’m not going to hurt him. I’m just stopping him from doing anything stupid—he did try to kill me the last time we saw each other.

ELIJAH: He did it to me, too—twice. It’s an annoying habit.

LEXI: This is how I got Lee to play his part. He was completely convinced that you killed his vampire girlfriend, who was safe and sound the entire time. He was always supposed to change his mind at the last minute.

Damon scoffs.

DAMON: I’d applaud if, you know—I could!

Just then, Damon’s cell phone rings. Lexi pulls his from his pocket, and then hands it to Elijah.

LEXI: It’s Stefan. Probably about our witch hybrids.

ELIJAH: Maybe I should intervene?

She shakes her head.

LEXI: Stefan can save her—I have faith in him.

Damon snarls.

DAMON: You lousy, rotten, two-faced…

Lexi stares into his eyes.

LEXI: Quiet.

Damon goes silent.

ELIJAH: Ric, maybe you should lend Stefan a hand? Let him know that the two of them can’t use their full powers safely.

Alaric looks towards Damon.

ELIJAH: He’ll be fine. We just have a small task for him to perform first.

Damon nods, looking towards the door…letting Alaric know it’s ok for him to leave.

He does.

LEXI: Now, I’ve got a little job for you to do, Damon. Once you do this, you’re free to go.

Damon continues to glare at her.

LEXI: That girl, Meredith—something’s wrong with her, as you’ve probably figured out yourself. Unfortunately, neither of us is sure exactly what is wrong with her. That’s where you come in…

Lexi takes a step closer to Damon.

LEXI: I want you do provoke her.

*****

The boarding house…

Jeremy runs through the front door, where he finds Caroline, Liz, and Vicki.

JEREMY: Hey, has anyone seen Bonnie? Something really weird just happened, and…

LIZ: Someone took her.

A horrified look appears on Jeremy’s face.

JEREMY: (whispering) No…

CAROLINE: We’ve been trying to get a hold of Damon and Stefan, but so far nothing.

An angry looks appears on Jeremy’s face.

JEREMY: Then what are we sitting around here for? You should have called me!

LIZ: Jeremy, listen…

JEREMY: No, you listen! They pulled the same thing when Klaus grabbed Jenna. I’m not gonna sit on the sidelines while someone else that I love dies!

Behind him, a look of remorse fills Vicki’s face.

CAROLINE: I’m a vampire, and whoever this was got the drop on me, Jeremy—what do you think you can do?

JEREMY: I don’t know—something!

Caroline crosses her arms, standing in front of him.

CAROLINE: Sorry—but I know Bonnie would rather you be safe.

Jeremy glares at her, trying to circle around.

CAROLINE: You can’t get past me.

VICKI: I can.

Before either Caroline or the Sheriff can react, Vicki appears behind Jeremy, grabs him, and darts out the door.

CAROLINE: Hey!

Caroline considers giving chase, but then turns to her mom.

CAROLINE: Great! Just great—now everyone’s gone off on their own.

Liz sighs.

LIZ: Did you bring your car?

CAROLINE: Yeah. Why?

LIZ: Because mine was blown up. I need a ride to the station…

Just then, Alaric walks in.

ALARIC: Where’s Stefan?

LIZ: Where’s Damon?

ALARIC: You’d rather not know—but I heard about what happened to Bonnie. I need to talk to Stefan.

Caroline shrugs.

CAROLINE: Search me. Everyone’s gone AWOL—I just hope that, wherever they are, it has to do with rescuing Bonnie.

ALARIC: I know who has her—Greta and Maddox.

Caroline’s eyes go wide.

LIZ: There’s two of them then?

CAROLINE: Ok…one, they’re both dead! And two, the guy that grabbed Bonnie was a vampire, not a witch.

ALARIC: Apparently Klaus had them on a steady diet of vampire blood, just in case.

CAROLINE: Are you freaking kidding me? We have witchpires now?!?

LIZ: That would explain how he was able to throw us around like that.

ALARIC: From what I heard, though, their powers are unstable. The transition increased their magic beyond their ability to control it—if either of them use too much, they’ll burn themselves out.

Caroline’s phone rings. She groans in frustration, picking it up.

CAROLINE: It’s Matt.

Caroline puts the phone to her ear.

CAROLINE: You know, for someone who wants to stay out of it…

STEFAN: (on phone) Caroline, it’s me!

Her eyes go wide.

CAROLINE: Stefan, where have you been?!? Bonnie, she’s…

STEFAN: (on phone) I know. Greta got the drop on me. Have you managed to get in touch with Damon?

CAROLINE: (bitterly) Apparently he’s preoccupied. Oh, but Ric’s here—he says that the witchpires can’t use their full power without going poof!

STEFAN: (on phone) That must be why they want Bonnie’s powers. The strength of five hundred witches would potentially help stabilize it.

CAROLINE: Can they do that?

STEFAN: (on phone) Not without performing some kind of ritual. A site of immense power—like where they were originally burned.

CAROLINE: We’ll check it out. Uh—what are you doing with Matt’s phone?

*****

Stefan looks at Matt, who’s seated in the passenger side of his car as they drive down the road.

STEFAN: He’s here with me. He wants to help.

CAROLINE: (on phone) Him and Jeremy should form a club. He just ran off with Vicki—I tried to stop them, but…

STEFAN: It’s ok. Look, I’m going to check out Fell’s Church—let me know if you find anything. If you hear from Damon, tell him where I’m headed.

Stefan hangs up.

MATT: That was Caroline?

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: She worries about you.

Matt doesn’t reply.

STEFAN: It’s not too late to back out.

MATT: No, it’s just—why do they want Bonnie’s powers so badly if they’re strong enough to take you out? What do they want?

STEFAN: They want to free Klaus.

Matt looks at him.

MATT: Who’s Klaus?

STEFAN: Klaus is an Original—one of the first vampires.

Matt’s eyes go wide.

MATT: Ever?

STEFAN: Ever. There’s seven of them altogether, but Klaus is different—his father was a werewolf, which makes him a hybrid of the two species. He’s obsessed with creating an entire race of creatures like himself. He’ll do anything to get what he wants. He forced Elena’s biological mother to commit suicide. He murdered Jenna, and tried to do the same to Tyler and Caroline. He tried to turn me back into a monster—and I’m not completely sure he didn’t succeed.

MATT: So the way you were acting yesterday—that was because of Klaus?

A dark look enters Stefan’s eyes.

STEFAN: No—all he did was instigate it. I’m different than most vampires, Matt—I don’t have any self-control. The only way I was ever able to control myself was by swearing off human blood altogether.

MATT: It’s that hard?

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: Sometimes. It helps when I have a reason to keep fighting.

Stefan doesn’t elaborate. He doesn’t have to—the tone of his voice is enough for Matt to realize just who he’s referring to.

At that moment, another phone rings.

MATT: Maybe it’s your brother? Maybe he’s found something?

Stefan tenses.

STEFAN: Not on that phone…

He pulls over to the side of the road, and pulls out the phone—the one he had found with Liz that afternoon.

MATT: What does it say?

Stefan stares at the message, confused.

Stefan,
A second sacrifice is going to be attempted.
You might want to prevent it this time.

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: But why would they—unless…unless Greta and Maddox didn’t leave this for me.

MATT: A second sacrifice? What does that mean?

Stefan gasps, turning to Matt.

STEFAN: I know where they took her!

*****

The woods…

JEREMY: Just stand over there, ok?

Vicki nods. Jeremy holds the old pocket watch out in front of him, letting it point the way.

VICKI: Where did you get a vampire-detecting compass?

JEREMY: Family heirloom. Bonnie’s ancestor made a bunch of supernatural gadgets for one of my ancestors. He convinced himself he invented it all. It belonged to my dad, and now it belongs to me.

He puts it away.

JEREMY: Thanks, by the way. For taking my side.

VICKI: Somebody had to. I know they’re just trying to protect you, but…

JEREMY: They treat me like a kid. I hate being treated like a kid!

She smiles.

VICKI: Glad to see some things never change.

They walk farther.

VICKI: You’re human, though.

JEREMY: So’s Elena, and Alaric—but whenever something goes down, no one stops them from getting involved. I’ve got my ring—there’s nothing that can hurt me.

VICKI: Wasn’t it you almost dying that brought me back in the first place, Jeremy? That ring—it doesn’t make you invincible!

Jeremy pulls his other hand out of his pocket, letting Vicki see the burn marks.

JEREMY: Yeah, I get that.

Vicki gasps.

VICKI: Your hand…

JEREMY: I don’t even know how it happened. One minute I’m talking to Tyler, the next it’s like my hand was on fire. But there were no flames around—I think it might be some kind of magic thing. It happened around the same time Bonnie was kidnapped…

VICKI: (quietly) Exactly when she was kidnapped?

Jeremy looks at her, confused.

JEREMY: I guess it could have been—why?

Vicki shows Jeremy her own hand, which has the exact same burn marks. They’re completely identical.

VICKI: I—tried to save her, but the sun was still out. Caroline pulled me away from the door so the only thing that burned was my hand.

Jeremy stares at her hand in shock.

JEREMY: What—how…?

VICKI: I don’t know. It’s like we’re—connected or something. Have you ever seen anything like this?

A sudden recollection hits Jeremy.

JEREMY: Actually—yeah, I have.

Vicki raises an eyebrow.

JEREMY: Awhile back, Stefan put together a plan to take down Katherine. Things were going great, until another witch that was working with Katherine cast some kind of spell. It made it so whatever happened to Katherine happened to Elena, too. Katherine got stabbed, and the same injury happened to Elena.

VICKI: What would have happened if they had killed her?

Jeremy went pale.

JEREMY: Just—just don’t tell anybody about this, ok?

Vicki nods in agreement.

She turns around, smelling the air.

VICKI: Something’s burning. It might be a campfire, or…

The two of them peer through the trees.

JEREMY: (whispering) Definitely not a campfire…

It’s the clearing where the sacrifice took place. As before, the three rings of flame are lit. In the center of the three rings lies a large stone slab—with Bonnie chained atop it.

*****

Meanwhile, back in Mystic Falls…

Elena exits the Grill with Anna, looking quite proud of herself.

ANNA: Do you think that was a good idea? Antagonizing her like that?

ELENA: Probably not—but did you see the look on her face?

Anna laughs.

ANNA: Don’t get me wrong. I love seeing Katherine taken down a peg, but at the moment all she’s doing is spreading gossip. I would be very careful not to get her too angry. People tend to die when that happens.

A worried look crosses Elena’s face.

ELENA: Have you seen Dana?

Anna groans.

ANNA: Unfortunately, I see her right now.

Dana walks in between them.

DANA: So, you’ve got to tell me what Paris was like.

ANNA: Uh—Paris?

DANA: Yeah, that’s where Jeremy said you went. Tell me everything!

Anna sighs.

She looks back towards Elena, hoping for help, only to find her gone.

ANNA: Elena?

DANA: Oh, Katherine wanted to talk to her in private. Said they had some issues to deal with—siblings, right?

A look of panic fills Anna’s eyes.

*****

On the roof…

Elena stumbles away as Katherine finally lets go of her arm.

KATHERINE: You think you’re clever, don’t you Elena? Trying to beat me at my own game?

Elena backs away, nervously.

ELENA: I didn’t exactly lie, you know?

Katherine smirks.

KATHERINE: Touché. Bringing up Klaus is breaking the rules, though.

ELENA: So spreading rumours about my boyfriend is ok, but your stalker is off-limits?

Elena makes a point to emphasize the word ‘boyfriend’. It achieves the desired effect, as Katherine is visibly agitated by it.

KATHERINE: I’m sure Stefan doesn’t need you to defend his honour.

ELENA: What he needs if for you to leave him alone!

Katherine shakes her head.

KATHERINE: Listen to you—so sure you know him completely.

Before Elena can react, Katherine reaches out a tears the scarf off her neck. Elena moves to cover the bite mark, but Katherine grabs her wrist—preventing her.

KATHERINE: Now, what might this be…hmm?

Katherine circles around her like a predator.

KATHERINE: Stefan’s been indulging.

Elena glares at her.

ELENA: It was an accident.

Katherine laughs.

KATHERINE: Is that what you think? Or is it what he thinks? Either way, you’re both deluding yourselves. You want to know what really happened?

Katherine moves behind her.

KATHERINE: For a moment, Stefan gave in to those instincts he’s always denying, and just took what he wanted. That’s what we are, Elena—you should accept that.

ELENA: You’re wrong.

Katherine smiles.

KATHERINE: If you really loved him, you would want him to be happy.

Elena stares at her in disbelief.

ELENA: If you believe for a second that feeding on me made Stefan happy, then you don’t know him at all!

Katherine shrugs.

KATHERINE: Whatever helps you sleep at night? Oh, but there’s one thing I do know, Elena—those neck wounds take a long time to heal.

Suddenly, Katherine grabs Elena by the neck, forcing her towards the edge of the roof.

ELENA: No!

Katherine grins maliciously.

KATHERINE: Judging by the look of it, something hurried the process along, didn’t it? Were you curious, Elena? Did Stefan force you to drink his blood, or did you do it willingly?

Elena struggles to get away, but Katherine’s grip is like a vice.

KATHERINE: Maybe you would understand our nature better if you experienced it first-hand.

ELENA: (gasping) Don’t...

Katherine leans in close to Elena’s ear.

KATHERINE: (whispering) Beg me.

Elena closes her eyes in defeat.

ELENA: Please don’t.

Katherine smirks.

KATHERINE: Please don’t what?

ELENA: Please…don’t turn me.

Katherine shrugs.

KATHERINE: Ok.

With that, she moves away from the edge of the building and lets Elena go.

Elena stares at her in surprise.

KATHERINE: See, I can be reasonable.

ELENA: What—do—you—want?

Katherine smiles.

KATHERINE: Everything you have, Elena. I’ve been on the run for five centuries. Now, I want a life of my own. Yours seems good enough, so either you share it—or I will take it from you.

Elena looks at her, confused.

ELENA: What do you mean ‘share it’?

KATHERINE: We don’t have to be enemies, Elena. I could make your life much easier—or I could make it a living hell! The choice is up to you.

Elena’s eyes narrow.

ELENA: And what about Stefan?

Katherine rolls her eyes.

KATHERINE: Stefan has made his choice quite clear. Besides—like I told his brother, not everything is about Stefan.

ELENA: Then what is it about? Why are you doing this?

Katherine looks at her, considering for a moment.

KATHERINE: I wanted to understand you. To see if I could figure out why we’re so different.

Elena wait for her to continue.

KATHERINE: At first I thought it was because you were still human, but then when you were faced with the same choice I was, you didn’t take my way out. You actually went to great lengths to keep yourself human.

ELENA: You almost sound disappointed.

KATHERINE: Everyone tried to save you, Elena. People were lined up to sacrifice themselves for your behalf. But when it was my life on the line I had to trick them into it.

An angry look crosses her face.

KATHERINE: What makes you so special that everyone wants to save you? I had as much reason to live as you, but no one ever tried to help me!

Elena almost seems offended by her words.

ELENA: Did you ever even bother to ask for help?

Katherine pauses.

ELENA: Everyone who’s ever met you has told me the same things. That you hurt them, that you betrayed them—that they thought they loved you, when all you really cared about was yourself. Stefan, Damon, Mason, Elijah—any of them would have laid down their lives for you if you had only trusted them with the truth! But you’ve burned every single bridge that’s ever been open to you.

KATHERINE: I did what I had to in order to survive.

ELENA: Is that the only thing that matters to you? Survival?

Katherine doesn’t answer, but her stone-cold face answers for her.

ELENA: Then that’s why we’re different. Because I would rather die than live a life that empty.

For a moment, Elena sees a strange look in Katherine’s eyes. Something resembling regret.

KATHERINE: The funny thing about running away—I didn’t realize how long it would take when I started. I assumed that Klaus would just cut his losses and move on. I didn’t…I thought I could just go back once it was over.

ELENA: To your family?

Katherine nods.

KATHERINE: Even if someone had escaped, they would be long dead by now. That’s why I’m here, Elena. Because, as much as you infuriate me—you’re the only family I have left.

Katherine gives an ironic laugh.

KATHERINE: And you hate me more than anyone.

Elena’s face softens.

ELENA: I don’t hate you, Katherine.

Katherine stares at her in surprise.

ELENA: I hate the things you’ve done—to Stefan, to Damon, and anyone else that’s crossed your path, but I can’t bring myself to hate someone who’ve let their fear consume them like you have. If anything, I pity you.

Katherine’s face falls.

ELENA: You really don’t trust anyone, do you? And that’s why you’re always going to be alone. I just find that tragic.

Katherine seems to struggle internally for a moment, but then her anger wins out. She glares at Elena—grabbing her by the neck.

KATHERINE: I don’t want your pity, Elena!

She lets her go, turning to walk away.

KATHERINE: Or need it!

With that, she vanishes into the night. Anna suddenly appears behind Elena, helping her up.

ANNA: Are you ok?

Elena nods.

ANNA: Did Katherine hurt you?

Elena shakes her head.

ELENA: No. She, uh—she let me go.

Anna raises an eyebrow.

ANNA: Why?

Elena pauses.

ELENA: I…don’t know.

*****

Bonnie’s eyes open slowly, as she becomes aware of her surroundings. The flaming circles, the stone table beneath her, the chains holding her in place.

Bonnie tries to concentrate, but the chains won’t even budge.

GRETA: They’re made of solid iron.

Bonnie gasps, staring at the vampire standing over her.

GRETA: Another piece of misinformation. It won’t poison you like the myths say, but your powers can’t effect it.

BONNIE: Greta? How? I thought…

GRETA: Your little pet vampire killed me? He did—and I’ve been reborn.

She moves closer to Bonnie at super-speed.

BONNIE: You’re a vampire?

GRETA: I’m a hybrid, just like my master. Since you helped capture him, it’s fitting that you be the one to help me set him free.

BONNIE: I don’t know where Klaus is. Elijah didn’t tell any of us.

GRETA: I don’t need you, Bonnie—just your power.

MADDOX: Hurry it up! I’m getting thirsty.

Bonnie stares at the two of them in horror.

GRETA: We made a deal, Bonnie. I get your powers, and Maddox gets your blood.

Bonnie struggles.

BONNIE: Greta, listen to me—you don’t have to do this! Think of your father, your brother…

GRETA: They betrayed me. And…

Her face lights up as she looks in Bonnie’s eyes.

GRETA: He’s in there, isn’t he? He passed his power on to you before he died.

She laughs.

GRETA: I hope you can hear this, daddy—because this is where you finally help me get what I want.

The light of the moon hits the podium, as it’s surrounded by a blue flame. Greta holds her hand out.

GRETA: Now—you will give your power to me!

Bonnie clamps her eyes shut, as voices whisper in her ears.

SPLASH!!!

The both of them are doused with water. Greta turns around to see Vicki standing there with an empty bucket, while Jeremy points a crossbow at them.

VICKI: Can’t believe that worked.

JEREMY: Let her go!

Bonnie’s eyes go wide.

BONNIE: Jeremy—RUN!

Maddox appears behind them. He grabs Jeremy, his fangs appearing…

…only to be stabbed through the shoulder by a wooden stake fired from Jeremy’s wrist. It’s not enough, though, and Maddox tosses him into a nearby tree.

MADDOX: Looks like we’re both eating tonight after all!

Vicki’s face transforms as she roars with fury—leaping on Maddox.

VICKI: STAY AWAY FROM HIM!!!!

Maddox tries to push her away, but she’s too strong—too savage. Vicki places both hands above his neck, trying to twist his head off.

Maddox’s eyes narrow, and suddenly Vicki howls in pain—grasping her head.

MADDOX: Get—away…!

He waves his hand, and Vicki flies off into the bush.

GRETA: Maddox, you idiot—what did I tell you? No magic!

MADDOX: She was going to tear my head off!

GRETA: Not without the amulet! And especially not here—you channel this much power, it’ll blow us to the moon!

MADDOX: Just hurry it up! There’s no telling how long it’ll take the girl to get back here with reinforcements!

GRETA: Relight the fire—and for Klaus’ sake, uses matches!

Before he gets the chance, they’re interrupted by the sound of squealing tires. Stefan’s car appears from the opposite end of the woods, heading straight towards them.

It tears through the three circles of flame, scattering the dirt as it spins to the side. Once the car comes to a stop, Stefan leans out the driver-side window—pointing a rifle.

STEFAN: Hi.

BANG!

He shoots a wooden bullet right into Maddox’s head. He falls to the ground.

Stefan exits the car, facing down Greta.

STEFAN: I’m here for Bonnie. Let her go…

Greta reaches over towards Bonnie’s neck.

GRETA: Drop the gun, or she dies!

STEFAN: If you already had her power, you would be setting me on fire by now.

Greta’s face transforms, and she lunges at Stefan. The impact causes Stefan to drop the gun.

GRETA: Klaus will forgive me for killing you, Salvatore!

She grabs one of the arrows from Jeremy’s dropped crossbow and tries to stab Stefan with it. Stefan catches it, and reduces it into splinters.

STEFAN: Hybrid or not, I’m still older—which means I’m stronger!

Stefan throws her off him, and rushes to Jeremy’s side.

STEFAN: You ok?

Jeremy groans.

JEREMY: I’m fine—help Bonnie!

At that moment, Maddox rises to his feet, pulling the bullet out of his forehead.

MADDOX: Again—with the wooden bullets?

Stefan’s face transforms.

STEFAN: Jeremy, grab the weapons…

Stefan charges at the two of them, kicking Greta and grabbing Maddox around the throat simultaneously. He’s actively fighting both of them at the same time.

Jeremy grabs the gun in one hand, and the crossbow with the other. He tries to aim, but can’t get a clear shot with Stefan in the way.

Bonnie simply watches the fight in horror.

MATT: Pst. Hey, Bonnie?

She turns to the side, seeing Matt kneeling on the other side of the stone table. He has a large rock in his hand, trying to break one of the chains.

BONNIE: (whispering) Matt?!? What are you doing here?

MATT: (whispering) Rescuing you. Thank me later.

Meanwhile, Stefan continues fighting both hybrids.

STEFAN: Just give up! I’m stronger than the both of you put together—why do you think Klaus picked me? Without magic, you don’t stand a chance.

Maddox raises his hand.

MADDOX: Is that so?

Maddox raises his hand, and the remaining flames on the ground spring to life, heading towards Stefan.

Stefan dives behind the car, narrowly missing being burned.

GRETA: Maddox, don’t!

Maddox glares at her.

MADDOX: I’m not going to hold back and let myself be killed again! I’ll do whatever it takes!

GRETA: Klaus said…

MADDOX: He abandoned us! Do you really think he cares?

Jeremy points his crossbow and shoots, but the arrow stops in mid-air. Maddox waves his finger at him.

Then the arrow flies back, pinning the corner of his jacket to the tree.

MADDOX: You’re a brave one, aren’t you? Or stupid.

He advances towards Jeremy. Before he can get far, Matt rolls out from behind the stone table, and grabs the gun.

He fires, sinking three wooden bullets into Maddox’s back.

However, Maddox doesn’t fall. He turns towards Matt, his eyes exploding with fury.

MADDOX: YOU!!!

MATT: Remember me, huh? Maybe you didn’t get the message the last time I shot you?

Matt fires again, causing Maddox to stagger.

MATT: Do—not—mess—with—my—FRIENDS!

Maddox raises his hand, causing the bullets to freeze in mid-air. As he does this, however, he notices lines forming on his hand.

They look similar to the black veins that usually appear around a vampire’s eyes when they transform, only glowing—resembling the lava-filled fissures at the base of a volcano.

MADDOX: What the—

Freeing himself, Jeremy drives the arrow that was holding him to the tree in Maddox’s back. Maddox backhands him.

MADDOX: I’m not—going to be—staked by two human punks!

STEFAN: Matt, Jeremy—down!

Both boys dive to the side as Stefan’s car flies through the air—heading straight towards Maddox. However, Maddox catches it with his powers.

As he does, the glowing veins start to spread more.

JEREMY: What’s happening to him?

MATT: This must be what Mr. Saltzman was talking about. Magic and vampire-powers don’t mix—his body can’t handle it.

Stefan races towards Maddox, only to be knocked to the ground by Greta.

GRETA: Traitor!

STEFAN: You’re the one who was betrayed—but not by me! We didn’t stop Klaus the night you died—he escaped!

She stares at Stefan in disbelief.

STEFAN: He didn’t come back for you, because he didn’t want you! You were just another pawn to Klaus.

GRETA: LIAR!

STEFAN: He was going to leave town with me, Greta. He never gave you a second thought!

Stefan flipped her over, his hand holding her neck.

STEFAN: Tell me—was it worth it? Was it worth dying for someone like that?

Maddox grins, as he tosses the car back towards Matt and Jeremy. They’re snatched out of the way just in time, as Caroline appears.

CAROLINE: Is it really too much to ask that you two stay out of danger? Oh, and was that Stefan’s car that just got smashed?

Matt’s eyes go wide.

MATT: What are you doing here?

CAROLINE: I could ask you the same thing. One minute you’re all ‘oh, it’s too much for me to handle’ and the next you’re going Charles Bronson on some out-of-control witchpire? Make up your mind, already!

MADDOX: If you have any last things to say to each other, now would be the time to do it!

Maddox levitates into the air, the glowing veins now covering his entire body.

CAROLINE: Ok—this is bad!

JEREMY: (muttering) Damon, if you’re hiding somewhere waiting for the right moment, now would be the time.

Matt looks back towards the stone table and sighs in relief.

MATT: Was that enough time?

Maddox raises and eyebrow.

MADDOX: For what?

BONNIE: To recharge.

His eyes go wide as he sees Bonnie—free and not looking very happy. Maddox raises his hand towards her, shooting out bolts of electricity.

Bonnie simply bats them aside.

BONNIE: What was that you said? About taking my blood?

Maddox holds his head in pain, as he stumbles to the ground. As he does, he starts to glow even more.

MATT: Whatever you’re doing, Bonnie—cut it out!

Bonnie shakes her head.

BONNIE: I’m not doing this—this must be why Greta told him not to use his powers. His own body is rebelling against him.

STEFAN: Bonnie, I’ve got this—take care of Greta!

Stefan races past them, grabbing the length of broken chain from atop the stone table. Maddox rises to his feet, hissing at him. The fiery veins seem to blaze brighter with each action.

Stefan holds the chain, swinging it into a circular pattern. He throws one end towards Maddox.

It misses, wrapping around the tree. Maddox laughs.

MADDOX: Missed!

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: Nope.

Holding the other end of the chain, Stefan circles around Maddox—trying the chain around his neck.

A few feet away, Greta climbs to her feet as Bonnie slowly approaches her.

BONNIE: Do you see what’s happening to your friend there? That’s what your future holds, Greta—not a pretty sight, is it?

Greta hisses at her, and prepares to attack. However, she soon finds herself held in the air—unable to move.

BONNIE: You helped Klaus to kill three people—maybe even more that I don’t know about. By allowing you to live, I would be upsetting the balance of nature. I should kill you…but I won’t. They have something much different planned for you.

Bonnie closes her eyes and grabs the sides of Greta’s face. The hybrid vampire screams, as a blast of energy hits her.

Bonnie lets her fall to the ground.

GRETA: What—what did you do? This power…

BONNIE: Familiar, isn’t it? Not exactly what you were after, but it should be enough to stabilize you.

Greta shakes her head.

GRETA: No! Take it back!

Bonnie smiles.

BONNIE: I made a promise. This is me holding up my side of the bargain. Now leave—and if I ever see you again, I’ll burn you to a cinder.

Greta glares at her, but then sees Maddox struggling to free himself from the chain around his neck.

Without another word, she vanishes into the woods.

Stefan holds the chain tight, as Maddox’s cracked skin starts to glow even brighter.

CAROLINE: What happens to us if he blows up? Or do I want to know?

Maddox tries to focus his power, but he can’t—the iron chains are blocking him. The only result is him becoming more and more unstable.

MADDOX: You fool—you’d side with them against your own kind?

Stefan growls.

STEFAN: I am nothing like you!

Stefan tightens the chain. Caroline tries to lure Jeremy and Matt away, but Matt just continues to stare at the two vampires.

MADDOX: Look at him! He’s afraid of you! They all are! Why bother to protect people who will never see you as anything more than a monster? They’ll never trust you!

BONNIE: Stefan! Get out of there!!!

Stefan grips the chain with both hands.

STEFAN: Because they believe in me!

Moving at vampire speed, Stefan gives one last tug on the chain—and slices Maddox’s head clean off.

STEFAN: And, no matter what, I believe in them.

The veins on Maddox’s body go dark, as it topples to the ground. A second later, it crumbles into dust—carried away by the wind.

The others all gather around Stefan, shocked expressions on their faces.

MATT: He—he just crumbled into dust?

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: Maddox used too much magic—he completely burned himself out.

Bonnie cringes.

BONNIE: Not that I was even considering it, but if I ever entertain the notion of going vampire—please, god, talk me out of it!

Caroline laughs. Jeremy hugs her.

Bonnie then turns to Matt, and hugs him as well.

BONNIE: Thank you, Matt. I mean it—I owe you my life.

Matt hugs her back.

MATT: I couldn’t let them just kill you. I mean—you’re my friend, right?

Bonnie nods at him, smiling. He then turns to Stefan.

MATT: And, uh—that was kind of awesome. What you did there, I mean. Both of you. You were like some kind of superheroes or something.

Stefan raises an eyebrow.

CAROLINE: Hey, what about me? I did the whole car-rescue thing!

Bonnie sighs.

BONNIE: Sorry about your car, Stefan.

Stefan shrugs.

STEFAN: Cars can be replaced—people can’t. What did you do to Greta to make her leave like that?

Bonnie smiles.

BONNIE: You remember how, right before Doctor Martin died, he gave me my powers back? He did more than that, Stefan—he gave me his own powers as well. I didn’t have the power of five hundred dead witches—it was five hundred and one.

STEFAN: You gave Greta her father’s powers?

BONNIE: Not only that—his spirit as well. He’ll be able to communicate with her, just like how Emily communicates with me. All Dr. Martin wanted was to save his daughter from Klaus, and now he has the chance to do just that. Just not in the way he thought.

Stefan shakes his head in amazement.

STEFAN: I wish I had as much faith as you do.

BONNIE: Maybe you should start by having faith in yourself, Stefan. All things considered—a lot of people do believe in you.

Stefan looks down.

STEFAN: There are some times I don’t think I’ve earned that trust.

BONNIE: You did today.

Matt stands to the side, watching the scene—wondering just how wrong he’s been about everything.

*****
*

The Grill…

SERVER: Hey, Meredith? The usual?

Meredith sits down at the table. As she does, she notices Damon sitting at the bar—staring at her with his piercing blue eyes.

MEREDITH: Actually—could you make it to go?

The server nods, and takes off. Damon gives her a predatory smile, causing her to shiver.

A moment later, she’s exiting the Grill looking over her shoulder. Damon is following her, keeping his distance—but not enough so that she doesn’t notice him.

She starts walking faster, rounding a corner—panting for breath.

DAMON: Hello.

Meredith jumps, seeing Damon standing right next to her.

MEREDITH: What—what is your problem, Damon? Are you trying to freak me out?

DAMON: Yes.

She wrinkles her nose.

MEREDITH: Weren’t you the one who suggested I keep my distance.

DAMON: Yes.

MEREDITH: If this is about the backup—I lied! There’s no backup! You destroyed my only copy of that footage, so if you’d just excuse me…

Damon moves to the side, blocking her path.

DAMON: Somehow I don’t believe you. Even if I did, it wouldn’t matter—I know what I have to do.

Meredith starts to get nervous.

DAMON: I was doing so well, you know? Trying to be good, trying to be nice—but, of course, when anyone needs some dirty work done, I’m the one they go to.

Damon grabs her, throwing her roughly to the ground.

MEREDITH: What are you…?

DAMON: You remember what happened that night, don’t you? Your memories are coming back—I don’t know why, but they are!

MEREDITH: Stop it! Leave me alone!

Damon lifts her up, pushing her against the wall.

DAMON: Remember how it felt—how those fangs ripped through your neck. How much it hurt! How scared you were—COME ON!

Meredith closes her eyes, shaking her head.

MEREDITH: (crying)Why are you doing this?

Damon hesitates for a moment, fighting against the urge.

DAMON: I’m sorry—I don’t want to, but I—I don’t have a choice!

Meredith struggles, but it’s no good.

MEREDITH: Please—I swear, I won’t tell anybody what I know.

DAMON: You don’t know anything! Tell me about the attack!

MEREDITH: I don’t know—I don’t know what attacked me!

She gasps, as Damon’s face changes before her very eyes. His eyes bleed red, black veins form around his eyes—and sharp fangs grow out of his mouth.

DAMON: Not what—who! Who attacked you, Meredith?

Meredith stares at him in horror.

DAMON: WHO ATTACKED YOU?!?

At that moment, a face not unlike Damon’s flashes through her mind—the face of the creature that had very nearly killed her. Another face—Stefan’s—appears over it.

She makes the connection.

MEREDITH: (whispering) Stefan…

DAMON: Louder…

MEREDITH: I said Stefan attacked me!

Damon lets her go, his red eyes boring into hers.

MEREDITH: You—what are you people?!?

DAMON: Isn’t it obvious?

He takes a step closer.

DAMON: I’m a vampire!

He tears off Meredith’s bandage, and leans in…

MEREDITH: GET AWAY!!!

She pushes Damon—causing him to go flying into the side of the dumpster. He hits it so hard that it makes a dent.

Meredith stares at her hand in shock.

MEREDITH: How…?

Damon sits up, his face returning to normal—staring at her in disbelief.

MEREDITH: How did I do that?

DAMON: That’s what I’d like to know!

Damon rushes towards her. However, from Meredith’s point of view, he’s moving in slow motion. She’s able to catch his wrist as he tries to grab her, twisting it.

DAMON: Agh!

MEREDITH: I said back off!!!

She kicks Damon in the stomach, and he falls to the ground.

MEREDITH: I—this is—what is going on?????

She runs out of the alley and makes a dash down the street. As she runs, however, the buildings blur around her. Before Meredith realizes what’s happening, she finds herself several blocks away—right in front of her house.

MEREDITH: What’s happening to me? I don’t…this can’t…

She goes to her front door, trying to open it—and tears it right off its hinges.

MEREDITH: Mom?!? Dad?!?

She runs up the stairs, locking herself in the bathroom.

MEREDITH: (whispering) Vampire. He’s a vampire—they both are!

She examines her neck in the mirror—at the two puncture holes that are quite visible.

MEREDITH: I was bitten by a vampire?

However, as Meredith inspects the wound, something strange starts to happen—it closes up. In seconds, her neck is completely healed.

Meredith stumbles backwards, falling to the bathroom floor in shock.

MEREDITH: Oh my god…

*****

The boarding house…

Stefan and Matt stand outside as Jeremy helps Bonnie in.

MATT: Is she going to be ok?

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: Bonnie's strong. One of the strongest people I've ever met, and I've been around awhile.

MATT: She almost died tonight.

Stefan turns to him.

STEFAN: But she didn't, thanks to you.

Matt shakes his head.

MATT: Me? You're the one who saved her, Stefan--not me. You're the hero here. I'm just...

STEFAN: What, Matt? You’re the person who got her to safety, without any powers, or any advantages to speak of. You knew it was dangerous, but you did it anyway.

MATT: I couldn't just do nothing.

Matt stands there, a bewildered look on his face.

MATT: Is this what you live with every day?

STEFAN: Not every day. I wish I didn't, Matt--I really do. I would give anything to be able to live a normal life.

Matt looks at him, confused.

MATT: But--you're not normal.

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: You're right...but I want to be. That's all I've ever wanted. When I came back to this town, it wasn't to disrupt your lives here. I wanted to, just for a little while, forget what I am. Go to school, make friends, fall in love--to have a life! After all these years, I just wanted to go home.

Matt's face softens, and for the first time he looks at Stefan with sympathy in his eyes.

STEFAN: But you're right--as long as I'm around, there is always going to be danger.

MATT: Stefan--when I said that, I was scared. I found out everything that happened, and I just--I wanted someone to blame. Some way of fixing things back to the way they were before.

He sighs.

MATT: But they were never normal, were they? Even before you got here, Elena's folks and Tyler's folks and Caroline's mom were still hiding all this from me. Things here were never normal--I just didn't know it until now.

They walk away from the boarding house.

MATT: I'm not mad anymore, though. I know why they lied--because, honestly, I wish I didn't know about vampires, or witches or curses or any of them. Then I could live my life without constantly looking over my shoulder. This Klaus guy--he's still out there, isn't he?

A guilty look fills Stefan's face.

STEFAN: I'm sorry, Matt. We couldn't kill him. All we could do was trap him.

MATT: I know--that's not what I'm getting at. Even if he never comes back, there's probably more like him out there, right? Real monsters, inside and out, who don't care about who they hurt. What I'm saying is--I'm glad to know there's someone looking out for us, too.

STEFAN: Thank you, Matt--for trusting me.

Matt smiles.

MATT: I trust my friends.

Behind them, Vicki peers through the woods. Her eyes meet Stefan's, who gives a small nod.

The broken clock is a comfort,
It helps me sleep tonight

STEFAN: I promise, if you want to stay out of this, Matt, we'll keep it to ourselves. No one would blame you for keeping your distance.

Matt shakes his head.

MATT: See, that's the thing--I don't think I can.

Stefan sighs.

STEFAN: Matt...

Maybe it can stop tomorrow
From stealing all my time

MATT: You, Elena, Bonnie, Caroline--I think you need someone like me around. Someone to remind you just what it is you're fighting for. I mean, don't take this the wrong way--but I don't think vampire-hunting is for me.

Stefan laughs.

MATT: But, if a normal life's really what you're after, I'm all about that. When all this supernatural stuff gets to be too much, just remember you've got a friend if you need one.

And I am here still waiting
Though I still have my doubts

STEFAN: You mean that? You can overlook the fact we're not human?

Matt scoffs.

MATT: After tonight, I think you're the most human people I've ever met. I'll get used to it. That is--if you can forgive me for being a total tool.

STEFAN: I know one person who'll be happy to hear that.

Behind Matt, Vicki steps out of the woods. Matt hears the footsteps, preparing himself for what he thinks is a conversation that’s overdue.

I am damaged at best,
Like you've already figured out

MATT: Care, I...

He turns around; coming face-to-face with the last person he ever expected to see again.

I'm falling apart,
I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart
That's still beating

Matt's face becomes a mixture of emotions: shock, fear, confusion, anguish--disbelief.

MATT: (whispering) Oh my god...

In the pain,
There is healing
In your name
I find meaning

Vicki walks forward, looking uncertain and afraid.

VICKI: I'm...I'm sorry.

So I'm holdin' on,
I'm holdin' on,
I'm holdin' on
I'm barely holdin' on to you

Matt shakes his head, refusing to believe what's right in front of him.

MATT: Are--are you another drople-whatever? A copy? Some kind of magic clone, or...?

The broken locks were a warning
you got inside my head

Vicki shakes her head.

MATT: (voice breaking)You died.

VICKI: I know...

I tried my best to be guarded,
I'm an open book instead

MATT: They said you were dead.

VICKI: I was. I came back.

I still see your reflection
Inside of my eyes

Matt turns to Stefan, looking for answers.

That are looking for purpose,
they're still looking for life

STEFAN: There's a good side and a bad side to living in my world Matt. Most of the time, you can only see the bad. There's death, there's pain, there's misery--but every once in awhile, it does balance out. Sometimes we get a second chance.

I'm falling apart,
I'm barely breathing

Matt looks back to Vicki, his breath caught in his throat.

MATT: (whispering) Vic...you were dead.

With a broken heart
that's still beating

VICKI: I still am. Uh--undead, I guess.

MATT: You're--you're one of them?

In the pain,
is there healing

She nods, and her face transforms. Matt stares at her in shock.

VICKI: I know how you feel about--about people like me, Matt.

In your name
I find meaning

A devastated look fills Matt's face as he hears her words.

VICKI: But I--I just had to see you one last time. I had to say I was sorry--I'm sorry for ruining your life, for abandoning you when you needed me. But--but I'm a vampire now, so I understand if you hate me.

Matt swallows his fear, and takes a step closer.

VICKI: Just--please, don't blame them. I wasted my life, and I...I never knew what I had until it was gone.

So I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin')
I'm barely holdin' on to you

Matt looks into her blood-red eyes and starts to cry.

MATT: Vic...

I'm hangin' on
Another day

Then...he hugs her.

MATT: You're my sister...I don't care what you are.

Just to see what
You throw my way

Overwhelmed with emotion, Vicki hugs him back--her face returning to normal. Matt closes his eyes, smiling--looking happier than he has in a long while.

And I'm hanging on
To the words you say

Several feet away, Stefan watches the display with a smile on his face. He turns towards the front door of the boarding house, seeing Elena waiting there for him.

STEFAN: Elena?

You said that I will
Be okay

Stefan walks over, and Elena hugs him.

ELENA: I heard about what happened. I came to talk to Matt, but...

STEFAN: It's ok. Just give them a moment.

The broken lights on the freeway
left me here alone

Elena looks over at the reunited family, and can’t help but smile.

ELENA: Are you sure that was the right thing to do?

Stefan shakes his head.

STEFAN: No--but he deserved to know.

She smiles at him.

I may have lost my way now,
Haven't forgotten my way home

STEFAN: Elena, what I did to do…

ELENA: Let’s not do this right now, ok?

Stefan shakes his head.

I'm falling apart,
I'm barely breathing

STEFAN: No, I—you have to know hurting you was the last thing I ever wanted. I promise you, Elena, that I you will never have to go through that at my hands again.

ELENA: You can’t promise that, Stefan.

A hurt look crosses his face.

With a broken heart
That's still beating

ELENA: As long as you and I are together, there’s always going to be a danger. What happened last night—it’s a part of you, Stefan. I wish it wasn’t, but—but I have to accept it.

STEFAN: Doesn’t it scare you?

Elena nods.

In the pain
There is healing

ELENA: Of course it does. It always has, Stefan—but I’m not going to turn away from you just because I’m afraid. I love you, Stefan, and that means that I love every part of you.

Stefan sighs.

STEFAN: What did I ever do to deserve you?

Elena smiles at him.

In your name
I find meaning

ELENA: Your vampire side may be a part of you, Stefan, but it’s not all you are. It would be so easy for you to just give in like that all the time, but you don’t. You fight it! You use it to help people, like what you did for Bonnie tonight. You’re a good man, Stefan Salvatore. I trust you--and I am so proud of you.

Stefan leans down to kiss her, and his face starts to change.

ELENA: I'm sorry...

STEFAN: No, wait...just wait.

So I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm barely holdin' on to you

Stefan closes his eyes, breathing deeply. When he opens them, Elena stares into his deep green eyes. Stefan leans down, and kisses her--a soft kiss, but a meaningful one.

Once the kiss ends, Stefan leans his forehead against Elena's, sighing in relief.

ELENA: Are you ok?

Stefan smiles.

STEFAN: I'm getting there.

I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm holdin' on (I'm still holdin'),
I'm barely holdin' on to you

*****

The next morning…

Meredith stands in her driveway, staring at the car parked there. She takes a deep breath, walking up to it.

MEREDITH: Ok—here goes nothing…

She places her hands on the car and tries to lift it. However, no matter how much she strains her muscles, she can’t budge it an inch.

MEREDITH: I don’t understand.

She stares at her hands in confusion.

MEREDITH: Did I just imagine everything?

She looks up at the sun shining in the sky, all memory of the night before seeming almost vague.

*****

Outside the Gilbert house…

ELENA: You think Matt’s going to be ok now?

Stefan nods.

STEFAN: Yeah, I think so. A big part of why he distrusted us so much was because of Vicki’s death.

Elena smiles.

ELENA: I’m sure Caroline’s going to be happy to hear that.

STEFAN: He was very brave last night. I hope he never has to take that kind of risk again.

Elena bites her lip.

ELENA: Stefan? I—I’ve decided what I want to do about the Katherine situation.

Stefan pauses.

STEFAN: Ok—just give me a few days. I’ll get everyone together, and we can come up with a plan.

Elena shakes her head.

ELENA: No, Stefan—there’s no plan. I want you to let her stay.

Stefan’s eyes go wide.

STEFAN: Excuse me?

ELENA: Just hear me out, ok? You remember how Damon was when you and I first met? He was a monster—a remorseless killer. Just like Katherine. Now look at him. Maybe we’ve been going about this the wrong way? Maybe, instead of trying to stop Katherine, we should be reaching out to her?

STEFAN: Katherine’s different, Elena. Whatever humanity she had died long before I ever met her.

ELENA: I thought so, too. But Stefan—there was no reason for her to bring Damon the cure. When Klaus let her go, she could have just taken it and ran—but she didn’t. She saved his life, Stefan. There is good in her.

Stefan appears unsure.

ELENA: I know this is a lot to ask…

STEFAN: It is a lot to ask.

Elena’s face falls.

STEFAN: But—I’ve asked a lot from you in regards to our relationship, haven’t I? I might not agree with you, Elena, but I will stand by you—whatever you plan to do.

Stefan kisses her, cautiously.

STEFAN: Just, please—be careful.

ELENA: I will.

STEFAN: I love you.

Elena kisses him back, smiling.

ELENA: I know.

She walks inside, while Stefan stays on the porch.

DAMON: Well, isn’t that sweet? The missus wants to get to know the ex—I think I may wretch!

Stefan turns to see Damon standing on the grass. He jumps down, giving Damon an annoyed look.

STEFAN: And where were you last night?

DAMON: Doing something important!

Stefan shakes his head in disbelief.

STEFAN: More important than saving Bonnie's life? Or stopping Klaus from being reanimated?

DAMON: If I'm right, and you had better hope to god I'm not, Klaus might not be the only wampire hybrid we have to worry about anymore.

Stefan stares at him, wide-eyed.

STEFAN: Just tell me what happened.

Damon nods.

DAMON: I wasn't there tonight because an old friend of yours was holding me against my will!

STEFAN: What? Who?

Damon sighs.

DAMON: I've done a lot of things to you in the past hundred and forty-five years, Stefan--I've got a lot to make up for. But it can be safe to say at least one of my sins can be taken off that list.

STEFAN: What are you...?

DAMON: It was Lexi, Stefan.

Stefan freezes.

DAMON: Lexi's alive.

A shocked expression covers Stefan's face.


WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER - Caroline's impending birthday depresses her, as the implications of her immortality start to sink in. Stefan feels betrayed when he discovers his oldest friend has been lying to him since the moment they met. Damon becomes furious when he hears about Elena's plan to deal with Katherine. Jeremy goes behind Bonnie's back in the hopes of discovering what's happened to him.

See a preview for # 304 - Forever Young